Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The two tight end set is a critical factor in the Reid offense. Last year the Eagles utilized 12 more than any other team. The world champs were 5th. The Bears were dead last. I don't think Nagy doesn’t like the concept, he didn’t have the personnel. Now he has flexibility because they added Graham, Harris and Kmet. Jimmy Graham and either Kmet or Harris is light years better than anything they could throw out there last year after Burton was injured. In 2018, Burton was effective and the whole offense while not great was fairly efficient and could at least carry some of the weight.

In 12, it’s easier to run the ball and use play action. It is also easier to mask whether you’re running or throwing the ball.

Jesper Horsted showed some promise and athleticism catching the ball. Mixing him in with Kmet or Harris will be interesting too. Holtz might make the team too as a fullback. I would not be shocked if they kept Graham, Kmet. Harris, Horsted and Holtz. The burrito boy is a goner.

I believe the ability to effectively utilize 12 will result in a big improvement on offense.

Last edited:

jonimus

Liked Posts:
Agree 1000%. I also think they may think they have more of a player in somebody like horsted - but more difficult to effectively utilize without being in 12 with a high quality y.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Agree 1000%. I also think they may think they have more of a player in somebody like horsted - but more difficult to effectively utilize without being in 12 with a high quality y.

I think in the short window we saw him, Horsted exhibited a higher ceiling than someone like Ben B. I love that TD catch he made in Detroit on Thanksgiving.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Another thing that might help is if someone tells the OL who they should block.
12 personal can also help with the blocking in both the run and pass game. If your TEs create mismatches against LBs then the opponent starts sending nickle and dime packages to counter. From there if you go run heavy in theory your bigger TEs can grind at those corners.

TEs can also help by chipping.

All the same, 12 is good. The issue you come across is injuries. Many teams don't have 1 good TE, let alone 2. If you have 2 it's rare that you'll have a 3rd and TEs deal with a lot of physical contact throughout the season.

Liked Posts:
The two tight end set is a critical factor in the Reid offense. Last year the Eagles utilized 12 more than any other team. The world champs were 5th. The Bears were dead last. I don think Nagy doesn’t like the concept, he didn’t have the personnel. Now he has flexibility because they added Graham, Harris and Kmet. Jimmy Graham and either Kmet or Harris is light years better than anything they could throw out there last year after Burton was injured. In 2018, Burton was effective and the whole offense while not great was fairly efficient and could at least carry some of the weight.

In 12, it’s easier to run the ball and use play action. It is also easier to mask whether you’re running or throwing the ball.

Jesper Horsted showed some promise and athleticism catching the ball. Mixing him in with Kmet or Harris will be interesting too. Holtz might make the team too as a fullback. I would not be shocked if they kept Graham, Kmet. Harris, Horsted and Holtz. The burrito boy is a goner.

I believe the ability to effectively utilize 12 will result in a big improvement on offense.

Love that you brought up line up in 12. Nice to see some accurate clarification around the pick and why the Bears made it and almost had to make it.

Hopefully it will get some of the naysayers of the pick to at least grasp the reasoning around it.

Look at the teams you mentioned and they all fall from that WC/RPO Reid coaching tree. I think the Rams do also(I think).

Even though Nagy may or may not have said at one point that he wasnt going to run Reids offense, it doesnt change that Nagys system is still built on the same basic fundamentals.

In a nutshell, we need a solid QB who can deceptively set up the RPO, through not one, but two capable TEs, along with a do it all receiving HB, in order to open up the outside WRs. That basic concept isnt going to change.

This is why I was pissed when Burton went down before that home opener against GB. It did have a negative ripple effect across to whole of the offense.

Right from the get go GB exploited the Bears weakness at TE immediately by sugar blitzing the A GAPs, stacking the box. Not having Burton out there effectively allowed GB to key in on Cohen, and tee off on the Bears O-Line.

Nagy went through this when KC lost Kelce in the playoffs. Then there was the Burton injury that did hurt a young QB that already has his share of shortcomings..

Good post.

Last edited:

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
The two tight end set is a critical factor in the Reid offense. Last year the Eagles utilized 12 more than any other team. The world champs were 5th. The Bears were dead last. I don think Nagy doesn’t like the concept, he didn’t have the personnel. Now he has flexibility because they added Graham, Harris and Kmet. Jimmy Graham and either Kmet or Harris is light years better than anything they could throw out there last year after Burton was injured. In 2018, Burton was effective and the whole offense while not great was fairly efficient and could at least carry some of the weight.

not sure horsted will make the team...while he's shown decent ball skills and body control, he gets minimal separation and his blocking is atrocious...If he comes in and makes rapid strides in blocking he have a chance but at this point if the bears do keep 5, imo its braunecker's job to lose.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
not sure horsted will make the team...while he's shown decent ball skills and body control, he gets minimal separation and his blocking is atrocious...If he comes in and makes rapid strides in blocking he have a chance but at this point if the bears do keep 5, imo its braunecker's job to lose.

I just like the fact that behind Graham, Kmet and Harris these guys are going to really have to compete to make the 53. Also, Pace re-shaped the TE room so they can now effectively operate out of 12.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

'Lining up in 12' is 2 TEs and 1 RB formation, right? Anything more specific than that?

I think Nagy will want to employ that for a lot of reasons. Montgomery breaks tackles or makes them miss, with the best of them. We might finally see some well equipped Nagy schemes.

More importantly, I would assume the 12 Formation tends to take the pressure off the QB. As Trub is a good runner, might help with running the Option as well. I'm kinda expecting Foles to start, but who knows. Would be fun if Wonka switched out Foles and Trub throughout the game, but I know that's extremely unlikely.

Last edited:

greg23

Liked Posts:
'Lining up in 12' is a 2 TEs and 1 RB formation, right? Anything more specific than that?

I think Nagy will be into that as well. Montgomery breaks tackles or makes them miss, with the best of them. We might finally see some well equipped Nagy schemes.

More importantly, I would assume the 12 Formation tends to take the pressure off the QB. As Trub is a good runner, might help with running the Option as well. I'm kinda expecting Foles to start, but who knows. Would be fun if Wonka switched out Foles and Trub throughout the game, but I know that's extremely unlikely.

line up in the 1-2-3 formation with bray baby!!!

1 rb
2 te
3 qb

defenses wouldn't know what to do!

#BHVWGHC

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
'Lining up in 12' is a 2 TEs and 1 RB formation, right? Anything more specific than that?

I think Nagy will be into that as well. Montgomery breaks tackles or makes them miss, with the best of them. We might finally see some well equipped Nagy schemes.

You are correct

12 personnel means anything that involves 1 running back and 2 tight ends

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide

Thank god the The burrito boy is a goner.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Thank god the The burrito boy is a goner.

I think he's one of those guys that never embraced the fact that once you're drafted, you have to bust your ass to get better and stronger. I could be wrong but he never appeared to even make the attempt to build NFL strength in the weight room.

He seemed to be satisfied just getting drafted. I never read anywhere about his burning desire to do anything but eat burritos.

Last edited:

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Well stated and something that's overlooked as a foundation of this offense. What's interesting is, From all of the games I watched. Foles seems to be most successful in 3×1 sets with an iso matchup on the backside. Seems very quick to diagnose the mismatch determined by diagnosing the coverage presnap.