Literal Shocking News on Robert Quinn

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Having Quinn healthy is certain key.

Also, don't forget having Goldman back at nose and letting Nichols only have to slide inside on obvious passing downs will help.

Nichols had 5 sacks last year and played out of position, that number could easily increase.

A few more sacks out of Nichols and a healthy season by Quinn and the defense will be good enough.
I think it's borderline likely that Nichols becomes the new Akeim Hicks of the defense while the real Akeim Hicks becomes less Akeim Hicks than prior versions of Akeim Hicks.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
People act like losing Kyle Fuller is a death knell to this defense but I've got a creeping suspicion that Desai has plans to challenge receivers at the LOS while Fuller almost exclusively played off coverage. Not that Fuller isn't a good player for what he does but he may not have been an ideal fit, making the cap savings more attractive.

I get what you are saying

but even without press, Fuller was still good at coverage on short routes

shit, all those highlight hits came on short stuff. don't gotta be in press man to protect underneath routes

not tryna say there wasn't problems under Pagano. Just saying I don't think Fuller was one of them. He was good under Fangio and would have been good under Desai.

Sucks he was a cap casualty. It's not the end of the world, but also don't have to disparage the dude either. He was a stud pretty much the whole time he was in Chi.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I get what you are saying

but even without press, Fuller was still good at coverage on short routes

shit, all those highlight hits came on short stuff. don't gotta be in press man to protect underneath routes

not tryna say there wasn't problems under Pagano. Just saying I don't think Fuller was one of them. He was good under Fangio and would have been good under Desai.

Sucks he was a cap casualty. It's not the end of the world, but also don't have to disparage the dude either.
I'm not disparaging him. I said he was a good player for what he does. I just have a suspicion that Desai might not value his skillset as much as we do, at least enough do to make him worth a cut for the much needed cap space to apply elsewhere.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not disparaging him. I said he was a good player for what he does. I just have a suspicion that Desai might not value his skillset as much as we do, at least enough do to make him worth a cut for the much needed cap space to apply elsewhere.

and I'm saying that's silly. people tryin to feel better about losing a guy to the cap and going on about skill sets. All while Fuller excelled under every DC in every scheme he played in while in Chi.

Again, not the end of the world, but cmon.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Made this point before. Quinn had better underlying metrics than Floyd. Pagano having the CBs playing soft didnt help Mack or Quinn. That and Quinn was just unusually unlucky last year in not finishing.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
and I'm saying that's silly. people tryin to feel better about losing a guy to the cap and going on about skill sets. All while Fuller excelled under every DC in every scheme he played in while in Chi.

Again, not the end of the world, but cmon.
Fair enough.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
When I see a thread titled "Literal Shocking News About Quinn", I expect to see a story about electrocution or being attacked by an eel while swimming in the gulf or something.
I was pretty disappointed myself

Visionman

Liked Posts:
People act like losing Kyle Fuller is a death knell to this defense but I've got a creeping suspicion that Desai has plans to challenge receivers at the LOS while Fuller almost exclusively played off coverage. Not that Fuller isn't a good player for what he does but he may not have been an ideal fit, making the cap savings more attractive.
Exactly what I’ve been saying since Fuller was released. Good player...but maybe not the best fit for how this defense is constructed.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
If running straight up the field , while the QB takes 1 step forward, and then disappear is disruption. Sign me up!

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
I get it but he’s always been pretty good about keeping the front 7 pretty stacked. Last year with Goldman opting out wasn’t foreseeable but not having a legit backup NT has been a problem for awhile now. They liked Nichols there but shouldn’t have relied on it.

Goldman IMO is one of the better NT in the league replacing him in the 3rd wave of FA wasn’t going to happen.
In 2018 yes. Not in 2019, he struggled. 2020 sat at home. 2021 TBD.

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
Someone had Quinn top 10 in 2020. 46 total disruptions? ?

TOP DISRUPTORS IN 2020

Robert Quinn
Chicago Bears · DE
Disruption rate: 15%
Sack rate: 0.7%
Total disruptions: 46
Sacks: 2

Quinn was a top-three disruptor in 2019, which is why the Bears were willing to sign him to a five-year, $70 million deal in 2020. Good news for the Bears: He's still a top-10 disruptor at 31 years old. Quinn has eye-popping speed off the edge, posting an average get-off of 0.8 seconds or less in each of the last five seasons. He finished with the fourth-fastest average time to hurry (any time a player gets within 1.5 yards of a QB from snap to pass) in 2020 at 2.75 seconds. His sack total, however, is not what you'd expect for a player making $14 million per year. Quinn tied for the fewest sacks of any player who has posted a 12 percent or better pressure rate and 300-plus pass rushes in a single season during the Next Gen Stats era (since 2016), meaning his sack total should be higher than it was in 2020. That's what Bears fans hope will happen in 2021. I know it might be a surprise to see Quinn included here, but keep in mind that sacks are not an all-encompassing stat. Quinn was still making a difference even if he wasn't getting home often in 2020.

I can confirm that this news of Robert Quinn was literally shocking to me.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Sack the QB.
35f960d3c6e968ce4db31a9bc0040162.gif

cutlershoulder.gif

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I was beginning to see him flashing at the end of the year. And he was very fast in small flashes

In hindsight He wasn't getting many snaps to start the year and one has to imagine his injury played a bigger role than he wants to admit. Add in Pagano being soft. A weaker run defense. I think he is primed for a bounce back year.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Someone had Quinn top 10 in 2020. 46 total disruptions? ?

TOP DISRUPTORS IN 2020

Robert Quinn
Chicago Bears · DE
Disruption rate: 15%
Sack rate: 0.7%
Total disruptions: 46
Sacks: 2

Quinn was a top-three disruptor in 2019, which is why the Bears were willing to sign him to a five-year, $70 million deal in 2020. Good news for the Bears: He's still a top-10 disruptor at 31 years old. Quinn has eye-popping speed off the edge, posting an average get-off of 0.8 seconds or less in each of the last five seasons. He finished with the fourth-fastest average time to hurry (any time a player gets within 1.5 yards of a QB from snap to pass) in 2020 at 2.75 seconds. His sack total, however, is not what you'd expect for a player making $14 million per year. Quinn tied for the fewest sacks of any player who has posted a 12 percent or better pressure rate and 300-plus pass rushes in a single season during the Next Gen Stats era (since 2016), meaning his sack total should be higher than it was in 2020. That's what Bears fans hope will happen in 2021. I know it might be a surprise to see Quinn included here, but keep in mind that sacks are not an all-encompassing stat. Quinn was still making a difference even if he wasn't getting home often in 2020.

And I thought it was going to be some news about Quinn using some form of shock therapy to heal his injuries.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Quinn is a sunk cost at this point so anything you get out of him will help mitigate that horrible contract.

I do expect him to be better in year 2 due to a number of factors starting with his health. I expect better utilization under Desai / Petine. The return of Goldman at nose strengthens the whole front 7. And putting Nichols back in rotation at DE will allow Hicks to play a more realistic snap count.

So I'll cross my fingers and hope he—and the defense as a whole—has a bounce back year.