LOL At Jeff Samardzija.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs Den reports Samardzija could be looking for 8 figures and a NTC. A NTC seriously? Don't only good players get that if the team cares about handing one out? Trade him to the Jaguars, I bet they can use offense and he can play QB for them too.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
He must have been listening to the people that said he was better than Garza.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
The 8 figures really isn't that unreasonable in the market these days. I mean E-Jax got that and Shark is better than him. But yeah the NTC should be a no go with the new front office but honestly they will start having to give them to some guys

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah 8 figures isn't, that's just 10 million and above, but I would look to trade him before I give that to him. The NTC is a joke and the FO may, but Samardzija is no where close to the level of that. It's funny to think about.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Question on ceilings in general and not to a specific player. When do ceilings crash or raise?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Question on ceilings in general and not to a specific player. When do ceilings crash or raise?

I don't think they raise very often but fall is I think dependent on player. Hitters I think have a much more predictable career arc that if they don't figure out by 27 or 28 then very few establish new ceilings. Pitchers are a bit different where very slight changes can result in dramatic improvements. To make this player specific, Samardzija is a bit of a unique case given that he wasn't a baseball specific athlete until his early 20s. The stuff is there to be a top of the rotation starter. The question is does he develop the consistency to be a top of the rotation starter or is he a middle to back of the rotation starter because he has stretches like June 2012 or the second half of 2013.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
ok so using Jeff, how would you know that his ceiling has fallen and that perhaps he has peaked. Perhaps he's a Gavin Floyd type instead of a Mat Latos. :shrug:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I personally think he'll be traded at some point this offseason, but who knows :lol:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
ok so using Jeff, how would you know that his ceiling has fallen and that perhaps he has peaked. Perhaps he's a Gavin Floyd type instead of a Mat Latos. :shrug:
We don't know which is what the original poster was raising. The stuff is there and there are extenuating circumstances that suggest he might not have peaked. Does it mean he turns into Mat Latos? No and I say the odds are better that he is closer to Gavin Floyd than Latos. But it isn't something which any of us know at this point.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
We don't know which is what the original poster was raising. The stuff is there and there are extenuating circumstances that suggest he might not have peaked. Does it mean he turns into Mat Latos? No and I say the odds are better that he is closer to Gavin Floyd than Latos. But it isn't something which any of us know at this point.

I agree but than folks that say he's no longer a #1 ceiling shouldn't be laughed at just like those that say he is shouldn't be.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I personally think he'll be traded at some point this offseason, but who knows :lol:

Haven;t seen you around outside of your mod powers. Hiope all is well at WSD

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He is a 3 at best right now. He may improve.

I would delay at this point and go after Tanaka. If they get Tanaka then shop Shark's remaining 2 years out for prospects.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I don't think the new cub regime is gonna be handing out NTC contracts anymore like the old regime used to. The NTC is the single biggest thing handcuffing the cubs the last decade. The guy is fuckin crazy! Every player wants a NTC when they play with the cubs so they can have a 'day job'. Fuck that, how about actual performance for a change?