Long Term Solution at QB-Thread

coolio

Liked Posts:
The Chicago Bears have only drafted 2 qbs in the last 20 years in the first round. Both of them suck. Idk about you guys, but I'm fine bringing in a vet to start for 1-2 years and then draft a new one. In a perfect world, Mitch would ascend as a good starting QB, or we would suck ass for either Lawrence or Fields.

My theory is were bringing in Dalton. Mitch will go in next year with a short leash and lose his job after 3-4 games. Dalton comes in and we float in mediocrity or he has a Ryan Tannehill resurgence. With Dalton this year I believe we would have made the playoffs, but not get to the superbowl.

How is the 2021 QB class though? I don't think it's good after the #1 and #2 guy

jive

Liked Posts:
Take a QB this draft with one of the picks in rounds 5-7 as a lottery ticket. If we get a guy that's an NFL starting caliber QB or better, then that's awesome. That means we don't have to draft one in the first round of 2021. If the guy busts, then oh well. No big loss. Then you know that you should draft one in the first round of 2021, and that class is as deep or deeper than this one.
We have needs at CB, OLB, S, OT, OG, WR, and TE. We're more likely to hit in those positions in the 2nd round than a QB.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
if you can find footage that isn’t a highlight reel sure I’ll review it

Ok....take a look at this Utah vs. USC footage ( it's only 8m). It shows Huntley under duress and making some good & bad passes. Utah did win.

coolio

Liked Posts:
Take a QB this draft with one of the picks in rounds 5-7 as a lottery ticket. If we get a guy that's an NFL starting caliber QB or better, then that's awesome. That means we don't have to draft one in the first round of 2021. If the guy busts, then oh well. No big loss. Then you know that you should draft one in the first round of 2021, and that class is as deep or deeper than this one.
We have needs at CB, OLB, S, OT, OG, WR, and TE. We're more likely to hit in those positions in the 2nd round than a QB.

2021 class is weaker than this one. Besides Trevor and Fields who's in it? Sam Ehlinger? Kellen Mond? This class is going to have 5 QBs potentially taken in the first round. Tua, Herbert, Burrow, Love maybe, and Eason in first or very early second.

jive

Liked Posts:
2021 class is weaker than this one. Besides Trevor and Fields who's in it? Sam Ehlinger? Kellen Mond? This class is going to have 5 QBs potentially taken in the first round. Tua, Herbert, Burrow, Love maybe, and Eason in first or very early second.
Probably more like 3:Burrow, Tua, and Herbert. Eason will probably go in the 2nd, and Love could last past the 2nd.
Following year, it's probably Lawrence and Fields, and probably Ehlinger. As far as later rounds or guys that can creep into the first round, there's some interesting folks like Purdy, Trask, Howell, etc., .We'll see.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Have not read through so if already said, cool.

There will be no long term solution at QB this year. Mitch is the guy. Pace is circling around Mitch. He basically has to. He cannot bring in a challenger or a future replacement without admitting that Mitch was a miss and cannot be trusted to step up and be the franchise guy. He simply won't do that imo.

Long term solution at QB comes when the Mitch experiment is officially over and that just isn't the case yet and when it is officially over, it will be with a different regime.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Have not read through so if already said, cool.

There will be no long term solution at QB this year. Mitch is the guy. Pace is circling around Mitch. He basically has to. He cannot bring in a challenger or a future replacement without admitting that Mitch was a miss and cannot be trusted to step up and be the franchise guy. He simply won't do that imo.

Long term solution at QB comes when the Mitch experiment is officially over and that just isn't the case yet and when it is officially over, it will be with a different regime.

Pace and Nagy will get another QB.

It will not come till 2021, but they will get to pick another QB.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I want us to draft Malcolm Perry this year and bring in Josh Rosen. I think that would be nice competition. I wouldn't mind the original Red Raider from the Bengals, Dalton.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Pace and Nagy will get another QB.

It will not come till 2021, but they will get to pick another QB.

What exactly do you think happens in 2020? If we miss playoffs again, they are out. George is staving off fan anger for now but not for another year. If they make the playoffs and Mitch still stinks, they would get another shot at QB sure.

But the ONLY way for your post to be true is to have Pace, Nagy and Mitch lead us back to the playoffs in 2020. Not enough rose paint in the world for my glasses to be able to visualize it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Probably more like 3:Burrow, Tua, and Herbert. Eason will probably go in the 2nd, and Love could last past the 2nd.
Following year, it's probably Lawrence and Fields, and probably Ehlinger. As far as later rounds or guys that can creep into the first round, there's some interesting folks like Purdy, Trask, Howell, etc., .We'll see.
Except Eason will throw a pretty ball at the combine and everybody will go whoa, and he will be overdrafted in late 1st.

If we get Fromm its probably because he is trash.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What exactly do you think happens in 2020? If we miss playoffs again, they are out. George is staving off fan anger for now but not for another year. If they make the playoffs and Mitch still stinks, they would get another shot at QB sure.

But the ONLY way for your post to be true is to have Pace, Nagy and Mitch lead us back to the playoffs in 2020. Not enough rose paint in the world for my glasses to be able to visualize it.

I'd like to give Nagy 2 more years after you release Pace and Trubisky. If Pace wants to tie in to Trubisky for his final year chance, thats on him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

They don’t want to make a change. They are not firing them with a combined 3 years left on their deals.

They just gave Pace 150 million of their money to spend on Halas.

George pretty much deferred to Pace on everything and didn’t utter a critical word aboit either.

The only way they get fired is if they go 2-14 and that isn’t happening.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
QB Nate Sudfeld has come up with a couple of media people as a possible target for them Bears.

Unproven, but would come with more potential long term upside than the old mediocre veteran route.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
QB Nate Sudfeld has come up with a couple of media people as a possible target for them Bears.

Unproven, but would come with more potential long term upside than the old mediocre veteran route.

I looked this guy up. He has the mobility of a OLineman. There's nothing that stands out with this guy (checked his Indy bckgd. no bowl wins). Might as well keep Bray.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I want us to draft Malcolm Perry this year and bring in Josh Rosen. I think that would be nice competition. I wouldn't mind the original Red Raider from the Bengals, Dalton.
Dalton is immobile and not a fit for our OL

Malcolm Perry was with the Navy. He's a "wishbone type Qb". I don't see how he can help at Qb

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i finished your sentence for you
Definitely not a good take after watching Foles play when he came back from injury. This was posted prior to all of that obviously.

I would pick Cam between the two today but don't think either are the answer.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
They don’t want to make a change. They are not firing them with a combined 3 years left on their deals.

George pretty much deferred to Pace on everything and didn’t utter a critical word aboit either.

I don't think you are right. George will eat the money if seats are empty ... and my take on the pulse of Chicago is that more bullshit wins over cupcake teams while losing to good to great teams will have the city even colder on the Bears than they were this past year. ... and a hell of a lot sooner too.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

This team was a couple of plays away from being 6-10. They go 6-10 next year and it’s firing time.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'd like to give Nagy 2 more years after you release Pace and Trubisky. If Pace wants to tie in to Trubisky for his final year chance, thats on him.

I suspect Nagy has been saying this behind the scenes a lot as well. I think Halas Hall is not healthy with Pace pointing at Nagy's obvious flaws in developing Mitch and gameplans and playcalling, and Nagy is pointing at Mitch saying he can't take the next step and is handcuffing him from what he wants to do. Problem is Pace is literally the one that brought both in to work together so Pace has absolutely no leg to stand on (even if Nagy has very little as well).

One might be tempted to say last year is last year and we are moving on, but I suspect it doesn't work out like that. And while the offseason might be one long and relatively peaceful cease-fire, losses will bring it all up again. Maybe even WINS where Mitch looks bad still.

EDIT: In before I am accused of speculation. Of course I am speculating. It could be possible that Pace, Nagy and Mitch all get on the same page and all bounce back in elite form. If anyone anywhere believed that, that's fine. I don't see how it could be justified but fine. And equally as speculative as mine, probably more so.