Long Term Solution at QB-Thread

46FEVER

Liked Posts:
Alex Smith. Draft an unproven mobil qb in later rounds from a college air raid type system. If Trubs loses the job preseason trade for ol or picks.

GibronGuy

Liked Posts:
I think a majority of the board is in agreement that Mitch isn't the long-term solution at QB. Of course he'll have this season & next to prove his worth to Pace and nagy, but I think it's time we start looking at viable long term options. In this short season so far he doesn't seem to have progressed, and I'd say he's regressed from last year. Hopefully Pace is evaluating this year's crop of QBs.

I've seen fans mention Kap, Eli and Ryan Fitzpatrick (still not sure if srs) as stop-gaps for this season. None of those guys is the long term solution we need at QB. None are better than Mitch either. These next two years look to be fairly deep at QB options. I think it's a good time for the Bears to find Mitch's possible replacement, or at the very least, competition to push him.

With no first round pick this year it's going to be hard to move up far enough for one of the top two QBs for 2020 (Tua Tag, or Justin Herbert). Behind them (if they enter the draft) are Jake Fromm, Jacob Eason, Jalen Hurts and KJ Costello. After that Trevor Lawrence, would have to mortgage a decade to move up for him, Sam Ehlinger and possibly Justin Fields.

It's time we start looking for our franchise QB (again). Who do you like and what would you like to see us do at QB in the next two years?

Good to see a reasonable interpretation of a player's performance and reasonable suggestions for making progress. So many on this board use terms like "bum" or "sucks" or "shit player" to describe a struggling NFL pro. Some of us gave football a shot when we were younger and for various reasons could not perform at a high enough level. Were we bums and shitheads? No, we just didn't have the natural abilities or picked up disqualifying injuries. Nobody's fault.

Seems like the worst we should say about a failing pro is that he "wasted his talents," and even that would likely be a bit of a guess at the circumstances. More likely, he gave it his best shot but fell just short.

My personal opinion is that Trubisky deserves more time. But planning for possible failure by looking at other options is reasonable.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I think a majority of the board is in agreement that Mitch isn't the long-term solution at QB. Of course he'll have this season & next to prove his worth to Pace and nagy, but I think it's time we start looking at viable long term options. In this short season so far he doesn't seem to have progressed, and I'd say he's regressed from last year. Hopefully Pace is evaluating this year's crop of QBs.

I've seen fans mention Kap, Eli and Ryan Fitzpatrick (still not sure if srs) as stop-gaps for this season. None of those guys is the long term solution we need at QB. None are better than Mitch either. These next two years look to be fairly deep at QB options. I think it's a good time for the Bears to find Mitch's possible replacement, or at the very least, competition to push him.

With no first round pick this year it's going to be hard to move up far enough for one of the top two QBs for 2020 (Tua Tag, or Justin Herbert). Behind them (if they enter the draft) are Jake Fromm, Jacob Eason, Jalen Hurts and KJ Costello. After that Trevor Lawrence, would have to mortgage a decade to move up for him, Sam Ehlinger and possibly Justin Fields.

It's time we start looking for our franchise QB (again). Who do you like and what would you like to see us do at QB in the next two years?

Thee answer is Joe Burrow. The problem is IMO he will be at worst the 2nd QB off the board.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Mitch has the talent. He is being mismanaged just like Cutler was. Similar to Jay (and this may be the only similarity), Mitch is not a pocket passer yet Nagy is trying to make him into a pocket passer. Get him out of the pocket, establish some sort of run game and get Mitch out of the pocket. His rhythm passing seems to be while on the run (see the dime pass to Gabriel from deep in the Washington game).

Why the league tries so desperately to turn every quarterback into a pocket passer is beyond me. Not everyone is Peyton Manning just like not everyone is Fran Tarkenton.

The league seems to understand this concept for literally every other position and coaches adapt to their strengths. Lesean McCoy would never be a feature back in a power between the tackles running game just like. Frank Gore would never be used as a speed back.

It's all made up bullshit rules that seems to have formed in league circles surrounding the Holy Quarterback position among other arbitrary BS QB narratives.

"You need to be a pocket passer to succeed."

"It takes 3 years for a quarterback to reach his potential or show he's a bust."

"He missed a wide open throw, time to question the entire trajectory of his career."

Despite my complete admiration and respect for Kap, Trubisky is the best chance to win a Superbowl if this bullshit pocket passer narrative can change.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
you could get way more then that, There isnt enough QBs and some GM/HC will think that they can make Mitch work in their system. We gave up multiple 1st and a few mid round picks for Cutler..
Yeah, I was going to say they could still get a 2nd to a team that really likes his attributes.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Thee answer is Joe Burrow. The problem is IMO he will be at worst the 2nd QB off the board.
I've given up the thought of getting a 1st round QB unless Pace grows a set of balls and trades Trubisky and some how gets a decent return. All highly unlikely. Most likely if they decide to draft a guy to compete with Trubisky, it'll be a 2nd rounder.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I've given up the thought of getting a 1st round QB unless Pace grows a set of balls and trades Trubisky and some how gets a decent return. All highly unlikely. Most likely if they decide to draft a guy to compete with Trubisky, it'll be a 2nd rounder.

How high in the 1st round could you get if you package the two 2nd rounders and Trubs?

It’s a pipe dream but that’s what this threads about.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I like Jalen Hurts, even more so with a year with Lincoln Riley.

He is a talented ball of clay Nagy could build into what he wants.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
How high in the 1st round could you get if you package the two 2nd rounders and Trubs?

It’s a pipe dream but that’s what this threads about.
Idk, I don't think two 2nds are enough to get you into the top ten. Would likely have to give up a 2021 1st rounder. I do not see the Bears giving up that much for a QB.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:

Yup. Sign a high priced veteran and you end up like the Vikings.

Draft someone next year as high as in the 2nd round and worst comes to worst you roll trubisky out there next year again.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

Agree but he is going to go in the first rd and potentially number 1 overall if he continues to have the year he is having.