Long Term Solution at QB-Thread

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think the over under is 5.5 wins on people losing their jobs.

They love Pace, they have turned the entire operation over to him, they do not want to pull the plug on everything.

Trubisky will be the scape goat for a bad 2020.

Best chance he has of becoming a GOAT.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Gonna bump this thread as we're halfway through the season. Trubisky benched, and Foles looks worse than Trubisky. Pace and Nagy obviously expected better play out of Foles. We need to totally revamp the QB room. The trade deadline is tomorrow. I don't see us trading for any QBs during the season, but I could see us throwing bodies at the position in the offseason similar to year the Seahawks found Russ Wilson (they also had Tavarris Jackson-RIP and Matt Flynn competing for that job).

The Redskins have said Haskins is available, but they're not actively shopping him. I have to imagine after the Jets draft Lawrence, Sam Darnold is available as well. Those may be two options in the offseason. Hopefully Pace is done trading away picks but I won't put it past him to trade for a QB again.

Then there's the draft. Obviously we won't be in a position to draft Lawrence, Fields and probably Trey Lance as well.

Let's take a look at the next tier of QB stats for 2020:

Kyle Trask (4 games): 95/139 (68.3%), 335 ypg, 18 TDs, 2 ints
Zach Wilson (7 games): 144/193 (74.6%), 307 ypg, 19 TDs, 2 ints, 7 rushing TDs
Kellen Mond (5 games): 101/156 (64.7%), 248 ypg, 12 TDs, 2 ints
Sam Ehlinger (6 games): 132/219 (60.3%), 275 ypg, 20 TDs, 5 ints, 7 rushing TDs

I'll throw in Trey Lance in case we tank the finish the year and he's in trade-up range. He's only playing one game this year. Here are his stats from that game. Not very impressive passing wise. He reminds me a lot of Jalen Hurts.

15/30 (50%), 149 yards, 2 TDs, 1 int, 15 rushes, 143 yards, 2 TDs (long of 54)

I hate that Jamie Newman opted out at UGA. I would've liked to see what he had this year as he had a good amount of buzz before opting out.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I think a majority of the board is in agreement that Mitch isn't the long-term solution at QB. Of course he'll have this season & next to prove his worth to Pace and nagy, but I think it's time we start looking at viable long term options. In this short season so far he doesn't seem to have progressed, and I'd say he's regressed from last year. Hopefully Pace is evaluating this year's crop of QBs.

I've seen fans mention Kap, Eli and Ryan Fitzpatrick (still not sure if srs) as stop-gaps for this season. None of those guys is the long term solution we need at QB. None are better than Mitch either. These next two years look to be fairly deep at QB options. I think it's a good time for the Bears to find Mitch's possible replacement, or at the very least, competition to push him.

With no first round pick this year it's going to be hard to move up far enough for one of the top two QBs for 2020 (Tua Tag, or Justin Herbert). Behind them (if they enter the draft) are Jake Fromm, Jacob Eason, Jalen Hurts and KJ Costello. After that Trevor Lawrence, would have to mortgage a decade to move up for him, Sam Ehlinger and possibly Justin Fields.

It's time we start looking for our franchise QB (again). Who do you like and what would you like to see us do at QB in the next two years?
If you can’t move up to get a decent one, you tough it out with Foles or Trubisky for another year and you pick a QB the following year. It’s that simple. We lose a year, oh well. That’s how it goes.

Marley's Liberality

Liked Posts:
I pray that Foles opts out of his contract. I don't think he will. It is very affordable for a starting QB but I don't want to go another year with him.

There will be stop gap guys on the market this year, like Fitzpatrick, Jameis or Alex Smith that would be better fits. Not great either.

My dream scenario is to wipe the slate clean on the QB position at the end of the season. Sign a stop gap and draft someone high if there is a fit.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
If you can’t move up to get a decent one, you tough it out with Foles or Trubisky for another year and you pick a QB the following year. It’s that simple. We lose a year, oh well. That’s how it goes.
I don't see the Bears winning more than 8 games this year which should have us drafting before 20. I think both Zach Wilson and Kyle Trask will be available there. It's just a matter of how much we like them. I don't think we can wait until the second to take a QB, or pull that move where a team trades back into the end of the first.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I don't see the Bears winning more than 8 games this year which should have us drafting before 20. I think both Zach Wilson and Kyle Trask will be available there. It's just a matter of how much we like them. I don't think we can wait until the second to take a QB, or pull that move where a team trades back into the end of the first.
That’s what it falls down to. If the GM doesn’t think the quarterbacks available are not a fit for the franchise, then they have to wait until next year.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Colin Kaepernick is the one and only option if Pace tries to eeek out another year of the quickly closing championship window with this present roster.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Matt Millers top 6 QBs. Nothing really earth shattering here, but does have 6 round 1 QBs.

- Lawrence
- Fields
- Lance
- Wilson (says Wilson will likely jump Lance in his ranks by end of year)
- Trask
- Mac Jones

Sleeper: Desmond Ridder

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
Colin Kaepernick is the one and only option if Pace tries to eeek out another year of the quickly closing championship window with this present roster.
Kap is 33 and he's been out of the league for 3+ years. He's definitely not the answer long-term.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Long term solution at qb
Simple
1. fire nagy and hire a coach whose actually capable of developing offensive talent
2. Build an offensive line via the draft
3. Draft a new young Qb and dont set him up for fucking fail build an offense that plays too his strengths

And there you have it

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes

Matt Millers top 6 QBs. Nothing really earth shattering here, but does have 6 round 1 QBs.

- Lawrence
- Fields
- Lance
- Trask
- Mac Jones

How the hell did he have Lance over Fields at any point?

If we continue to lose, which I expect with our offense, we should be in range for one of Lance/WIlson. Whichever of those two goes fourth among the QBs is the one we'll be in range for. No matter where we end up I think both Trask and Mac Jones are on the table for us. This is all assuming we're taking a QB in the first round.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

I don't have a problem with it. Ownership won't go for it.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Long term solution at qb
Simple
1. fire nagy and hire a coach whose actually capable of developing offensive talent
2. Build an offensive line via the draft
3. Draft a new young Qb and dont set him up for fucking fail build an offense that plays too his strengths

And there you have it
You're now the Interim GM for CCS's football team. You will double as GM/TE.

I would like to note that it is possible to draft a QB AND attack the OL. It doesn't have to be one before the other.

SUPERFAN

YUUUGE member
Liked Posts:
Lol @folks that think kap will be any good
Just a headache
And he doesnt want to play

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

- Lawrence
- Fields
- Lance
- Trask
- Mac Jones

How the hell did he have Lance over Fields at any point?

If we continue to lose, which I expect with our offense, we should be in range for one of Lance/WIlson. Whichever of those two goes fourth among the QBs is the one we'll be in range for. No matter where we end up I think both Trask and Mac Jones are on the table for us. This is all assuming we're taking a QB in the first round.

Trask and Mac Jones are not mobile and will need a good pass pro OL. So they are bad fits for the Bears

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they don’t go OL OL OL it doesn’t matter who’s back there.
I'd go 1) QB vs OL, 2) QB vs OL, 3) OL. Take LT and QB with first two picks, whoever is on the board they have rated higher in the first. On paper it's a deep enough QB class to get value in the second if there's a high ceiling LT sitting there around 20 or wherever they pick. There should be enough cap room to pick up a journeyman vet OL or two via FA or cuts as well.