Long Term Solution at QB-Thread

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Alex Smith would have the following cap hits the next three years

2020 - 16M (guaranteed)
2021 - 18.75 (base)
2022 - 20.75 (base)

If you did this and essentially traded Mitch for a pick that you flip to Washington for Smith with a conditional 2021 pick, then all of the sudden you might have something. With your two seconds in the 2020 draft, look at getting a guy like a Jacob Eason or Jake Fromm as a developmental guy, that's a really good play for me.

Your daily reminder the Bears have used

1 first
2 seconds
2 thirds
2 fourth

and walked away with Trubisky, Sheehan, and Miller. To blow that much draft capital and still end up where they are is a testament to a lot of other good moves that have a very short shelf life.

While some might want a guy like Foles or Dalton or someone else, Smith and his knowledge of the system and relationship with Nagy should be the determining factor there. If he's healthy, that's the guy who makes way more sense than anyone else.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
3 1st rounds for Russel Wilson.

The Bears have too many good players who are on rookie deals coming due as well as higher priced FA that are contributors that I don't believe the Bears can afford to give up first round picks AND take on a massive salary QB.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
How long term are we talking here? Long term big picture I want no part of salary cap eating QBs. Capitalizing on QB rookie contracts is the biggest competitive advantage you can get these days so unless you have a guy like Mahomes I'm not extending anyone or paying for any vet savior so they can get Nick Foles'd week 1.

2020 wise, if I'm Pace I'm looking at OG, OT, TE with those 2nd rounders and identify the next Gardner Minshew with the 5th or one of the 6ths.

Going forward, Pace needs to actually started doing the whole "we want to draft a QB every year" thing GM's always say they want to do. If he does that he should be able to develop a pipeline of young talent on rookie deals he can cycle every few years as needed.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:

1 first
2 seconds
2 thirds
2 fourth

Thanks for this tidbit. I've been wondering how many draft picks Pace has blown "getting his guy." Hopefully Miller works out.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Alex Smith would have the following cap hits the next three years

2020 - 16M (guaranteed)
2021 - 18.75 (base)
2022 - 20.75 (base)

If you did this and essentially traded Mitch for a pick that you flip to Washington for Smith with a conditional 2021 pick, then all of the sudden you might have something. With your two seconds in the 2020 draft, look at getting a guy like a Jacob Eason or Jake Fromm as a developmental guy, that's a really good play for me.

1 first
2 seconds
2 thirds
2 fourth

and walked away with Trubisky, Sheehan, and Miller. To blow that much draft capital and still end up where they are is a testament to a lot of other good moves that have a very short shelf life.

While some might want a guy like Foles or Dalton or someone else, Smith and his knowledge of the system and relationship with Nagy should be the determining factor there. If he's healthy, that's the guy who makes way more sense than anyone else.
a healthy Smith with this D would solve our problems..

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I wish I would have watched more Cardinals games when Rosen was playing. I know a lot of ppl here are saying he sucks, but how many games did they really watch? Are they just looking at his stat line? The dude never really had a chance.
Agree, I have not watched near enough of him to make a conclusion, but from what I have seen he looks pretty smooth in the pocket. Looking at his stat line though makes you want to cringe.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Draft a 2nd rd & see what Wash wants for Smith, unless he's a free agent--that is if Trubs doesnt show signs of life

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Draft a 2nd rd & see what Wash wants for Smith, unless he's a free agent--that is if Trubs doesnt show signs of life
As much as I would like for Trubisky to be the guy, I'm just not seeing it. Now he's hurt for the rest of the season? He isn't going to play any better hurt and what we have seen through 3 weeks of play is not very promising.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How long term are we talking here? Long term big picture I want no part of salary cap eating QBs. Capitalizing on QB rookie contracts is the biggest competitive advantage you can get these days so unless you have a guy like Mahomes I'm not extending anyone or paying for any vet savior so they can get Nick Foles'd week 1.

2020 wise, if I'm Pace I'm looking at OG, OT, TE with those 2nd rounders and identify the next Gardner Minshew with the 5th or one of the 6ths.

Going forward, Pace needs to actually started doing the whole "we want to draft a QB every year" thing GM's always say they want to do. If he does that he should be able to develop a pipeline of young talent on rookie deals he can cycle every few years as needed.

Cheap rookie QBs and pay the elite defense.

I am willing to invest one of the 2nd round picks in it and get someone who has a little more guarantee than a 5th or 6th round pick.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope not. We know that his talent evaluation sucks after signing glennon over more capable veterans and drafting trubisky over mahomes and watson.

He has Nagy to help make the pick this time.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I hope not. We know that his talent evaluation sucks after signing glennon over more capable veterans and drafting trubisky over mahomes and watson.
On the other hand, Nagy evaluated Mahomes as the top QB in the class.