Long Term Solution at QB-Thread

mecha

Liked Posts:
observations:
-CCS called into question whether Flacco was a "franchise quarterback" or not (he won a Super Bowl and played for the same team for 11 years in the free agency era) -- the same applied to Jay Cutler, the only uncontested quarterback for the Bears since McMahon, so who knows.

-you're all hung up on quarterback when this is a team that can't assemble 2 complete units, historically, ever... I have thus deduced that you could have Brady/Watson/Mahomes/prime Manning/prime Rodgers and you will never get the result you seek. (ironically Rex Grossman was just good enough to do shit on offense while the defense was winning games.) when the team had a powerful offense under Trestman for a brief stitch in time, the defense was among the worst in the league (31st) and in franchise history. you won't win many games when you surrender 5 touchdowns before halftime I've discovered.

-if you draft a quarterback early, it will potentially stifle other pressing needs (there are many; they've been discussed ad nauseum since September) ... draft a quarterback late, who will develop them? you'll still have to play Trubisky in that case. if you get a supposed game ready quarterback, are the Bears finally going to strike gold?

there's so much fuck present here. with that other rule change thread I almost want to not watch current football anymore.

Bearman 43

Liked Posts:
Daniel Jeremiah released his first mock draft today. QBs going in round 1:

1. Joe Burrow to Cincy
5. Tua Tag to Miami
13. Jordan Love to Indy (surprise to me--I thought he'd be there for us in the second)
14. Justin Herbert to TB ( lower than I think he'll go)

Eason and Fromm both on the board heading into the second according to this mock. Probably doesn't matter though as it looks like Pace is gonna go down with the Trubisky ship. Unless he's laying down the ultimate SMOKE SCREEN!

Never paid any attention to the name Jordan Love until 3 AM this morning when I woke up from a dream that we drafted him for QB.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
so many ignorant bluecheckmark football expert wanna be's on twitter are trying to find the long term solution to QB in the second round of the draft.

Some feel it is a predetermined fact that the Bears are going to automatically draft either Fromm or Eason and the Bears will just make it to the playoffs....and they will spend 10 to 15m in free agency to bring a backup in. There is so much wrong with this scenario.

They can't get past looking beyond the QB position as to the reason our offense was bad as well. They barely address the running game in their critique and make it all about the QB.

They are not looking at this from a Pace Nagy perspective. Pace and Nagy are not starting over with a round 2 QB. They are not going to carry Trubisky's salary, an expensive backup salary and use a round 2 draft pick, or god forbid use both round 2s to trade up for a QB. You are asking for your team to get even worse by not using that talent on areas of need. The odds are that a second round QB is not going to be an answer and may even be worse.

Bears need to win now and they need to improve the running game and pressure on the QB.

Trubisky went 12-4 with a slightly better running game and a defense that could create turnovers.

mbison

Liked Posts:
I don’t care what you know it all’s say. Drafting a QB is a crap shoot. I say we take the Best QB on our draft board that we can get EVERY year until we find out guy. I think this year Jalen Hurts will fall to us. So I say go get him and if he doesn’t work out try again with a high pick next year. QBs don’t need 5 years to develop anymore

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t care what you know it all’s say. Drafting a QB is a crap shoot. I say we take the Best QB on our draft board that we can get EVERY year until we find out guy. I think this year Jalen Hurts will fall to us. So I say go get him and if he doesn’t work out try again with a high pick next year. QBs don’t need 5 years to develop anymore

there is so much wrong with this

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Like what?

The fact that 90% of QBs are dependent on the personnel around them and you are not able to improve the personnel they are dependent on if you are picking them high.

The only wisdom I see in picking a QB in round 2 this season is that it gives you a year to develop him while Trubisky starts,

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The fact that 90% of QBs are dependent on the personnel around them and you are not able to improve the personnel they are dependent on if you are picking them high.

The only wisdom I see in picking a QB in round 2 this season is that it gives you a year to develop him while Trubisky starts,

even this won't happen. I fully expect them to sign a vet backup.....no way they use a round 2 on a QB and have a vet backup and have Trubisky on the roster.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like what?
You could in theory draft a QB three years in a row and not find your guy...you are then stuck with either eating the guaranteed cap space or trading the QB for less value than you picked him up for. In the meantime you've wasted draft picks and the rest of your roster goes to shit because you are hoping that the lower draft picks have to hit.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
73% passer

Looks like an UDFA type guy

CONS: Both pre- and post-snap processing are all over the place. Will work through multiple progressions and manipulate safeties with his eyes, but more frequently fails to let routes develop and leads defenders to target with his eyes. Very difficult to riddle out what the hang up is, but I'd surmise his panic instinct to escape and run shortens his internal clock: he's a one-read and go player. Inability to identify space in zone defense stands stark on tape; will miss crossers right in front of his nose to the clear frustration of the receivers. Not much of "time buyer" with his legs--if he's scrambling, he's going.
Accuracy is, to this point, scatter shot. Placement to the short and intermediate levels is more general than precise. Deep balls are typically overthrown, though not by much and typically with good intent. Entire release process takes too long: His timing in his drops is not set well with his WRs yet, forcing extra hitches, and his throwing motion is a little loopy and lacks urgency. Ball will arrive late to curls/comebacks despite decent velocity. Will try to do too much with too little, especially as a runner, leading to unnecessarily risky plays. Size won't hit NFL benchmarks.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Looks like an UDFA type guy

CONS: Both pre- and post-snap processing are all over the place. Will work through multiple progressions and manipulate safeties with his eyes, but more frequently fails to let routes develop and leads defenders to target with his eyes. Very difficult to riddle out what the hang up is, but I'd surmise his panic instinct to escape and run shortens his internal clock: he's a one-read and go player. Inability to identify space in zone defense stands stark on tape; will miss crossers right in front of his nose to the clear frustration of the receivers. Not much of "time buyer" with his legs--if he's scrambling, he's going.
Accuracy is, to this point, scatter shot. Placement to the short and intermediate levels is more general than precise. Deep balls are typically overthrown, though not by much and typically with good intent. Entire release process takes too long: His timing in his drops is not set well with his WRs yet, forcing extra hitches, and his throwing motion is a little loopy and lacks urgency. Ball will arrive late to curls/comebacks despite decent velocity. Will try to do too much with too little, especially as a runner, leading to unnecessarily risky plays. Size won't hit NFL benchmarks.

I disagree with the Accuracy claim the guy has a 73% completion rate. I watched film on the guy and never saw him over thow anyone. If u have the "pros" please share them. Worse case if he goes UDFA thats good for us. We can develop him.

LOL....I found it......"Solak"

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree with the Accuracy claim the guy has a 73% completion rate. I watched film on the guy and never saw him over thow anyone. If u have the "pros" please share them. Worse case if he goes UDFA thats good for us. We can develop him

a single stat is misleading.

he is considered by most a day 3 or UDFA because he will be a project.

read all the reviews yourself. They are pretty universal on his body of work.

he did have a good shrine game but that is only one game.

mbison

Liked Posts:

90 percent?? Are you nuts. Do you think Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees or other elite QBs have high draft picks at every position to drag their team to the playoffs every year? That’s ridiculous to suggest. Good GMs find Good football players in every round of the draft. Besides. Having a franchise QB (ON A ROOKIE Contract) will allow the Bears to use extra cash in free agency. Pace has also been able to build a really good football team while missing on the 1st round pick almost every year he’s been here. He’s good at finding late round players to contribute. Bears need to stick to that plan but eliminated drafting the Floyd’s, Kevin Whites, and Mitchs of the world and go for QBs every draft in the highest round they can. The reward is a lot higher if we get a stud QB vs this other first round bust positions

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

he is considered by most a day 3 or UDFA because he will be a project.

read all the reviews yourself. They are pretty universal on his body of work.

he did have a good shrine game but that is only one game.

Sure.....but I guarantee ya if he had a completion % in the 50's, thats all you'd hear. I'm just saying the guy is doing something right with a 73% completion . Look at Mitch.....many here will tell ya he's a " project."
=========================================

For me Huntley's a winner. Accurate from what I've seen. And he has mobility. Sure I'll read the reviews but I trust what I see. Also IF he goes UDFA......thats ok. Kurt Warner & Warren Moon went undrafted. Going undrafted can light a fire under a guy....thats good.

Ranking the top 10 undrafted quarterbacks in NFL history

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's a winner. Accurate from what I've seen. And he has mobility. Sure I'll read the reviews but I trust what I see. Also IF he goes UDFA......thats ok. Kurt Warner & Warren Moon went undrafted. Going undrafted can light a fire under a guy....thats good

he may turn out ok but he has a long way to go

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
he may turn out ok but he has a long way to go

These guys had 'long way to go' too

Ranking the top 10 undrafted quarterbacks in NFL history
_____

If you're interested.....take a look at some footage of Huntley (thats what I did) . Stop and think about some of the Qb's, talking heads, pump up to be can't miss prospects. Remember how some wanted Lamar Jackson to be a ...ahem, ahem, cough, cough.....wr.?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you're interested.....take a look at some footage of him. Stop and think about some of the Qb's, talking heads, pump up to be can't miss prospects. Remember how some wanted Lamar Jackson to be a ...ahem, ahem, cough, cough.....wr.?

if you can find footage that isn’t a highlight reel sure I’ll review it