Long working @ right tackle

slicker sam

Liked Posts:
LAKE FOREST, Ill. (CBS) — With the regular season fast approaching and the Bears in need of continuity on the offensive line, two-time Pro Bowl guard Kyle Long is working at right tackle.
The Bears have yet to solidify their offensive line, with Jordan Mills and Charles Leno both failing to win over the right tackle position. As a result, coach John Fox has put Long at right tackle, while considering a move of six-year veteran Vladimir Ducasse to right guard.
Where does Long want to play?
“I don’t really have a preference,” Long said. “I’d like to help the team wherever that is. I’m really sincere when I say that. If they ask me to play receiver, I’d be out there running routes now, practicing. It’s football. It’s not that complicated.”
Chicago has started Mills at right tackle for 29 games over the past two seasons. However, with Mills showing struggles, Fox elected to move Leno into the position for the past two preseason games. With no solutions yet, Long is the next man up for the Bears.
Fox likes what he has seen from Long.
“I see a tremendous young player regardless of what position he plays,” Fox said.
Teammates of Long see his abilities at right tackle. The move doesn’t cause any reasons for concern.
Guard Matt Slauson watches how Long takes in his duties in the meeting room and admires his work ethic.
“He wants to learn everything, learn the big picture of what we’re trying to accomplish as a line, which is the best way to do it,” Slauson said of Long. “You don’t just learn your spot, you learn the big picture of what the line, the tight ends, the backs are all trying to accomplish. That kind of makes things click.”
For Long, it’s fairly simple. The roles and responsibilities of right tackle are somewhat similar to that of right guard. Of course, the same goal exists.
“Honestly, you’re just trying to keep somebody away from Jay Cutler,” Long said. “At the end of the day, that’s the assignment.”
The final preseason tuneup is Thursday at Soldier Field, where the Bears host the Browns. It’s likely that neither team will play its top starters, but this does provide Fox with the opportunity to evaluate the right tackle position.
Just 12 days remain until the season opener at Soldier Field, when the Bears host the division rival Packers.
Follow Chris on Twitter @CEmma670.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Was it confirmed by Fox though? That's the real question.

Nick80

Liked Posts:
If Fox and Pace have decided that if this year is shaping up to be a real clusterfuck then make it a clusterfuck to remember and at least the bears will be fun to watch for all the right or wrong reasons.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
If Long has indeed moved to right tackle, then we will have to add right guard to the free agent list for next year. The draft does not have many too enticing options right now.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stop being a pussy, Foxy. Move him to LT and let the rebuild officially begin. I promise it's going to work out.

#fuckingcalleditsincehewasdrafted

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Were any shins injured in this practice?

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They have to make this move. I havent been one of the peeps banging the table for Long to become a tackle....but I didnt realize how bad of shape that position was in....he's gota move outside if they want to get anything accomplished this year on offense. Hopefully we can get lucky and bring in another guard once everyone trims down to 53 that will be a improvement over Vlad or Mills.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Move Long to RT (and if he pans out there), sign Brandon Brooks at RG, and draft Laremy Tunsil at LT. That offensive line would look really good.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
That is what worries me. If he starts at RT, I'll give him till the mid-point of the season. If has not been good, then I'm moving him back.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I love moving players from pro bowl positions to NFL average-mediocre performance at a new position. It makes me feel like Lovie Smith never left.

I wasn't aware Long ever played a down at RT for us and looked average-mediocre.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If the move ends up being made for the regular season, that is the outlook. Moving a player from a position he excels at to a position he has never played is the gift that keeps on giving since not only are you putting a player in a position to no longer excel, you're also creating a hole at a position that was previously solidified. Its a lose-lose.

Last edited:

Newblood

Liked Posts:
If the move ends up being made for the regular season, that is the outlook. Moving a player from a position he excels at to a position he has never played is the gift that keeps on giving since not only are you putting a player in a position to no longer excel, you're also creating a hole at a position that was previously solidified. Its a lose-lose.

What's worse, OG-Elite - OT-Shit or OG-Average - OT-Average?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

Not really. It's clear Mills and Leno are terrible. If Long comes in and performs significantly better than them, and whatever RG we get to fill in sucks less than Mills and Leno did at RT, then it's an upgrade. Especially if we're looking to move Long to OT next season.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

Long played RT in College... They moved him to a position he had never played before when they moved him to guard.

Now what are you going to say?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I actually think Mills could be a decent guard if he can avoid the pre snap penalties.

stallan54

Liked Posts:
Long is a beast. He's older, wiser, and probably the strongest and fastest he will be in his life. If anyone can do it, he can. This guy is a stud and cares about the Bears. Gotta trust staff to fill in the RG.. Ducasse isn't that bad. Who knows...maybe we get a cut guy from some team. But IN LONG I TRUST.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
Is this really happening, cause it's awesome! Finally!

So do we see Long at RT the last preseason game or will he be our secret weapon game 1?

Reactions: DC

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, instead of squaring off against a Stud D lineman (ala suh) Long now has to square of against any plethora of Speed rushers (Willie Young, Ziggy Ansah, JPP, etc). Yeah sure, its the same thing. You guys do realize that your sacrificing the inside run game in order to give Cutler an extra half second to throw right?

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess you could bitch and moan about it.