Looking at Allen Robinson in a different light.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I'm just saying, based on everything that I've read, I'd give him another shot. We have such huge expectations for these athletes. I can understand why he gave up. I don't like it, but I'd give him one more shot. If he did it again under new management, that was using him right, better play-calling, supporting Fields, and then he quit? Gone. I like AR.
Yes, but would you pay AR the contract he’s wanting knowing all that? If we’re going to splurge on a FA WR, is AR the one?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, but would you pay AR the contract he’s wanting knowing all that? If we’re going to splurge on a FA WR, is AR the one?
I'm not sure what he's asking, and what the going rate is. $18-20 million a year? That seems like a lot. I would probably pay less than that, and put incentives in the deal. 1,000 yards receiving? Bonus. 100 catches? Bonus. 10 tds? Bonus. So if he hits the marks that he SAYS he deserved to be paid for as an elite WR, he'd get paid in that range. If he's not willing to work with us, based on his lackluster performance last year, then yes, I'd probably let him walk. They did just give him a franchise tag of $18M. So...maybe $14-15 plus incentives?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure what he's asking, and what the going rate is. $18-20 million a year? That seems like a lot. I would probably pay less than that, and put incentives in the deal. 1,000 yards receiving? Bonus. 100 catches? Bonus. 10 tds? Bonus. So if he hits the marks that he SAYS he deserved to be paid for as an elite WR, he'd get paid in that range. If he's not willing to work with us, based on his lackluster performance last year, then yes, I'd probably let him walk. They did just give him a franchise tag of $18M. So...maybe $14-15 plus incentives?
I thought the rumors were Pace offered him around that and he turned it down.

Liked Posts:
End of the day it’s the new coach and GMs decision. If they want to keep him on then I’d understand that decision and support it. If they decide to let him go then my response would be the same.

What I would observe though is AR has stated how much he loves the city it seems he wants to stay with the organization.

If I’m the new GM I’d pull him to one side and say “if you want to stay then I’m willing to keep you on a 1 year deal, reduced wages, you prove your worth and we can come back to the table” If he agrees then that proves that the animosity between him and Nagy was worse than what’s been stated. If he refuses then you cut ties.

Whilst it seems obvious that the o-line is going to be a priority this off-season you still want Fields to have reliable hands to throw to. As it stands we’ve got only Mooney going into next season. If Robinson knuckles down and mends bridges then I’d keep him so it’s less pressure on Fields to make big plays and he can develop steadily after this shit show of a season.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
End of the day it’s the new coach and GMs decision. If they want to keep him on then I’d understand that decision and support it. If they decide to let him go then my response would be the same.

What I would observe though is AR has stated how much he loves the city it seems he wants to stay with the organization.

If I’m the new GM I’d pull him to one side and say “if you want to stay then I’m willing to keep you on a 1 year deal, reduced wages, you prove your worth and we can come back to the table” If he agrees then that proves that the animosity between him and Nagy was worse than what’s been stated. If he refuses then you cut ties.

Whilst it seems obvious that the o-line is going to be a priority this off-season you still want Fields to have reliable hands to throw to. As it stands we’ve got only Mooney going into next season. If Robinson knuckles down and mends bridges then I’d keep him so it’s less pressure on Fields to make big plays and he can develop steadily after this shit show of a season.
Lol he’s not taking a pay cut. His floor is probably still $16m and someone will overpay for him in the 20s

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am not even saying I would want AR back after his loafing, but everyone acting like the shit situation is zero excuse for his play is comical. It's akin to when people roasts players for leaving for bigger money and having no loyalty, like they wouldn't do the same because they are so virtuous.

Let's say you have a contractual job making 100K and that contract is expiring, you have an offer from a company that has watched and liked your work to take a new project for a similar 100K for 4 years plus a 200k sign on bonus. Unfortunately your current employer has a non compete clause that allows him to keep you on for another year. He then refuses to talk about your employment future and spitefully proceeds to saddle you with shit work that makes you look unqualified to the company that offered you a new contract the year prior.

Are you telling me you would show up day after day to work on projects that are trash and affect your future earning potential with a smile on your face giving the guy that is fucking you your best effort?

The guy is human. It matters.

Again, not saying they should bring AR back, but the circumstances warrant looking into.

There is potential that he may actually be a value signing at a position of need, the new staff just needs to vet the whole situation with him and his teammates to see if there is anything there.
If I had a guy next to me busting his ass day in and day out under the same circumstances.....

yes I would show up and work my ass off just like my teammate. I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror if I didn't. Especially if I was playing for a contract as well.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
If I had a guy next to me busting his ass day in and day out under the same circumstances.....

yes I would show up and work my ass off just like my teammate. I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror if I didn't. Especially if I was playing for a contract as well.
But his teammates didn't get ghosted by the HC, they hadn't had zero negotiations on an extension, so the circumstances were not the same for his teammates. And you are crazy if you don't think he didn't want to ball out for a big contract, but when week 10 rolls around and it is evident the HC is game planning you out of relevance, to say it wouldn't affect you is intellectually dishonest, unless you are Saint Modo. Are you Saint Modo?

He could have handled it better, but there isn't a person alive that would not be affected be being marginalized on the field and basically having the HC take millions out dollars of his earnings potential because of some petty whatever the hell was in Nagy's pea brain.

I would go to him and have a very frank conversation as GM,
"Allen were letting you hit FA, we wouldn't mind having you back for the right price, but we have to have a talk about some of your play effort late last season. Some things looked uncharacteristic of you, but they are unacceptable for us moving forward, can you explain what led to your effort issues last season?"

Depending on the answer you either consider him or thank him for his service and move on.

Last edited:

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
According to AR—I think this was early last season—the Bears never extended a contract offer. It seems like Pace decided to ride the tag and never negotiated with him. Looking back at their attempt to sign Golladay, I really think they wanted to trade him but were forced to keep him.

Not making excuses for ARob's effort in 2021, but to that point, he had a reputation of being a hard worker and a good locker room guy. It all seemed very strange at the time.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Just wanna say when I met AROB in Scottsdale, he was definitely a chill, down to earth guy, he didn't even have a whiff of alcohol on his breathe while being in the club district on a Saturday night when it was off the hook on a beautiful night. Myself was juiced and bugging the fuck outta him a little, but he was cool about it and was laughing almost the entire with me, I wished him good luck and we'll see them in Bourbonnais, while he said he was hopeful and had confidence in the team to win it all in 2019, just didnt talk about parkey and i knew not too. after that and TC happened, Nagy's playbook backfired.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
But his teammates didn't get ghosted by the HC, they hadn't had zero negotiations on an extension, so the circumstances were not the same for his teammates. And you are crazy if you don't think he didn't want to ball out for a big contract, but when week 10 rolls around and it is evident the HC is game planning you out of relevance, to say it wouldn't affect you is intellectually dishonest, unless you are Saint Modo. Are you Saint Modo?

He could have handled it better, but there isn't a person alive that would not be affected be being marginalized on the field and basically having the HC take millions out dollars of his earnings potential because of some petty whatever the hell was in Nagy's pea brain.

"Allen were letting you hit FA, we wouldn't mind having you back for the right price, but we have to have a talk about some of your play effort late last season. Some things looked uncharacteristic of you, but they are unacceptable for us moving forward, can you explain what led to your effort issues last season?"

Depending on the answer you either consider him or thank him for his service and move on.
not there for the head coach....when you fuck off you are impacting your teammates...

I wouldn't give a shit about the coach, but the guy next to me is busting his ass. Its for that guy.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I don’t see him as a really competitive player. He was routinely getting out hustled, out muscled, and outworked by DBs the year before this. That was the reasoning for some for not wanting to pay him that big contract. His attitude/work ethic last year was just a continuation of it, imo…

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe he didn't want to work with Pace. But I don't think he's worth 18M straight up, no. But maybe the new ownership does. What's 4M between friends. I would just try to keep as much intact as is possible, and the build/fill via FA/draft. If I could keep him, with all of the excitement, he could be a solid WR1.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

All of this. Agree 100%.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
According to AR—I think this was early last season—the Bears never extended a contract offer. It seems like Pace decided to ride the tag and never negotiated with him. Looking back at their attempt to sign Golladay, I really think they wanted to trade him but were forced to keep him.

Not making excuses for ARob's effort in 2021, but to that point, he had a reputation of being a hard worker and a good locker room guy. It all seemed very strange at the time.
Yep. All of this.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Didn’t seem to have much of a rapport with Fields. I don’t really see the point in bringing him back. I’d rather pay a guy like Christian Kirk or Mike Williams. I would even take some combo of mid tier guys over him.

I‘mconfused on the market for Robinson too. Feels like he’s a prove it deal type of guy. For what though? A prove it deal isn’t going to be great. Don‘t think some team is going to give him a 15 million dollar prove it deal. If it’s like 8 million then I guess you can bring him back. I think it’s possible thats what he gets. He was pretty bad last year. Why would anybody commit a lot of money to him? even for a season? I see his ceiling at like 12 million.

I guess how deep the draft and FA are matter too. I don’t know much there. Relative to other years.

Last edited: