Looking into 2022..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If anything holds the Cubs back from spending it will be a QO from other teams that could possibly rob the Cubs of picks and international signing money.

The notion they are cheap is just ignorant. They were over the luxury tax 3 of the last 6 years and only 4 teams were over it as many times. They also signed big contracts with Heyward, Lester and Darvish, that are similar to what I am suggesting.

The problem over the last few years has been waiting around for one of the big four to get the big hit

The best they played is when they were working as a unit creating runs. After Hoerner and Duffy went down they regressed back to waiting for the huge hit

This team is better off with them gone. This is not a dis on those guys but it was a core flaw with the make up of the team.

They have it still going on. Today they blow up for 5 runs in one inning by two home runs. They are lacking a quality 2B and SS. Both are on the DL. Duffy is a poor man's excuse for a contact hitter. Alacantea is a minor league talent.

But they are scrapping together runs also.

The staff is the problem. The investment needs to go there. They have addressed SS/2B already. They don't need more stand around and wait for the paycheck player to swing to win. They need to suppress runs to win.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yep. They’re better trying to buck the trend of modern day baseball. Harken back to the 1980’s. Small ball. ?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I'm interested to see the cubs go scoreless for a couple games so csf can revert back to signing Castellanos, Conforto and whoever else was on the bucket list

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm interested to see the cubs go scoreless for a couple games so csf can revert back to signing Castellanos, Conforto and whoever else was on the bucket list

I'm over that. Phase. Goth was cool but Trance gives better vibes now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm still trying to figure Happ out though. 2nd year in a row that Aug he blows up. He did that last year but the lack of PA made that blow up more than it was. This time it is basically the same blow up but adding 200 PA of underperforming is keeping it repressed.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
1 to 2 year deal signings, try to flip them at the deadline, season the kids in the minors another year, and see what offers are out there for Contreras and Hendricks. If one is too good to pass up, take it. That's what the plan will be in the offseason.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I'm still trying to figure Happ out though. 2nd year in a row that Aug he blows up. He did that last year but the lack of PA made that blow up more than it was. This time it is basically the same blow up but adding 200 PA of underperforming is keeping it repressed.
This might be legit. He has made some functional changes to his approach.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Hes actually really lucky they tanked because it gave them the opportunity to make changes and let him play and struggle through it and learn at the MLB level. We'll see if it works out for him but he needed a situation like this

CSF77

Liked Posts:

That might be true. The line up works better with him between Schwindel and Wisdom

Now this is towards TL.

Yes and no.

Small ball in it self depends on too many moving parts.

Power hitting line up has to plow through strike outs waiting for that one mistake.

You do not want to be co-dependant on either.

The way to build is how the Padres are built.

They have power. But they manufacturer runs also. They will run. They will do what it takes to generate a run. They are not going to sit on pine waiting for a opertunity. They create their own opertunity.

Any team can do this. Right now the Cubs can with what they have. All they really need is a few contact bats in place to create opertunity.

I believe that leading off with Mad and Nico is a mistake. Mad is a swinger. He puts most in play. Strikes out little and walks even less. That is best played lower in the line up to create opertunity innings. Let's face it he would suck as a lead off. But as a 6 hitter he might start a inning or clean up the bases.

Nico is the same thing. Pick up player vs a core hitter.

I'm fine with this team next year. Add Nico and Mad. Dump into the pen. Make a decision on Thompson. I like him but he has had more success as a pen arm vs starting. I would personally feel better with one less variable going into 2022. Even if it means getting a discount on a oft injured starter and having Thompson waiting on opertunity.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs Activate Willson Contreras, Place Keegan Thompson On 10-Day Injured List
September 4th, 2021 at 10:51am CST • By TC Zencka
The Cubs have activated Willson Contreras from the injured list, and in a corresponding move, they have placed Keegan Thompson on the 10-day IL with right shoulder inflammation, per Meghan Montemurro of the Chicago Tribune (via Twitter).

Contreras went on the injured list back on August 12 because of a right knee sprain. He’s the rare familiar face in the Cubs lineup, though he hasn’t been there of late. Austin Romine and Robinson Chirinos have handled the catching duties in his absence. On the year, Contreras has hit .226/.333/.417, good or a 105 wRC+, a solid mark from behind the plate.

Thompson was excellent for the Cubs in small samples out of the pen, but he has struggled while getting a few turns in the rotation. In total, the 26-year-old righty owns a 3.54 ERA/5.13 FIP across 48 1/3 innings with the big league club. Thompson’s spot in the rotation is due to come up again on Tuesday against the Reds.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Looks like Kyle is hitting a wall right now. Or Wilson called a crap game.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
So far, I like the approach by most of those new players in the batter box. Glad to see not everyone is hitting for the fences, or home run or nothing approach. Schwindel is replacing Rizzo nicely.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Weirdly, even with that 2nd 11 game losing streak, now they are back to having the #9 pick in the draft.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Weirdly, even with that 2nd 11 game losing streak, now they are back to having the #9 pick in the draft.
It was expected for a adjustment period. The reason why the team lost so much was due to a shitty pen.

But right now they are playing non contenders also. So take it for what it is worth. 5 game win streak vs the Pirates and the Twins is not a bandwagon event

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
"Weirdly, even with that 2nd 11 game losing streak, now they are back to having the #9 pick in the draft."

It is hard to win when starting pitchers allowing grand slams (sarcasm) in the first inning.

Castor76

Liked Posts:

I think they try to reduce the years of service time before reaching FA to try to get players to FA by age 27ish and maybe put and NBA like cap on the number of years a contract can be with a re-signing team being able to offer a longer contract. Such as a FA could sign with a new team for 4 years but re-sign for up to 6 years if with a team they are already with.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
I'm hoping that we won't see Davis and "his" Brother_s next year. ;)

Last edited:

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Schwindy city has a nice ring to it