Looks like we got Pau Gasol again...

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The oddly interesting thing is with Boozer the Bulls were load better at defense.

With Gasol, their D-rating dropped out of the Top 10.

2010-11: 11th Offense, 2nd Defense
2011-12: 5th Offense, 2nd Defense
2012-13: 23rd Offense, 6th Defense
2013-14: 28th Offense, 2nd Defense
----- (Boozer amnestied) ------
2014-15: 11th Offense, 11th Defense
2015-16: 23rd Offense, 15th Defense (Thibs fired, Hoiberg hired)

Now, certainly not the only factor in the Bulls defensive collapse. They seemed to go for more offense in general in 2014-15 with picking up Gasol, McDermott, Niko, and Aaron Brooks.. all guys not known for playing defense.
Boozer could at least defend the pick and roll a little bit, and could switch. Pau couldn't. He was just too slow footed. Pau & Noah lineups were not the best fit on either end. And Pau & Niko lineups were God awful defensively.

DirtyDutchDiggler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. LA Galaxy
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Miami Dolphins
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Miami Hurricanes
Vuc's numbers are quickly getting back to normal. Good sign that he's able to find himself in the offense. The team is making it a point to get him going early and never give up on him. We may not have anyone dominating the assist category but 5 players averaging 4 assists* or higher which trumps that. Sharing is caring.
*Zach dropped to 3.8apg but close enough.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Vuc's numbers are quickly getting back to normal. Good sign that he's able to find himself in the offense. The team is making it a point to get him going early and never give up on him. We may not have anyone dominating the assist category but 5 players averaging 4 assists* or higher which trumps that. Sharing is caring.
*Zach dropped to 3.8apg but close enough.
I expected Vuc's numbers to drop this season due to the addition of DeRozan. I'm not really sure what we should expect PPG wise, but the hope was the rest of his numbers would stay around the same.

He's up to shooting 43% on the season and 36.1% from 3. The 43% is a career low, while he last shot this bad from 3 in 2017-18. Plenty of time to get those numbers back up. His RPG numbers have started to creep up towards his recent average as well.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Vuc has never played on a team like this. He had to find his way. Then he got Covid and it delayed him a bit, but it looks like he is hitting his stride again.

If Vuc becomes consistent as a scorer again and ZL and Derozan do what they been doing. This team gonna be tough to beat.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Vuc has never played on a team like this. He had to find his way. Then he got Covid and it delayed him a bit, but it looks like he is hitting his stride again.

If Vuc becomes consistent as a scorer again and ZL and Derozan do what they been doing. This team gonna be tough to beat.
The gaping hole at PF is what will be this team's undoing.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The gaping hole at PF is what will be this team's undoing.
100% agree. I have to think that AK knows this and will try to address it somehow before the trade deadline. Not sure how, but I trust AK.

Javante is in no way a starting PF on a real contender. Love the guys energy and grit but he just isn't it.

If DJJ could stay out of foul trouble I wouldn't mind seeing him start at PF, though he isnt the answer in the long run either.

Maybe they get lucky and someone gets bought out that will be useful.?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
100% agree. I have to think that AK knows this and will try to address it somehow before the trade deadline. Not sure how, but I trust AK.

Javante is in no way a starting PF on a real contender. Love the guys energy and grit but he just isn't it.

If DJJ could stay out of foul trouble I wouldn't mind seeing him start at PF, though he isnt the answer in the long run either.

Maybe they get lucky and someone gets bought out that will be useful.?
For now they'll get by and win plenty of games, but if they can't pick up someone by the trade deadline, it will only take a bad match-up in the playoffs for them to be easily picked apart and be done for. We've seen plenty of teams expose it in the regular season from time to time, but its the regular season and not the playoffs.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For now they'll get by and win plenty of games, but if they can't pick up someone by the trade deadline, it will only take a bad match-up in the playoffs for them to be easily picked apart and be done for. We've seen plenty of teams expose it in the regular season from time to time, but its the regular season and not the playoffs.
Heck just wait til we play Milwaukee...and we don't play them til dang near playoff time as it is. I don't think we'd stand a chance, Giannis will steamroll us

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Heck just wait til we play Milwaukee...and we don't play them til dang near playoff time as it is. I don't think we'd stand a chance, Giannis will steamroll us
For reference, the Bulls don't play Milwaukee until 1/21, and then not until 3/4, 3/22, and 4/5. So if the Bulls don't acquire a PF by then, we shall really find out what we'd look like against them in the playoffs, providing players aren't resting those games / or injured.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know they could not afford it, but Thies would have looked nice on this team right now.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
I wasn't worried about Vooch in the slightest hes playing with his old college teammate and another dominant perimeter scorer who he has no problem deferring to. The key here is that it was up to Zach and Demar to make sure he understood he doesn't have to defer and I think they have gotten that through to him . That he was able to sit back and watch a few games during Covid seems to have helped him even more to get an understanding of where and how he should be attacking .

I think we all should understand there are plenty of all star caliber guards that would love to have a Vooch on the squad .

With Bams injury and Embids slow Covid return Vooch has a chance at the all star game

10th in scoring amongst east center (But he getting the most shots ) so his average will continue to creep up
3rd in rebounding (but again creeping up )
1st in assists (2nd in league behind Joker)
2nd in steals (7th in league)
4th in double doubles ( the difference is games actually played )

Hes legit the problem is hes being asked to do more than any other big in the league even Joker because we have no other viable PF/ C .

Dec 15 when trades can be made some players that could be available

Theis or Olynk would take DJJ + some filler
Robin Lopez would take just Brown JR
Tristan Thompson for DJJ
Bagley for DJJ + Filler

after that its the buyout market

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I don't think they're going to be moving DJJ. I know I hope they don't.

The larger issue with this thread, is that I'd certainly hope Bulls fans - of any fanbase - might realize that the regular season doesn't really mean much.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't think they're going to be moving DJJ. I know I hope they don't.

The larger issue with this thread, is that I'd certainly hope Bulls fans - of any fanbase - might realize that the regular season doesn't really mean much.
Regular season is for positioning, and gives you a taste of what the playoffs might look like. Its not an indication of what's to come or the #1 seed would win every single season (though more #1 seeds win than not).

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
And honestly, it'll all come down to what AK thinks this team can do this year, not us. If he doesn't like the trade market, nor think this team is ready yet, he very well could stand pat with the roster as is and then watch this team go down in Round 1 or 2...look into addressing the position in the offseason. I would bet the long term goal is certainly to still start Patrick Williams at PF, though with his injuries this year, it may be time to consider a backup plan to that. But either way, they need some backup bigs.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Regular season is for positioning, and gives you a taste of what the playoffs might look like. Its not an indication of what's to come or the #1 seed would win every single season (though more #1 seeds win than not).
My overall point is that you're going to see ups and downs throughout the regular season, particularly with a team that isn't accustomed to winning. So Vuc' early struggles really might not mean much of anything. I also recall a Bulls team that swept a season series against a team that beat them 4-1 in the playoffs.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My overall point is that you're going to see ups and downs throughout the regular season, particularly with a team that isn't accustomed to winning. So Vuc' early struggles really might not mean much of anything. I also recall a Bulls team that swept a season series against a team that beat them 4-1 in the playoffs.
Several of us have not forgotten

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I know you two have not forgotten.
What most people ignored / forgot is that all three of those regular season games.. literally one bounce the Heat way and they sweep the Bulls in the regular season.. that's how close all those games were.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
What most people ignored / forgot is that all three of those regular season games.. literally one bounce the Heat way and they sweep the Bulls in the regular season.. that's how close all those games were.
23.gif