Louis Riddick Tweet About QB's in General

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Louis Riddick gets it. I love this guy. While people get all excited over a QB's legs or how far he can throw it Riddick knows it's STILL about the basics...... Decision making and accuracy.
PFF had an interesting take on Mac Jones types on one of their podcasts.

Most of these guys who are the incredible accuracy and decision making profile but with only okay athleticism weren't great QB's as passers their first couple years (Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. all had struggles as passers even though its blasphemous to say now) and didn't look great as pure passers until they had time to develop and figure it out.

Their main point was that those types seem to take longer to develop since they don't have the athleticism that immediately translates from college from the first snap and also questioning in today's NFL (with all the pressure from the media and fans) whether these guys would have ever been given enough time to figure it out at all.

So basically Bears would need to be ready to be extra patient if they take him vs. one of the other QB prospects who's a better athlete... which to me it seems like would be an odd fit if Nagy and Pace really are done after this year without improvement.

Liked Posts:

Most of these guys who are the incredible accuracy and decision making profile but with only okay athleticism weren't great QB's as passers their first couple years (Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. all had struggles as passers even though its blasphemous to say now) and didn't look great as pure passers until they had time to develop and figure it out.

Their main point was that those types seem to take longer to develop since they don't have the athleticism that immediately translates from college from the first snap and also questioning in today's NFL (with all the pressure from the media and fans) whether these guys would have ever been given enough time to figure it out at all.

So basically Bears would need to be ready to be extra patient if they take him vs. one of the other QB prospects who's a better athlete... which to me it seems like would be an odd fit if Nagy and Pace really are done after this year without improvement.

That's fair and there's truth to that, but the NFL has changed over the years to favor QBs. There probably has never been a better time to be a QB than now in the NFL.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
That Flacco-Kaepernick matchup sticks out like a sore thumb in that grouping
While Flacco may never be thought of as a "great" QB, he was amazing that year during the playoffs, and he was the difference maker for them getting that championship. Not only that, but if you go look at Joe's playoff history, he was the guy that shinned in the spotlight.

Joe went into that year turning down a contract extension in hopes that he could improve his Market Value, and he did!! The Ravens gave him one of those $100M contracts after he won the SB....

Bort

Liked Posts:
Everyone in this thread is wrong. The real lesson of this list is the importance of arm strength.

There are a bunch of guys with absolute cannons:
Rodgers
Big Ben
Russell Wilson
Cam Newton
Mahomes
Goff

And a bunch of guys who combined good arm strength with pinpoint accuracy:
Brees
2011 Peyton Manning
Brady
Ryan

And a bunch of guys with extremely strong arms who struggled with accuracy and/or decision making:
Eli Manning
Flacco
Kaepernick
Garappolo

And only two noodle arms (Foles and washed up 2015 Petyon Manning), and both were backups during the regular season and kind of lucked into getting a SB start.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
That Flacco-Kaepernick matchup sticks out like a sore thumb in that grouping
New Eagle Joe Flacco is still elite....

But in all seriousness, Kaep was/maybe still is a good QB. He's been blackballed from the NFL, or at least that's what his $10M+ settlement suggests. His career ended early due to his beliefs, not his talent.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
While Flacco may never be thought of as a "great" QB, he was amazing that year during the playoffs, and he was the difference maker for them getting that championship. Not only that, but if you go look at Joe's playoff history, he was the guy that shinned in the spotlight.

Joe went into that year turning down a contract extension in hopes that he could improve his Market Value, and he did!! The Ravens gave him one of those $100M contracts after he won the SB....
He had one throw against the Broncos where he was stepping up in the pocket, was flushed to the left, then uncorked a crazy throw along the right sideline to help the Ravens get to the Superbowl. There is one that very small number of QBs that would event attempt, let alone execute that type of throw.

As outsiders we all joked about his large contract and that his stats didn't line up, but he was a very good, consistent QB for a long time.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
He had one throw against the Broncos where he was stepping up in the pocket, was flushed to the left, then uncorked a crazy throw along the right sideline to help the Ravens get to the Superbowl. There is one that very small number of QBs that would event attempt, let alone execute that type of throw.

As outsiders we all joked about his large contract and that his stats didn't line up, but he was a very good, consistent QB for a long time.
I have been a fan of the Ravens since they won the SB in 2000 with that defense and Trent Dilfer (gag), and Joe has been their most successful QB, but he got to a point where he was trying to rely on his arm (always very good) instead of his head.

He gives Foles and Brady a run for their money when it comes to cement shoes, but if he can get the extra protection that he needs, he can be a very good pocket QB.

I hope the Eagles do not need him to step up, because that would mean that Hurts has failed or got hurt (no pun intended). BUT I would say that he can be a good back-up if the OC is capable of making an adjustment from Hurts to him.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
What kind of QB do you need to win??

Answer: one who is on a good/great TEAM.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I hope the Eagles do not need him to step up, because that would mean that Hurts has failed or got hurt (no pun intended). BUT I would say that he can be a good back-up if the OC is capable of making an adjustment from Hurts to him.
I see this going a few different ways:

1 (dream scenario) - Hurts takes a step forward and the team is competitive. I'm not saying we are SB contenders, but there seems to be something to build off of and he's under $2M for the 2022 and 2023 season, which allows the Wilson/Seahawks type model for a run.

2 - Hurts gets hurt late, but they are still in the division hunt - Flacco is battle tested and he does have 11 playoff wins to his name. This scenario would mean the D and OL are playing well and Joe essentially is playing the Foles role in the 2017 championship run.

3 - Hurts just doesn't work out - Obviously a the worst case scenario, but if that happens 2021 is a wash. We need Flacco to step in, completely fail and get as high of a draft pick as possible. He'd be our own 'Jags Mike Glennon' type situation where the vet knows his role and goes out there and executes the plan.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I see this going a few different ways:

1 (dream scenario) - Hurts takes a step forward and the team is competitive. I'm not saying we are SB contenders, but there seems to be something to build off of and he's under $2M for the 2022 and 2023 season, which allows the Wilson/Seahawks type model for a run.

2 - Hurts gets hurt late, but they are still in the division hunt - Flacco is battle tested and he does have 11 playoff wins to his name. This scenario would mean the D and OL are playing well and Joe essentially is playing the Foles role in the 2017 championship run.

3 - Hurts just doesn't work out - Obviously a the worst case scenario, but if that happens 2021 is a wash. We need Flacco to step in, completely fail and get as high of a draft pick as possible. He'd be our own 'Jags Mike Glennon' type situation where the vet knows his role and goes out there and executes the plan.

I do like Hurts, and I see a lot of similarities between him and Trey Lance....If I am completely honest I think that Lance's arm strength might make him even better.

If the Bears are lucky enough to have a shot at Drafting Lance, I hope they take it. Because Mitch was the "safe" pick and Watson and Mahomes were the riskier picks, and we know how that turned out...

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Not elite by any means but a good QB and he played near flawless football that post-season to win that SB for the Ravens. One of the more impressive post-seasons IMO.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:

people can shit on Flacco all they like but I live here in New England now and for a few years the Flacco Ravens were the most feared adversary up here.....everyone is in love with Darnold and when he was injured Flacco came in and moved the offense better than Darnold did

Biscuit

Liked Posts:

Yeah less-mobile QBs need a little more time to acclimate to the speed of the NFL because they can’t run to buy time, while deciding who they’re gonna throw to. If you sit a rookie QB for a year, giving them a chance to adjust to the speed of the game, it can pay off in bigger dividends, down the road.

[ img ] [ / img ]

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I do like Hurts, and I see a lot of similarities between him and Trey Lance....If I am completely honest I think that Lance's arm strength might make him even better.

If the Bears are lucky enough to have a shot at Drafting Lance, I hope they take it. Because Mitch was the "safe" pick and Watson and Mahomes were the riskier picks, and we know how that turned out...
RE: Hurts - Still trying to figure out what he is. I like his gameday demeanor and scrambling ability. I still have questions about his accuracy and I'm not sure I'll ever get over Saban rightfully benching him in the national championship game. All the same, with Wentz forcing his way out Hurts is plan A, so we'll see how it goes.

RE: Lance - He has a lot of positives which I like, but at the end of the day I'm left wondering is 18 games in college a large enough sample size especially considering none of those games were against any big programs. Kicking the crap out of North Alabama, Cal Poly and Colgate doesn't do much to move the needle. It's similar to when Wentz was drafted, but the difference is Wentz went to the Senior Bowl where NFL coaches got to do an apples to apples comparison with guys like Goff. Lance based on his age wasn't eligible.

RE: Arm Strength - I really don't think much of this. I've been told the greatest passing Pro Day ever was Jamarcus Russell. He showed a level of arm strength that wasn't previously seen by some scouts. There is a minimum amount of throwing power an NFL QB needs, but I think Hurts possesses that. IMHO touch is far better especially on deep balls. Look at Russell Wilson. He's got a cannon, but on his deep throws it's all about having that control, being able to put some air under it and dropping the ball in a spot where only the WR has a play.

Last edited:

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
people can shit on Flacco all they like but I live here in New England now and for a few years the Flacco Ravens were the most feared adversary up here.....everyone is in love with Darnold and when he was injured Flacco came in and moved the offense better than Darnold did
There's a bunch of athletes in different sports that just have an uncanny ability to shine when the lights are the brightest. Eli and Foles both could. Sorta like Big Short Robert Horry in the NBA. He's never your #1 or #2 option, but if you leave him open in a big moment his chance of hitting the shot is probably higher than anyone on the court.

Anyway, I got nothing but respect for Flacco. He's had a great career. The guy has won a ring, teammates have always liked him and he's never been in the media for the wrong reasons. There's also a good list of huge plays he's individually made that were instrumental in his teams success.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I often wonder about the knocks on QB prospects' athleticism like height (Russell Wilson) and speed/evasiveness (Brady). Meanwhile, fast running QBs flame out in the NFL regularly.

Drew Brees seems like a fairly average guy but his command of the game and accuracy are top notch. Curious how his athletic #s compare to the prospects we pile on. Brees wasn't fast. Nor Brady, nor Big Ben, nor Kirt Warner, ....

also

Hand size?? That one might actually be a thing. I recall a thread about it some time ago. Smaller Russell Wilson has big hands - helps a ton w/ accuracy, preventing fumbles, etc.