Lovie fired ***OFFICIAL*** coaching carousel 2023 thread

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, there's a misnomer that they run the same defense. The bears run far more single high and two high shell with combo and match coverages underneath. This isn't the Tampa 2 defense, people.

I pointed that out in March. No one seemed to listen.

Take it for what it's worth. PFF claims Eberflus mixes his coverages quite a bit.

"Though they do base out of Cover 3, with 28% of their snaps coming in that coverage, defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus mixes his coverages a lot. He doesn’t rank in the top 15 in usage rate for any coverage except for quarter-quarter-half; he likes to sit in a one-gap four-down front style without blitzing, hoping to use those four linemen to get pressure.

That hasn’t worked well even with the addition of DeForest Buckner. The Colts' defensive linemen ranked just 23rd in pressure rate, and they finished 12th league-wide last season in EPA allowed per play."

Even Lovie didn't play nearly as much Cover 2 as most believe. One of the most infamous plays during Lovie's tenure, the Rodgers/Cobb/Conte play was NOT in Cover 2.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'll start off by saying, I never liked the Cover2. I believe in high pressure on the Qb.

With that said......I feel bad for Smith. I mean, what could Houston ownership expect from him in one season. Plus, he never had a Qb. Things might've been different if Watson were still there ( but we wont open that can of worms). Anyway....I hope Smith gets another shot. And thanks for getting the Bears to a SB and the draft pick

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This team (Texans) is garbage from ownership down. If you look at the roster and staff, you can see the potential to build a winner. There are so many players under the age of 25 on that team. Find a more consistent QB and build around them. But you can't keep firing coaches after 1 season and call yourself serious about anything related to football.

After the Watson scandal, the Flores scandal, the hiring and firing of Colley, then presumably bringing in Lovie Smith to "prove" they aren't a racist organization, it was almost expected that Lovie was a 1 year rental, but it still makes no sense to operate this way.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Say what you want about the Bears org. , at least it’s not a shit show like the Texans nor Colts. Two back to back one and done HCs for one team, and the other picks HC from the radio and internet booth with no experience.

This is madness. I know the Bears org sucks and all that, but I feel like they are at least trying to make good decisions. Not these two teams.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I'll start off by saying, I never liked the Cover2. I believe in high pressure on the Qb.

With that said......I feel bad for Smith. I mean, what could Houston ownership expect from him in one season. Plus, he never had a Qb. Things might've been different if Watson were still there ( but we wont open that can of worms). Anyway....I hope Smith gets another shot. And thanks for getting the Bears to a SB and the draft pick
Lovie Smith defense works when they get their 3+ turnovers a game. that bend but don't break principle doesn't work otherwise. there's been the steady progression with rule changes that affect defense in the interest of player safety that's a whole other issue. like a Buddy Ryan 46, you kind of need the right people to run it too I think. lot of pressure up front, for fumble forcing magical powers, something the Bears lack now. :)

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
we all know he got fired for letting them win the last game duh , sign him to DC !

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Sorry to see Lovie get the boot, but honestly, it feels like the league has left his defense behind. I realize I'm not an expert on defensive schemes.
The cover 2 is a good defense IF you have a HOF level middle linebacker that can range side to side and cover deep and 2 other really good linebackers and a front 4 that can get home consistently without blitzing.

Similarly, the Martz offense is great if you have a HOF level LT and elite WR and RB who can excel at catching out of the backfield.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Say what you want about the Bears org. , at least it’s not a shit show like the Texans nor Colts.

Last season the Jags and Giants would have been subbed for the texans and colts tho

there is only one common denominator, <the Bears are who we thought they were>.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Lovie Smith defense works when they get their 3+ turnovers a game. that bend but don't break principle doesn't work otherwise. there's been the steady progression with rule changes that affect defense in the interest of player safety that's a whole other issue. like a Buddy Ryan 46, you kind of need the right people to run it too I think. lot of pressure up front, for fumble forcing magical powers, something the Bears lack now. :)
Yeah......I never liked the bend but don't break principle

there's been the steady progression with rule changes that affect defense in the interest of player safety

True. And u read my mind. I was definitely a Buddy Ryan 46 advocate. I remember teams being interviewed prior to games and they were literally afraid to play us.:)

But you're right, ya gotta have the right ppl running it ( and good coverage is a key). But like u mentioned, because of player safety today, alterations would have to made in the way they would tackle the Qb and the wr's.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why any team treats coaches on a one year situation baffles me and makes management look like the real failure.
Coaches aren't players on a one year deal. That works for a player because they play one position, thats all they need to do. Coaches have way more responsibility as well as building up the position coaches. What happens to them? Well who cares it seems.

Really lame for any team to do this to a coaching staff.
This will backfire for the Texans.

Lovie was hired as a character guy while Texans try to rebuild their image and as a placeholder on an imploding team

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I agree that it's shitty of Texans to fire Lovie after one year, but it is ludicrous they hired the guy.

And it is ridiculous that Bears fans want to hire him as DC.

I think very highly of him s a person, and I respect the heck out of him, but he has sucked at coaching for a decade or more. It was a terrible hire in Houston and everyone knew he was one and done long ago. Houston is indeed a shitty organization, and this will not win them any fans among the coaching community.

But the very last thing we need to wish for is Lovie coaching D in Chicago. The only thing worse would be if he coached the offense.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I highly doubt he did it for his old team and I suspect he knew he was gone. Apparently he told the team they were going for the win before the game. Don't care if he had any concern for the Bear and I thank him either way.:beer:

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The cover 2 is a good defense IF you have a HOF level middle linebacker that can range side to side and cover deep and 2 other really good linebackers and a front 4 that can get home consistently without blitzing.

Similarly, the Martz offense is great if you have a HOF level LT and elite WR and RB who can excel at catching out of the backfield.
What does the Cover 2 have to do with our defense?

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:

Every system is a decent system if you have good enough players. Even better when they are top talent. Even Flus HITS system is good. It just won’t be shown on the field if you don’t have the players. Players make the system. But you can only work with what you got.