Lovie Smith discusses the tenets of his philosophy regarding adjustments necessary when transitioning from Collegiate to Professional Football.

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
I always liked Lovie. I wish him the best. Especially after the cluster**** at U of I.

mecha

Liked Posts:
with the Bears, he ran a much tighter ship than these offensive dorks Trestman and Nagy ever did/could. paired with Marinelli they were pretty great on defense with some older players too. being backed in a corner where you have to promote Mike Tice to offensive coordinator, not good. I know nothing about the Lovie Bucs except the Bears NEEDED to beat them. but god bless him.

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
being backed in a corner where you have to promote Mike Tice to offensive coordinator, not good.

Imagine. Mike Tice as OC. In what alternate universe would that have worked? lol

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
What Ron Rivera did with the defense is the real reason they were so successful. There was a clear drop off when lovie ego got in the way and didn’t want to retain him

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you all really believe what he's saying? I don't.

How soon we forget. Lovie never gave much info to the press. Remember his injury reports?

So we take him at his word that he won't have to make adjustments??? That's funny.

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What Ron Rivera did with the defense is the real reason they were so successful. There was a clear drop off when lovie ego got in the way and didn’t want to retain him
Yes and no. Without Rivera, Lovie still had 2 top 5 defenses. Also, his defenses after Rivera always ranked high in takeaways. 8th, 2nd, 12th,3rd, 5th, and 1st. Lovie's schemed changed over time as well. I used to do a ton of videos back in the day. We started using much more Cover 3 especially when we draft Danieal Manning. Manning struggled, but had the tools to play the deep 3rd of the field. People thought Lovie was strictly a Cover 2 guy and that was not the case.

People would get pissed at Lovie at giving up big plays like the Super Bowl TD that Wayne scored. Everyone wanted to blame Lovie for staying in Cover 2 but honestly that wasn't a bad call. The Colts back up tight end ran down the seam and Manning took too many steps towards him. Meanwhile Reggie Wayne is running a go route. Tillman passes him off to Manning. But Manning isn't there. Wayne is wide open. You see Chris Harris running into the shot from the TV angle but he was never supposed to Cover Wayne. He recognized what was happening and tried to run across the field to stop it. Mike Brown's injury and never being able to find his replacement hurt Lovie's defenses probably more than anything.....and Babich was trash.

Last edited:

Romo27

Liked Posts:
Lovie's problem at Illinois wasn't his system. It was lackadaisical recruiting. If you have a system you like, then you should go find players who will work in that system. Bielema has already shown himself to be orders of magnitude better at recruiting.

On another note, as a Realtor here in C/U, I got to show Lovie's vacated condo to an interested party. Very, very nice.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Lovie's problem at Illinois wasn't his system. It was lackadaisical recruiting. If you have a system you like, then you should go find players who will work in that system. Bielema has already shown himself to be orders of magnitude better at recruiting.

On another note, as a Realtor here in C/U, I got to show Lovie's vacated condo to an interested party. Very, very nice.

It's gonna come down to the Qb. Smith didn't have one. If Bielema doesn't get one ILL will not be successful

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I always liked Lovie. I wish him the best. Especially after the cluster**** at U of I.
This sounds like you think he was a victim of circumstance at Illinois, rather than the guy running the show. The shitshow as it turned out.

He was Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator and hired his son as a defensive asst. and recently says he was unable to implement his entire D.

As someone else stated somewhere - because his D only worked with a HOF MLB who could cover the whole field, and pro bowl talent at three other spots.

I really wished him well at Illinois, and I respect him for the guy he is, but it didn't work out at Illinois because he ran an outdated D, was never interested in offense, and he didn't out in the effort in recruiting.

I don't hope for failure with the Texans, but I don't expect it to go well.