Luke Little WR

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I've got an idea. Why don't we wait for the offseason to give him a chance to learn the playbook and build some chemistry with Fields before freaking out about giving up a second round pick? Or nah.
And the context matters as to why it cost a second round pick. Free agent class sucks and a high second round rookie is about a 50% bust rate. Trading a second rounder for a sure thing was a great move, and still is.

msadows

Liked Posts:
And the context matters as to why it cost a second round pick. Free agent class sucks and a high second round rookie is about a 50% bust rate. Trading a second rounder for a sure thing was a great move, and still is.

50% is generous. 5 WR's were taken in the 2nd round in the 2021 Fields draft. None have yet surpassed 1000 yards in almost two full seasons now, combined.

100% mapletron can contribute more than a 2nd round rookie next year. The issue will be if he's good enough to re-sign or not. If he only puts up 600 yards and a handful of TD's, they probably let him walk, and then that 2nd round pick trade feels like a ripoff.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
I think Claypool can be good but we clearly lost the trade.

Arguments that we didn't lose the trade are pretty laughable at this point and are entirely out of touch with how value works in the NFL.

Not going to derail the whole project, but I hope it's not a sign of things to come from Poles in terms of asset management.

mikeyk

Liked Posts:
Ahhhh yes.. another day, another attempted thread derailment by Smooth Branebro.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
He doesn’t need the whole off-season. He did need a few weeks though and his coach indicated he knew most of it now.

Realistic people gave him a month or so. Unfortunately then he got injured.

Hopefully he comes back this week and has a decent game so everyone can shut the fuck up about it.
Allot of us already gave him 3 years including the Steelers. Steelers weren’t impressed and dumped him.

Despite my feelings about his play idt he should come back to play this year that injury looked really bad glad it wasn’t as bad as it looked but with Mooney already with a serious injury would hate for claypool to aggravate things furthers. Bears season is done main goal is to survive the next few games

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Allot of us already gave him 3 years including the Steelers. Steelers weren’t impressed and dumped him.

Despite my feelings about his play idt he should come back to play this year that injury looked really bad glad it wasn’t as bad as it looked but with Mooney already with a serious injury would hate for claypool to aggravate things furthers. Bears season is done main goal is to survive the next few games

Good players do get traded in the NFL.

chi

Liked Posts:
Rumor out of Pittsburgh is that Claypool cares more about IG and Snap hos than football. After a tough loss last year Mike Tomlin was addressing the team and Chase was sending snaps to some lovely young ladies. This pissed off alot of veterans on the team. This was and always will be an awful trade.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Arguments that we didn't lose the trade are pretty laughable at this point and are entirely out of touch with how value works in the NFL.

Not going to derail the whole project, but I hope it's not a sign of things to come from Poles in terms of asset management.

Huh? Those two statements contradict each other.

If claypool is good next year, he probably gets an extension. At that point the 2nd round pick is worth it for both teams.

Calling it a lost trade after a few games is being very short sighted. I'll give him the offseason to mesh with fields, I have no doubt with his skillset and fields deep accuracy he can contribute next year.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Steelers are literally the best team in my lifetime at constantly drafting great wide receivers and the Steelers were more than happy to unload him on poles for a high second round pick.

Ravens are on my list of teams who consistently draft amazing defensive talent year in and year out. They were more than happy to give us a draft pick for Smith.

Ryan Poles continuously getting fleeced by GMs that actually know what they are doing.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Imagine being perpetually negative about the sole bright spot on the roster just to be the self declared "villain" of ccs, only to play a victim when people hate on you. It's twisted and sad.
Imagine proclaiming yourself as a villain and then WHINING about being picked on. Yikes.

Wonder how many DM’s he’s sent the mods this week. On a holiday week!

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Steelers are literally the best team in my lifetime at constantly drafting great wide receivers and the Steelers were more than happy to unload him on poles for a high second round pick.

Ravens are on my list of teams who consistently draft amazing defensive talent year in and year out. They were more than happy to give us a draft pick for Smith.

Ryan Poles continuously getting fleeced by GMs that actually know what they are doing.
The bears were not resigning roquan. He got value there.

He also fleeced the eagles with a guy that provided no clue and then was sent to er

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
50% is generous. 5 WR's were taken in the 2nd round in the 2021 Fields draft. None have yet surpassed 1000 yards in almost two full seasons now, combined.

100% mapletron can contribute more than a 2nd round rookie next year. The issue will be if he's good enough to re-sign or not. If he only puts up 600 yards and a handful of TD's, they probably let him walk, and then that 2nd round pick trade feels like a ripoff.
Huh? Those two statements contradict each other.

If claypool is good next year, he probably gets an extension. At that point the 2nd round pick is worth it for both teams.

Calling it a lost trade after a few games is being very short sighted. I'll give him the offseason to mesh with fields, I have no doubt with his skillset and fields deep accuracy he can contribute next year.
They do not contradict each other. You don't get it.

Good players on dirt cheap rookie contracts = value
Great players (which you have a small chance of landing in the early 2nd) = value
Good players on market value contracts = decent but the cap hit undercuts the value

Claypool has one year left of category 1 but after that he'll be in category 3 or off the team.

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'll wait till next season to make that judgement. Plenty of 2nd round WR's do not hit the ground running. For every George Pickens you get two WR's who don't do shit their rookie year.

He's def trending in the direction of the trade looking like a steal for the steelers, but I think Mapletrons ceiling is much higher than any WR you could get in the second round this year, and his production should be as well..
It's also way too early to predict what any WR taken in the 2nd round will become in the NFL. It also didn't have to be a WR we used that pick on because there will be many players at all different positions that will be better players than what Claypool is IMO.

I haven't given up on Claypool, i just don't and never did think he was worth such a high 2nd round pick. If it was the 2nd rounder we got from Balt then i would of felt much more comfortable with it.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I’m not sure you understand just how complex NFL playbooks are for players regardless if they are rookies or vets. Parcells once said that a playbook takes a year for a player to fully grasp the system.
Doesn't seem like it took T.Hill or AJ Brown long to learn their new teams playbooks. I guess it depends on the work those players put into it and their football IQ amongst other things.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Da fuk does this even mean?
Steelers consistently draft great WR but Claypool is bad.
Ravens draft amazing defensive talent so much so that they had to trade for an expiring contract guy whose production was easily replaced by an UDFA.

So are you saying these teams don't actually draft consistently great WR's and draft amazing defensive talent?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

It was obviously a very poor offseason for Poles in many ways, i'm still down with Poles and this coaching staff, but this next offseason is huge for him. He's got to hit big in free agency or trades and this draft. This offseason is year 1 of this rebuild. Last offseason was just tearing it all down and he damn sure tore it down to the bare ass.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Claypool hasn't played hardly at all so I don't know how you can say that they "lost" the trade. He has the measurables for a number two receiver with good size and speed. What do you base your assessment based on?

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
Claypool hasn't played hardly at all so I don't know how you can say that they "lost" the trade. He has the measurables for a number two receiver with good size and speed. What do you base your assessment based on?
That the NFL isn't like other leagues and a lot of the value you get is with the rookie contract.

So every game Claypool misses or doesn't make an impact in is just 1 less game in that rookie contract.

Not to mention we literally don't even want to win this year so trading future wins (the upcoming high 2nd) for short term wins (Claypool) is also very strange in that sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.