Market price for Roquan smith extension?

Decatur Staley

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
Warner was not a 1st round pick hence why he would have been a free agent next year. Quan was a 1st rounder and thus we exercised the 5th year option. So he is not a free agent until 2023.

So he can play out the next two years and then if nothing is worked out just franchise him and work it out. New TV deal will be in effect starting 2023 so probably better to wait to see how that impacts the cap.

Ya, the franchise twice was in response to the Hoosier optometrist who suggested he's under team control for 4 more years... I just don't think he'd be accepting of the franchise tag given his contractual complications in the past.

Everyone rightly pointed out that our cap situation will probably be in a very different position two years from now, so Quinn probably won't have any impact... But that also assumes Pace doesn't do anything stupid over the next two years. Which would be a nice surprise.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
and FWIW yes, pay the man. He's not even close to his peak. He is going to be a piece you build around.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ya, the franchise twice was in response to the Hoosier optometrist who suggested he's under team control for 4 more years... I just don't think he'd be accepting of the franchise tag given his contractual complications in the past.

Everyone rightly pointed out that our cap situation will probably be in a very different position two years from now, so Quinn probably won't have any impact... But that also assumes Pace doesn't do anything stupid over the next two years. Which would be a nice surprise.

Not sure he has much choice in the matter if it comes to that. The new CBA that the players signed made it costly as did Bell's holdout blowing up on him. Every day of training camp missed 50k. Every preseason game missed is a game check. If you don't report on time to TC or miss a material part of the year then you lose an accrued season. So in the end, he will likely play. Players fucked themselves in the new CBA on this front hence why ARob has been quiet and just accepted his Franchise Tag.

There really is no incentive now for teams to give in to a player aside from goodwill or if the player is asking for an amount the team is willing to pay.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Remember how much trouble he gave us with his rookie contract…..
Yet you seem to have forgotten the reason for that dispute and it had nothing to do with how much he was being paid. It was about making sure he gets that money. The NFL's player contracts are built to fuck them every way possible for not being perfect little soldiers.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Warner is probably better than Roquan, but Leonard certainly is not, despite his better reputation (probowls, ROY). Good thing is that number won't go up too much either way. If Roquan has another good year in 2021, let him play out the 5th year. Then work on re-signing him. Worst case scenario, he gets hurt and the Bears save some or all of the potential money they owe him. Best case, he continues to play very well and gets 20M/year instead of 19M that those 2 got. No big deal.

I don't think he is.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Ryan Pace is so goddamn lucky he fell in his lap he better not let him go but we have time to evaluate and injuries could always play a role...

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't think he is.
I can buy that. It's a coin toss really. PFF likes Warner a lot more than Roquan for whatever reason. I put Warner slightly ahead due to not missing a game in 3 years vs 4 for Smith (not including playoffs). Warner is probably a touch better in coverage. Smith a better run defender and immensely better blitzer. So, could go either way.