Matt Bowen on Fields

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have been burned far too many times by this team's decisions at the QB position to fall madly in love with Justin Fields before he actually plays in the NFL, but it is crazy to see literally everyone loving this pick.

#iwant2believe

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Brad Biggs looks much improved from the end of year Interview with Pace/Nagy lol. He looked depressed AF - hadn't shaved in weeks, wearing a stocking cap and hoody and you could tell he was miserable.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I have been burned far too many times by this team's decisions at the QB position to fall madly in love with Justin Fields before he actually plays in the NFL, but it is crazy to see literally everyone loving this pick.

#iwant2believe
Me too.

I think we got a good QB, but the luster wears off quick if we're not in the playoffs consistently.

Watch for the defense to slide. Probably not Mel Tucker bad, but I really think we're just league average now.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brad Biggs looks much improved from the end of year Interview with Pace/Nagy lol. He looked depressed AF - hadn't shaved in weeks, wearing a stocking cap and hoody and you could tell he was miserable.
lol I actually wouldn't mind seeing that older video just to see Brad Biggs wearing a stocking cap.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Matt Bowen's take, though I don't 100 percent agree with all of it. I always get a little nervous when people make comparisons to the KC offense. KC has the best tight-end in the game (by far), the functionally fastest player in the NFL as a deep threat, and prior to Eric Fisher's injury, one of the better offensive lines in the league. I still believe that while Patrick Mahomes is an incredible talent, he benefits tremendously from those other assets.

On the other hand, with the Bears, there are a lot of unprovens. The Bears offensive line has the potential to be good. I think next year they will be better than they are this year; in fact I think they'll be dominant (next year). It remains to be seen what Kmet will develop into, and the only guy the Bears have on the roster that might have speed approaching Tyreek Hill's speed is Damiere Byrd, and he's still slower by a generous .2 of a second in the 100m. So no Mr Bowen, I don't think the Bears will look like the Chiefs. Which doesn't mean they have their own strengths; I think the Chicago running game has the potential to maul people this year.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

#iwant2believe
Bitch please, I'm already canceling going to see my first child's graduation to watch Fields HOF induction

Priorities

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Watch for the defense to slide. Probably not Mel Tucker bad, but I really think we're just league average now.

The way I look at it, this team had their shot at winning a trophy on the backs of a Top Defense and blew it. It's time to give the offense a shot.

Having another rookie QB contract and the team being in much better cap space after this season allows Pace to be aggressive in FA. If Fields looks like the answer, go all in on him instead.

Even mediocre defenses look great if your offense is already up three scores.

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:

#iwant2believe
Thus is exactly how I feel. I want to be excited but am too scared ???

Brownie

Liked Posts:
I like Matt Bowen's take, though I don't 100 percent agree with all of it. I always get a little nervous when people make comparisons to the KC offense. KC has the best tight-end in the game (by far), the functionally fastest player in the NFL as a deep threat, and prior to Eric Fisher's injury, one of the better offensive lines in the league. I still believe that while Patrick Mahomes is an incredible talent, he benefits tremendously from those other assets.

On the other hand, with the Bears, there are a lot of unprovens. The Bears offensive line has the potential to be good. I think next year they will be better than they are this year; in fact I think they'll be dominant (next year). It remains to be seen what Kmet will develop into, and the only guy the Bears have on the roster that might have speed approaching Tyreek Hill's speed is Damiere Byrd, and he's still slower by a generous .2 of a second in the 100m. So no Mr Bowen, I don't think the Bears will look like the Chiefs. Which doesn't mean they have their own strengths; I think the Chicago running game has the potential to maul people this year.

I think that's the thing though: He said the Bears need to try to look more like the Chiefs if that's what Nagy is going for. Schematically, match up wise and for Nagy to take advantage of the mismatches.

And to your point about the running game: actually use the running game when like the Chiefs were able to against Buffalo when it was there to be exploited.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Me too.

I think we got a good QB, but the luster wears off quick if we're not in the playoffs consistently.

Regarding the defense, we don’t know yet. They are as big of a question mark as Fields is. I’ll say it again....The biggest difference will be Desai.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:

Well said...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
FWIW Trevor Sikkema, who is probably the top analyst for thedraftnetwork.com, which is maybe the best free draft analysis site imo, said the Fields picks was the best pick of the entire draft.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I agree.

Desai makes me nervous. A Bears internal hire?

lol.
He should make fans nervous because no one really knows anything about him. All we really know is he wants to bring back a Fangio style defense. That alone makes me excited, but will he be able to execute it?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Me too.

If JF is as good as I think he's going to be that's really all we need. 2023-24 I think is where things are going to get crazy good, in other words time to build up the defense again.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not worried at all about Desai. He's an anti-Pagano. He'll make calls similar to Fangio and get the defense closer to what they were. I only wish we had the same secondary .

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not worried at all about Desai. He's an anti-Pagano. He'll make calls similar to Fangio and get the defense closer to what they were. I only wish we had the same secondary .
Yeah I actually think Desai will have a little mad-scientist in him.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And as for whether Fields is the answer or not, it's understandable to be a skeptic. We as fans have NEVER been in this position before. To have gotten a player of this caliber in the first round at QB is very atypical of the Bears.