Matt Eberflus hired as Bears head coach

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Wait a second.....I thought the Bears only hired a defensive guy? How can a defensive guy also work with the passing game?
Umm passing game coordinator can be a defensive position too and probably is in this situation.

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
There's plenty of examples of QBs developing under non-offensive head coaches.

Lamar Jackson under John Harbaugh.
Ben Roethlisberger under Mike Tomlin.
Josh Allen under Sean McDermott.
Tom Brady under Bill Belichick.
Matt Stafford under Jim Schwartz.
Matt Ryan under Mike Smith.
Russell Wilson under Pete Carroll.
Ryan Tannehill under Mike Vrabel (kinda)

...and others I'm sure I'm missing. You could also find a lot of examples of QBs failing to become anything underneath an offensive minded head coach: Trubisky (and Fields year 1) as a prime example close to home. Hiring a head coach from a defensive background definitely doesn't preclude you from having a good offense or a team that can develop a QB. Ultimately it'll come down to whether or not we drafted the right guy in Fields or not.
A head coach's job ins't to develop a QB. It's to be in charge of the people who develop the QB.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
This is going to be a disaster. Can't wait for the middle of the field to be wide open again with that vaunted Cover 2 scheme, and for Jaylon Johnson's skill set to be completely neutered when he's asked to drop back into a zone and play 5 yards off his receiver.

Can't wait for Justin Fields to experience what it's like to have a new offensive coordinator every year, either because the guy sucked or was very good and got hired by another team to be their HC.

The Bears will be right back here in 2 or 3 years looking for another coach, perhaps with a quarterback who's damaged goods by then, too.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I left the Falcons to become a Bears fans because they didn't draft Justin Fields and their front office history of status quo bullshit. With the Bears, it appears I never left the Falcons. Horrible hire.
Thanks for stopping by. Better luck with your next selection. Try a team that doesn't suck maybe

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
so when developing the most important position we have to hope our OC isnt good enough to get a HC job? great..

Having a great offensive minded HC does 2 things.. if your O is working great there is always the thought that is it because of the HC and less to do with the OC. When the HC is a defensive guy, 100% of the success on the O is being attributed to the OC so much higher chance of getting plucked for a HC job.

And in the case that your OC gets plucked.. if your HC is an offensive guy and created the system.. then almost nothing changes for your young developing QB, the same can not be said when your HC is a defensive guy..

and year 3 he is learning a new system.. so 3 systems in 3 years seems like a foolish idea dont you think?
you do know that you're allowed to promote from within, right? you don't always have to get a new system.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
You have no fucking clue when the new OC gets a HC job. If it is their first year calling plays then probably will not leave after one year. How long has Daboll or Leftwich called plays?

These two guys have been mentioned. None of them have play calling or OC experience so no I dont think either leaves after one year.
No shit.. I'm talking about the RISK of potentially losing your OC. If Fields has a great year then the chance of our OC getting plucked is VERY high when 100% of his success is pointed to the OC. vs a large part would be pointed to the HC if it was an offensive minded HC and system.

Whats better for the development for fields? A defensive HC and a revolving door at the OC position or a Offensive HC and consistency with the offensive system?

Basically all we can do is hope that our OC is competent enough to do an OK job but not too competent enough to get offered a HC job.. great..

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There's plenty of examples of QBs developing under non-offensive head coaches.

Lamar Jackson under John Harbaugh.
Ben Roethlisberger under Mike Tomlin.
Josh Allen under Sean McDermott.
Tom Brady under Bill Belichick.
Peyton Manning under Jim Mora.
Matt Stafford under Jim Schwartz.
Matt Ryan under Mike Smith.
Russell Wilson under Pete Carroll.
Ryan Tannehill under Mike Vrabel (kinda)

...and others I'm sure I'm missing. You could also find a lot of examples of QBs failing to become anything underneath an offensive minded head coach: Trubisky (and Fields year 1) as a prime example close to home. Hiring a head coach from a defensive background definitely doesn't preclude you from having a good offense or a team that can develop a QB. Ultimately it'll come down to whether or not we drafted the right guy in Fields or not.

Bears fans are meatballs. The main benefit of a D minded HC is they can focus on running the whole time and the OC and QB coach can be 100% focused on developing the QB and offense.

We just saw what happens when an O minded HC gets overwhelemed because he still wants to have heavy involvement in playcalling.

Neither approach is better than the other. It is just a question of whether the specific individual can make it work or not.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
For all the free flowing angst and vitriol on the board, deep in your hearts, you know Eberflus could still install a better offensive scheme than Nagy did...
To be fair, even the clueless CCS posters could install an offense that was almost as good as Nagy's.

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
I left the Falcons to become a Bears fans because they didn't draft Justin Fields and their front office history of status quo bullshit. With the Bears, it appears I never left the Falcons. Horrible hire.
Just jump on the lions band wagon next time. That way you have nowhere but up to go on the following jump.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
you do know that you're allowed to promote from within, right? you don't always have to get a new system.
yes and all we can do is hope the guy you didnt think was good enough to be a OC (otherwise you would of just hired him as the OC in the first place) somehow turns out to be a competent OC.. but not too competent otherwise your back to the drawing board again..

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
A head coach's job ins't to develop a QB. It's to be in charge of the people who develop the QB.
But it's important he have an offewnsive mindset when your offense has no direction and your QB cant read defenses

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Toledo, Missouri, Browns, Cowboys, Colts.

Jason Garrett, Eric Mangini, Frank Reich.

This is his employment history.

Does this excite anyone? Does this give anyone confidence?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Gus...You're not in the class room..If you keep asking people what they mean and to explain things, sooner or later someone is going to tell you to go fuck yourself...Something I did years ago!
Please clarify. "Something I did years ago" is not very clear.

Did you ask Gus to go fuck himself years ago?

or

Did you fuck yourself years ago?