Matt Eberflus hired as Bears head coach

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So...did the Lions have a great DEFENSE? I don't remember seeing them do a great job. Is that a concern? In my fantasy football leagues they were ranked 30th. Various rankings and stats I'm looking at have them pretty low.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Maybe get a larger sample pool than just one coach?

Should we define you by your boss at work?

What a ridiculous reach.

you know, sometimes people are just trying to make their way up in the world. And whoever hired them has nothing to do with anything about them. Why this needs to be explained to you is baffling to me, but whatever.

Do you think Eberflus applied online for the OC job in Indy because he was super excited about being able to work under Frank Reich? You think maybe he was just offered a job that probbaly paid him 3-4x his current job and took it? And who the coach was probably didn’t matter? Because there are only 32 OC NFL jobs in the world? And if you’re trying to make your way up at that job you’re not really in a position to be picky about things? You think that’s maybe possible? Or do you think Eberflus hand picked who he was going to be working under?

Last edited:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
This is going to be a disaster. Can't wait for the middle of the field to be wide open again with that vaunted Cover 2 scheme, and for Jaylon Johnson's skill set to be completely neutered when he's asked to drop back into a zone and play 5 yards off his receiver.

Can't wait for Justin Fields to experience what it's like to have a new offensive coordinator every year, either because the guy sucked or was very good and got hired by another team to be their HC.

The Bears will be right back here in 2 or 3 years looking for another coach, perhaps with a quarterback who's damaged goods by then, too.
Awesome to see that you feel Eberflus will not adjust to the players on the roster.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
So...did the Lions have a great DEFENSE? I don't remember seeing them do a great job. Is that a concern? In my fantasy football leagues they were ranked 30th. Various rankings and stats I'm looking at have them pretty low.
Why are you asking about the lions defense?

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
I left the Falcons to become a Bears fans because they didn't draft Justin Fields and their front office history of status quo bullshit. With the Bears, it appears I never left the Falcons. Horrible hire.
I relate to this a lot. Watched the Texans from the existence of the franchise until they gave away DeAndre Hopkins for free. Sorta paid attention after they canned O'Brien in hopes of a franchise reset. Then they pivoted to a religious organization instead of a football team and I bounced. Decided wherever Fields got drafted would be the new team I'd follow so ended up with the Bears.

In the entire time I watched the Texans, I never once feared the Colts defense which is why I'm so meh about this hire. The AFC South has had notoriously horrendous offenses with the exception of the Colts, which obviously, he never had to face in games. Watson was largely the exception outside of the Colts and even he was limited at times by horrendous play-calling. I can't help but worry that a large portion of his resume was inflated by playing some bad offenses 6 times a season.

Despite my misgivings, I will give him and Poles a chance. I just hope like hell they have a good plan at offensive coordinator and QB coach to help give Fields a real chance at success instead of being barriers to success.

Dawgsfan1

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be shocked to hear that they hire Rex Ryan to be offensive coordinator. I mean, you have to be open for anything with this crew.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
You don't trade the assets the Bears did to grab a quarterback and then hire a defensive head coach. The quarterbacks you listed were available when those teams drafted. The Bears traded assets to get Fields and have spent THE ENTIRE TIME SNCE THEN TO MINIMIZE HIM. The coup de grace was TELLING the media that Fields would have no say in the head coach search. This is a scrub organization, period.
I'm as low on the Bears' brass being able to find guys who can do the job as anyone but you're just being angry to be angry it seems. What we gave up to get Fields has nothing to do with anything. What's done is done, now you move on. But do you not think the Bears know that they traded a 1st this year for Fields last year? Do you think they would have let lame-duck Pace do that if they didn't think highly of Fields? So there's just no way that Fields didn't factor into whatever coach they hire.

Beyond that, defensive coaches know a thing or two about offense otherwise they wouldn't be good defensive coaches. Beyond that, in a head coach you're looking for a motivator and a shot caller, not a micro-manager. You can bet your ass that Eberflus had good answers for what to do with Fields (at least in management's and Poles' opinion) which helps to explain why he was hired even if he's a former defensive coordinator.

I don't see what the Bears did to specifically minimize Fields other than have a shitty coach who was subsequently fired due in part to not being able to play to Fields' (and Trubisky's) strengths in designing an offense to his team. We're hiring a new guy specifically because the old guy proved he didn't know what he was doing.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
I literally just told you what the issue was.. you quoted it

Get the CEO HC that ALSO is an offensive guy means that Fields can stick with his system for the next 10+ years.. VS ANY success we have on O will be contributed 100% to our OC and the chance of Fields learning his 3rd system in 3 years goes up a lot..

This is an offensive league guys, that is driven by the QB that should of been the priority..
There's more than one way to put together a competent offense. I'd rather have a HC that can make quality in-game decisions on gameday, and delegate the rest, than a micro-managing multi-tasker.

If I had to hear Nagy say one more time how he "didn't see it on the field" I'da died.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Should we define you by your boss at work?

What a ridiculous reach.
Oh for fucks sake.

you learn from who you work with. Where’s the great coaches for him to learn from?

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know why those on here even reply to him. Just ignore him, or better yet put the idiot on ignore! Old dirtypants is a troll! And a bad one at that!
I appreciate everyone's perspective and comments, even his. And yes, I do mostly do not reply to his comments, but I do not have anyone here on ignore, probably never will. However, he really opened himself up for my reply, was too easy.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
I don't know much about Eberflus. Over the past few years, I have kept my eye on the Colt's scores because a friend of mine is a Colt's fan and it is fun to talk about football. I rooted for them to win and you know who to lose. It seems to me during those few recent years back, the Colts have been pretty competitive. Why not give the new HC the benefit of the doubt until we know? Could it be that Bill Polian, McCaskey's committee, and Ryan Poles know a little bit more about football than we do? I really like Ryan Poles so far. Let's face it, we are better off than we were with Nagy and Pace.

Incognegro

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You don't trade the assets the Bears did to grab a quarterback and then hire a defensive head coach. The quarterbacks you listed were available when those teams drafted. The Bears traded assets to get Fields and have spent THE ENTIRE TIME SNCE THEN TO MINIMIZE HIM. The coup de grace was TELLING the media that Fields would have no say in the head coach search. This is a scrub organization, period.
I think it comes down to the offensive staff that’s hired. I like the idea of having the offensive side of the ball being the sole focus of the person in charge of building and running the offense vs having to run the entire team and develop the offense. Especially for a first time head coach. Our defense at this point is far more established than our offense is.