Matt Eberflus hired as Bears head coach

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Josh Allen developed with a defensive head coach.
He's a unicorn and one of the exceptions. But overall with the way the league has been trending, offensive head coaches are running the league. Look at this past divisional round. 6/8 teams are ran by O guys and one of them is that exception with Josh Allen at the helm.

I'm not trying to say they cant have success because he's a defensive guy, i just think your chances are better if he weren't.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
this is what people do when they’ve lost an argument but are desperately trying to save face.

maybe next you can go with the amateur hour move of claiming I’m mad. Or I’m “melting down“ as your next deflection from the fact that you’re losing the debate.
More yawn

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Loafing when you make a minimum of like 500k, but more than likely you make 1M or more per year, to play a game, is unacceptable.

Would be nice if our new HC truly attacked this problem.

If you watch the Bears post game shows, they almost always have examples of big plays by the Bears opponents where they exploit Bears players who loaf, often for TDs.

You hear Briggs and Alex Brown say "Just, DO. YOUR. JOB." and the guys on defense (EJax notably) don't do their jobs.

Briggs and Brown did enough of their own loafing, they know it when they see it.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
LOL, Bears gonna Bears.

bearsb_logo.gif
Bears hire HC Matt Eberflus: F Grade
When Matt Eberflus was presiding over a defense that had no answer for Trevor Lawrence in the must-win season finale, the thought, "Wow, this guy will make a great head coach" never popped into my head. The Colts generated a conference-best 33 turnovers in 2021, but they feasted on lots of bad competition. They always came up short in big games, and they struggled to put pressure on the quarterback despite spending a first-round pick on a defensive end.

Eberflus didn't seem like the best candidate at all, or even a viable candidate. He also coaches the wrong side of the ball. Chicago needed to hire an offensive mastermind to help develop Justin Fields. Eberflus could always get a brilliant offensive coordinator, but if Fields makes great strides, that offensive coordinator will be snatched up by another team very quickly to be their head coach, and Fields will have to learn from someone else in a short time frame. That's why the Bears needed to hire an offensive head coach.
I think people are looking at this the wrong way.

Having coaches or scouts poached from you is a sign of your success. If whatever OC is hired away because he's the next big thing, it means that Justin Fields and the offense have been successful. Which is what we want.

So, I kind of hope we are in that situation.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I'm as low on the Bears' brass being able to find guys who can do the job as anyone but you're just being angry to be angry it seems. What we gave up to get Fields has nothing to do with anything. What's done is done, now you move on. But do you not think the Bears know that they traded a 1st this year for Fields last year? Do you think they would have let lame-duck Pace do that if they didn't think highly of Fields? So there's just no way that Fields didn't factor into whatever coach they hire.

Beyond that, defensive coaches know a thing or two about offense otherwise they wouldn't be good defensive coaches. Beyond that, in a head coach you're looking for a motivator and a shot caller, not a micro-manager. You can bet your ass that Eberflus had good answers for what to do with Fields (at least in management's and Poles' opinion) which helps to explain why he was hired even if he's a former defensive coordinator.

I don't see what the Bears did to specifically minimize Fields other than have a shitty coach who was subsequently fired due in part to not being able to play to Fields' (and Trubisky's) strengths in designing an offense to his team. We're hiring a new guy specifically because the old guy proved he didn't know what he was doing.
Or could we all be wrong?

I can imagine, 7 years from now, Fields, Trubisky and about 70 current or former Bears players get up and say, "Oh, I get it! That Nagy WAS a genius?"

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:

Speed

Liked Posts:
I'll give it a shot

I'm guessing the thinking here is that is more nuanced and just because he comes from a defensive background doesn't mean he can't scheme what he wants the offense to do. That's what he had to have sold Poles on. You don't get the job by only talking about what he can do for the defense.