Matt Eberflus hired as Bears head coach

Rise

Liked Posts:
That doesn't answer the question. Belief means you are not sure. Sounds like Jerry is not sure.

Even if this is true, if Quinn values money over the chance to be a HC then not sure I would want him. His priorities aren't in the right place.

Jones is not going to embarrass the Bears or any teams owners if he can help it. No need to verify but he does have a huge ego so he tossed that out there cause he wants his fans to know what he did. He is a giant douche.

I agree with you I think the Bears dodged a bullet.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
That doesn't answer the question. Belief means you are not sure. Sounds like Jerry is not sure.

Even if this is true, if Quinn values money over the chance to be a HC then not sure I would want him. His priorities aren't in the right place.
And while he may have been given a raise by Dallas, do we really believe he makes more as DC than as a HC elsewhere? That dog don't hunt.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Jones is not going to embarrass the Bears or any teams owners if he can help it. No need to verify but he does have a huge ego so he tossed that out there cause he wants his fans to know what he did. He is a giant douche.

I agree with you I think the Bears dodged a bullet.
What do you mean he won't embarrass others? He just today said Payton turned down teh Raiders in 2004, and Jason Garrett turned down the Ravens. He just dissed two teams today!

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Jerry Jones is full of shit.

He has a HC nobody else wants, including his fans. His D just interviewed for a job he didn't get. Two, apparently. Denver and Chicago both hired other candidates and then he returned to Dallas. It's a good situation for Dallas to have him back, but there will be non-stop speculation over the next 12 months that McCarthy will be replaced by Quinn or Payton.
Jerry is just trying to prevent him from wanting to leave next offseason for a HC job. Actually, he may end up being the HC in Dallas now…

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
So you would rather lose offensive coordinators than head coaches? I still don’t agree with your reasoning. This team had many flaws besides the quarterback. Every player made mistakes and needs to be coached. A great head coach will go on and on and keep winning no matter who his coordinators are regardless if they are offensive or defensive minded. Justin needs a coach that can concentrate on him while the other coaches do there job and when you have the head coach trying to coach one player that isn’t good. The defensive minded coach will help Justin as well but it’s the quarterback coach and the offensive coordinator that will help him the most.

You cant lose a HC.. what I want is like how it is in KC, when they lose an OC.. it really doesn't matter because Andy Reid is the HC and the real offensive mastermind

So we hire a great OC (an Andy Reid clone) well he is gone in a year or 2.. and that sucks because you just lost a great coach.. BUT if you make that "Andy Reid clone" your HC.. you have the offense locked up for 10+ years..

Its just a different philosophy having a great offensive mind for your HC.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
You cant lose a HC.. what I want is like how it is in KC, when they lose an OC.. it really doesn't matter because Andy Reid is the HC and the real offensive mastermind

So we hire a great OC (an Andy Reid clone) well he is gone in a year or 2.. and that sucks because you just lost a great coach.. BUT if you make that "Andy Reid clone" your HC.. you have the offense locked up for 10+ years..

Sure, you can want that. Most may want that. But the chances of actually getting it are slim…especially if you choose a lesser candidate just because he comes from the offensive side of the ball…

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Jones said he believes Quinn turned down a head-coaching opportunity to sign an extension with the Cowboys "for years to come."

Why would Jones believe it? Either he knows or he doesn't. This doesn't really tell us anything other than Jones has a huge ego.
I never trust much of what Jones says anyways.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Ummm. Why can’t you lose a head coach? Head coaches move on all the time and get replaced by a coordinator. If you have a quarter good enough to be your quarterback for 10 years. The offense will most likely be as good throughout the the quarterbacks career. If you lose a coordinator you don’t hire a completely opposite coordinator, you hire a guy familiar with the offense you’ve been running and let the quarterback guide the new coordinator to get a feel for what the team is doing. He then adds his own wrinkles in. Hell what happens if your quarterback decides to leave instead of resigning? Now your great offensive minded head coach has to find the same e a type of quarterback?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I think you have lost track of what you have said. Let's revisit.

1. I would think the best thing is to have Fields develop into a QB that is not dependent on having a great OC. If the OC of a D minded head coach turns him into that then it was worth it. That is the point.

2. Your claim that success will be short lived is just Special person. Bellichek, Carroll, Tomlin, and Harbaugh are some of the longest tenured HCs so how can you say it will be short lived? We will have to see next year but I suspect Bills success with McDermott will not be short lived even if Daboll leaves because Allen is now a great QB not wholly dependent on his OC. I suspect Herbert will be the same even though he has Staley.

So again the point is you have not provided any support for your opinion. We all get that it is a hypothetical or theoretical risk. The point is that in reality we have plenty of examples to show that hypothetical or theoretical risk is not all that great. If an OC for D or ST HC does his job correctly then what we are left with is a franchise QB that doesn't need to keep the same OC as a crutch.
the short lived success was in regards to the OC leaving which is what my entire argument has been about. you get a great OC and he gets plucked for another HC job vs having that great OC actually be the HC and you have that great OC/HC for 10+ years.. its not complicated here remy I have been very consistent with my reasoning for wanting a offensive HC..

All I have said is with the defensive HC if we end up with a great OC that has great success it will be short lived because he will be gone.. I'm not saying that Fields will turn into a bust, or another person cant step up and take over for the OC.. I have no idea how it will play out and have never claimed otherwise.. But this opens the door for the POSSIBILITY of fields regressing or the POSSIBILITY of the replacement OC not being very good. I have said that I want to have the HC be an offensive guy like in KC so if we lose our OC.. it really doesnt matter much, we dont have to hope that a change wont effect Fields or we dont have to hope the next OC will be just as good.. There is a lot of downside in losing your OC.. all of those downsides disappear if you are operating with that great OC as your HC..

And you can continue asking for examples Remy but the Nagy Reid situation is the exact situation my idea is based around so not sure what to tell you at this point..

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Ummm. Why can’t you lose a head coach? Head coaches move on all the time and get replaced by a coordinator. If you have a quarter good enough to be your quarterback for 10 years. The offense will most likely be as good throughout the the quarterbacks career. If you lose a coordinator you don’t hire a completely opposite coordinator, you hire a guy familiar with the offense you’ve been running and let the quarterback guide the new coordinator to get a feel for what the team is doing. He then adds his own wrinkles in. Hell what happens if your quarterback decides to leave instead of resigning? Now your great offensive minded head coach has to find the same e a type of quarterback?
You can not poach a HC from another team like you can with an OC. thats the rules of the NFL. If the HC is under contract he is yours until his contract expires or you fire him.. other teams have no say in the matter

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
the short lived success was in regards to the OC leaving which is what my entire argument has been about. you get a great OC and he gets plucked for another HC job vs having that great OC actually be the HC and you have that great OC/HC for 10+ years.. its not complicated here remy I have been very consistent with my reasoning for wanting a offensive HC..

All I have said is with the defensive HC if we end up with a great OC that has great success it will be short lived because he will be gone.. I'm not saying that Fields will turn into a bust, or another person cant step up and take over for the OC.. I have no idea how it will play out and have never claimed otherwise.. But this opens the door for the POSSIBILITY of fields regressing or the POSSIBILITY of the replacement OC not being very good. I have said that I want to have the HC be an offensive guy like in KC so if we lose our OC.. it really doesnt matter much, we dont have to hope that a change wont effect Fields or we dont have to hope the next OC will be just as good.. There is a lot of downside in losing your OC.. all of those downsides disappear if you are operating with that great OC as your HC..

And you can continue asking for examples Remy but the Nagy Reid situation is the exact situation my idea is based around so not sure what to tell you at this point..

It is apparently complicated for you. I understand your premise. The problem is your premise is wrong. Bellichek's success was not short lived. He and Charlie Weiss developed Tom Brady and then Weiss left for the Chiefs. Bellichek and Brady then went on to win more Super Bowls and there is zero evidence Brady was harmed by Weiss leaving.

So again you have actually not provided a single example of an OC leaving a D/ST minded HC and said HC's success being short lived. Who are you referring to? Please name them. The guys I can think of off the top of my hand still had success long term. Again Bellichek, Tomlin, Carroll, and Harbaugh have had long term success.

Please just give us some examples to prove your premise is not just a hypothetical. You have literally spent like 20 pages arguing and have yet to provide a single example of a the short lived success that results from your premise. Name the HC, OC and QB you are claiming this happened to.

Monster

Liked Posts:
It is apparently complicated for you. I understand your premise. The problem is your premise is wrong. Bellichek's success was not short lived. He and Charlie Weiss developed Tom Brady and then Weiss left for the Chiefs. Bellichek and Brady then went on to win more Super Bowls and there is zero evidence Brady was harmed by Weiss leaving.

So again you have actually not provided a single example of an OC leaving a D/ST minded HC and said HC's success being short lived. Who are you referring to? Please name them. The guys I can think of off the top of my hand still had success long term. Again Bellichek, Tomlin, Carroll, and Harbaugh have had long term success.

Please just give us some examples to prove your premise is not just a hypothetical.

Nagy going to Chicago? Nvm

Rise

Liked Posts:
What do you mean he won't embarrass others? He just today said Payton turned down teh Raiders in 2004, and Jason Garrett turned down the Ravens. He just dissed two teams today!

Jones didn’t break the news on those, he is low key bragging about doing it a third time without fully admitting it. I’m sure someone will write about it eventually.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Hoge and Jahns said during their Podcast yesterday that Eberflus had two interviews with the Bears before Poles had one. It sure sounds like Poles was given full autonomy…..on a list of finalists pre-approved by ownership.
Didn’t they also say that Poles demanded full autonomy of the coaching search or he’s getting on a plane to Minneapolis? I don’t recall them saying anything about ownership. They hinted Ballard was the connection to Eberflus, given Poles’ time in KC with him.

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Remember in 2015, Adam Gase was the Bears OC for one year and coaxed a noticeable improvement in Jay Cutler’s performance, when Cutler had been phoning it in previously. In 2016, Gase was made a HC, and then the over promoted Dowell Loggans was not successful with Cutler. This literally just happened a few years ago. We lost offensive momentum and continuity, and took a step backwards.

Also, when an OC leaves to be a HC, a lot of times he takes his QB coach with him to be his OC on the new team, or his OL coach, or other members of his staff that the new HC wants to take with him. He leaves the coaches he doesn’t want. Then that team over promotes the leftover, or hires a new OC from another team, and offensive momentum and continuity is interrupted.

I’m not going to sit around worrying about it…it happens on both sides of the ball, like losing Fangio to a HC gig…but it’s an offensive driven league. Deep run playoff teams score way more points than the Bears have been. If we ever are lucky enough to get a competent offensive mind to come to the Bears under Eberflus, and and Justin throws for 4600 yards and thirty touchdowns and they average 27 points a game—none of which is Mt. Olympus—I’m hoping he is a Brian Daboll type, who apparently interviews poorly for HC jobs, or we’ve already won the Super Bowl. Because if all that happens, that OC will be one hot candidate, and all the “good” offensive staff might follow him out the door, affecting offensive momentum and continuity for the following year, and being further from winning the Super Bowl.

I wish they had hired an offensive minded HC, so we could see the offense grow and develop and win for many years because they can score with the best teams. And the main reason they did so is not out interviewing for HC gigs as soon as the season is over.

Last edited:

Canth

Liked Posts:
Jerry Jones is full of shit.

He has a HC nobody else wants, including his fans. His D just interviewed for a job he didn't get. Two, apparently. Denver and Chicago both hired other candidates and then he returned to Dallas. It's a good situation for Dallas to have him back, but there will be non-stop speculation over the next 12 months that McCarthy will be replaced by Quinn or Payton.

The one possibility that springs to mind and could have been true for either Denver or Chicago is that Quinn was offered the HC position but he wanted to be HC with final say with the roster or control of other aspects of the football operation and the two sides simply could not agree on those aspects.

It doesn't have to all be money related issues that mean they cannot come to an agreement. Control of the roster and football operations is also a big part of those kinds of negotiations.

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does the gap in the front bother anyone else? It reminds me of Michael Strahan. It's very distracting to me.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The one possibility that springs to mind and could have been true for either Denver or Chicago is that Quinn was offered the HC position but he wanted to be HC with final say with the roster or control of other aspects of the football operation and the two sides simply could not agree on those aspects.

It doesn't have to all be money related issues that mean they cannot come to an agreement. Control of the roster and football operations is also a big part of those kinds of negotiations.
another possibility is that Poles and Eberflus already had a relationship, which is confirmed, and Quinn never really had a shot