Matt Eberflus hired as Bears head coach

Canth

Liked Posts:
another possibility is that Poles and Eberflus already had a relationship, which is confirmed, and Quinn never really had a shot

Definitely a possibility. There is also a reason I said Denver or Chicago as Denver media types also at one time seemed to be pretty sure Quinn would be the hire there. Quinn very well could have been offered the Denver job but he wanted more control, didn't get it. Then he interviewed with Chicago and Poles decided to go with Eberflus and never offered Quinn the position.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Denver has Hackett, Chicago has Eberflus, and Quinn has returned to Dallas.

Eberflus appears to building a competent staff with the early hires, so we shall see how it works out.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
It is apparently complicated for you. I understand your premise. The problem is your premise is wrong. Bellichek's success was not short lived. He and Charlie Weiss developed Tom Brady and then Weiss left for the Chiefs. Bellichek and Brady then went on to win more Super Bowls and there is zero evidence Brady was harmed by Weiss leaving.

So again you have actually not provided a single example of an OC leaving a D/ST minded HC and said HC's success being short lived. Who are you referring to? Please name them. The guys I can think of off the top of my hand still had success long term. Again Bellichek, Tomlin, Carroll, and Harbaugh have had long term success.

Please just give us some examples to prove your premise is not just a hypothetical. You have literally spent like 20 pages arguing and have yet to provide a single example of a the short lived success that results from your premise. Name the HC, OC and QB you are claiming this happened to.
My premise is wrong is it? So KC is not a successful team then lol

Again Remy the success of your CURRENT OC would be short lived because.. he is no longer on the team.. are you literally asking me to show when an OC gets a HC job?

My example is NAGY left KC and it didn't matter because Andy Reid was still there.. my whole point is that EXACT situation.. how the hell can you not understand that? Or are you literally trying to say that KC took a step back once Nagy left? Lol

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Definitely a possibility. There is also a reason I said Denver or Chicago as Denver media types also at one time seemed to be pretty sure Quinn would be the hire there. Quinn very well could have been offered the Denver job but he wanted more control, didn't get it. Then he interviewed with Chicago and Poles decided to go with Eberflus and never offered Quinn the position.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Denver has Hackett, Chicago has Eberflus, and Quinn has returned to Dallas.

Eberflus appears to building a competent staff with the early hires, so we shall see how it works out.
Denver has been all in mentally with Rodgers since last offseason. I never saw Quinn as a legit candidate in Denver.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
And you think this is an argument for what I said?

If we wanted McDaniels for our HC all we have to do is make him an offer that he can't refuse and there is nothing the pats can do to stop it..

If we wanted Belichick for our HC we can offer every pic that the NFL will allow and the pats can say.. nope and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it..

My statement is you can not poach a HC like you can a OC because that's how it works.. the team has complete control of the HC as long as he is under contract, that is not the case for the OC as long as he is offered a head coaching position

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
And you think this is an argument for what I said?

If we wanted McDaniels for our HC all we have to do is make him an offer that he can't refuse and there is nothing the pats can do to stop it..

If we wanted Belichick for our HC we can offer every pic that the NFL will allow and the pats can say.. nope and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it..

My statement is you can not poach a HC like you can a OC because that's how it works.. the team has complete control of the HC as long as he is under contract, that is not the case for the OC as long as he is offered a head coaching position
No. It means just because you have a coach under contract doesn’t mean he won’t or can’t leave. My statement to you is these coaches nowadays can do what they want, will do what they want when they want. I am glad the Bears picked a coach that is defensive minded because in the end if you don’t stop the other team from scoring you are probably gonna lose more than you win. Plus your K.C. Philosophy only works with Andy Reid as your head coach. No matter what tree they came from they will eventually be their own coach and do things their own way.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
My premise is wrong is it? So KC is not a successful team then lol

Again Remy the success of your CURRENT OC would be short lived because.. he is no longer on the team.. are you literally asking me to show when an OC gets a HC job?

My example is NAGY left KC and it didn't matter because Andy Reid was still there.. my whole point is that EXACT situation.. how the hell can you not understand that? Or are you literally trying to say that KC took a step back once Nagy left? Lol
Reid wasn’t playing in the afc championship every year without Mahomes though so your theory has a huge hole.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
No. It means just because you have a coach under contract doesn’t mean he won’t or can’t leave. My statement to you is these coaches nowadays can do what they want, will do what they want when they want. I am glad the Bears picked a coach that is defensive minded because in the end if you don’t stop the other team from scoring you are probably gonna lose more than you win. Plus your K.C. Philosophy only works with Andy Reid as your head coach. No matter what tree they came from they will eventually be their own coach and do things their own way.
Yes it actually does. Team can block lateral moves

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Yes it actually does. Team can block lateral moves
Not really. No owner is going to keep coach around that doesn’t want to be there. Plain and Simple. They will take the compensation and move on. They will keep making money no matter if they win or lose and the next coach will not be there forever either. I guarantee you Sean Payton will not coach again in New Orleans even though he is under contract until after the 2024 season.

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Chiefs are in the SB, possibly three years in a row. If Reid had retired after the 2018 season for health reasons, would they have gotten to or won the SB in ‘19? Had he retired after the first win, would the chiefs have gotten back the next year, or had that chance this year?

it would have been a lot more difficult without Reid and that offensive continuity, even if they had brought someone in to run the same system. What if Nagy had stayed in KC and bullshitted his way into that job in 2019? Same system. Same players. Or if Pederson had been hired in KC to run the same system.

Mahomes is a generational talent, but he’s had the benefit of being in the same system, with the same play caller for his entire five years in the NFL. If Reid had been a 45 year old OC under a defense head coach, KC would have been looking for a new play caller after the ‘19 season, and maybe after the ‘18 season, and they might not have ever even reached the SB.

Last edited:

Imabearsfan

Liked Posts:
Chiefs are in the SB, possibly three years in a row. If Reid had retired after the 2018 season for health reasons, would they have gotten to or won the SB in ‘19? Had he retired after the first win, would the chiefs have gotten back the next year, or had that chance this year?

it would have been a lot more difficult without Reid and that offensive continuity, even if they had brought someone in to run the same system. What if Nagy had stayed in KC and bullshitted his way into that job in 2019? Same system. Same players. Or if Pederson had been hired in KC to run the same system.

Mahomes is a generational talent, but he’s had the benefit of being in the same system, with the same play caller for his entire five years in the NFL. If Reid had been a 45 year old OC under a defense head coach, KC would have been looking for a new play caller after the ‘19 season, and maybe after the ‘18 season, and they make get not have ever even reached he SB.
Fuck, you lost me after the 7th if.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Reid wasn’t playing in the afc championship every year without Mahomes though so your theory has a huge hole.
lol Reid as a HC has made the playoffs 17 times, 12 division titles, 9 times to the championship game. played in the super bowl 3 times and has 1 ring.. so where is this "huge hole" exactly?

Monster

Liked Posts:
lol Reid as a HC has made the playoffs 17 times, 12 division titles, 9 times to the championship game. played in the super bowl 3 times and has 1 ring.. so where is this "huge hole" exactly?

Seemed like they were highly formidable every year in Philly.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Not really. No owner is going to keep coach around that doesn’t want to be there. Plain and Simple. They will take the compensation and move on. They will keep making money no matter if they win or lose and the next coach will not be there forever either. I guarantee you Sean Payton will not coach again in New Orleans even though he is under contract until after the 2024 season.
This has nothing to do with what I said about a team having complete control over the HC.

And yes a couch can retire.. but the team still has control over that HC until the contract expires.. So if Sean Payton wants to come back next year and coach for another team.. the Saints can say.. nope and there is nothing Sean payton or the other team can do.. Sean Payton is under contract and its up to the saints to decide if they want to trade him to another team or not.. The power is with the Saints.. thats how it works

Last edited:

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It’s an argument in favor of hiring an offensive HC, so there is offensive continuity after a winning season or two…

?

Last edited:

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
This has nothing to do with what I said about a team having complete control over the HC.

And yes a couch can retire.. but the team still has control over that HC until the contract expires.. So if Sean Payton wants to come back next year and coach for another team.. the Saints can say.. nope and there is nothing Sean payton or the other team can do.. Sean Payton is under contract and its up to the saints to decide if they want to trade him to another team or not.. The power is with the Saints.. thats how it works
I guarantee Sean Payton will be coaching another team before his contract expires. Sean Payton has the power and has welled it. The Saints aren’t going to hire a Head coach for 1 year and then give Sean Payton his job back.
Aint gonna happen.

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The saints have his contract, so they could demand draft choices in that time if he goes to another team. And how do you know he’s not just burned out and wants to pursue broadcasting opportunities?

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

They could do that but they won’t. They’ll have moved on with their new HC and will want the draft picks they could get. Like when Gruden went from Tampa Bay to Oakland.

Last edited: