CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Do you know what a fantasy football league awards points for on defense?

Points against (the lower the better), sacks, interceptions, and fumble recoveries. Those are real things. It's just one set of statistics.
Did you know that the Colts defense under Eberflus consistently ranked in the top 10 in takeaways?

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What's dumb is thinking simply checking boxes on some biased scheme questionnaire is all that matters. I have no idea what the new Bears offense will look like (and neither do you).

He's literally Black Rainbow but for the entire team ??‍♂️

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Why do his only mentors have to be people he worked for and a HC?

Most successful people have Mentors at varying levels, in different industries, with different connections.

Listen - I can't say one way or the other if Eberflus will be successful but you're digging your heels in on a very stupid issue
How many times have you heard a HOF speech and a guy rattles off a bunch of other HOF people that influenced them? All the time! I absolutely think who you learn from is critical. Any successful business person too will say the same thing.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The thing I like about Eberflus is that he's proven to be adaptable as a coach.

He was the only coach hired by Josh McDaniels who stuck all 4 years with Frank Reich. His defenses were decent every year. As someone said earlier, there's a lot of comps to Lovie Smith, but I wouldn't assume we're going back to the Tampa 2.

Mike Kafka is out of contract with the Chiefs and there's a lot of speculation that he'll come over in some capacity. He was the QB coach and passing game coordinator there, and there's an obvious connection with Poles. Kafka was a QB for Northwestern and a grad assistant before being hired by KC so he has ties to the area.
Bring him in as QB coach since the Bears don't need to give him a higher position and then bring in an OC. Kafka can learn the offense and, if the OC becomes the HC for another team, Kafka will have the experience in the offense to become the OC.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Are you under some impression that Matt Eberflus has zero idea of what he wants to see on offense? Do you think that he, as HC of the team, will just ignore one side of the ball?
How involved was Lovie on the offense?

If I recall, Lovie always said "we get off the bus running" and then he would be ignored by the OC who mostly passed.

I hope Eberflus takes more ownership of the whole team than Lovie did.

Dpaw

Liked Posts:
This is going to be a disaster. Can't wait for the middle of the field to be wide open again with that vaunted Cover 2 scheme, and for Jaylon Johnson's skill set to be completely neutered when he's asked to drop back into a zone and play 5 yards off his receiver.

Can't wait for Justin Fields to experience what it's like to have a new offensive coordinator every year, either because the guy sucked or was very good and got hired by another team to be their HC.

The Bears will be right back here in 2 or 3 years looking for another coach, perhaps with a quarterback who's damaged goods by then, too.
Sounds like he’s really good at playing to his players strengths rather than shoving his system down their throats soooo maybe let’s see what happens???

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
LOL, Bears gonna Bears.

bearsb_logo.gif
Bears hire HC Matt Eberflus: F Grade
When Matt Eberflus was presiding over a defense that had no answer for Trevor Lawrence in the must-win season finale, the thought, "Wow, this guy will make a great head coach" never popped into my head. The Colts generated a conference-best 33 turnovers in 2021, but they feasted on lots of bad competition. They always came up short in big games, and they struggled to put pressure on the quarterback despite spending a first-round pick on a defensive end.

Eberflus didn't seem like the best candidate at all, or even a viable candidate. He also coaches the wrong side of the ball. Chicago needed to hire an offensive mastermind to help develop Justin Fields. Eberflus could always get a brilliant offensive coordinator, but if Fields makes great strides, that offensive coordinator will be snatched up by another team very quickly to be their head coach, and Fields will have to learn from someone else in a short time frame. That's why the Bears needed to hire an offensive head coach.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
and year 3 he is learning a new system.. so 3 systems in 3 years seems like a foolish idea dont you think?
That's not how it works. The system generally stays in place. Someone usually gets promoted from within.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I am cautiously optimistic.

I don't know enough about him to feel comfortable enough past the idea that someone brand new offers a lot of hope. What I am not going to do is make assumptions about the guy based what I've already wanted to think.

I also don't think everything has to be black and white, and I see that happening a ton in this thread.
I mean I’m glad he’s not Nagy. Being honest I see nothing that screams huge success though. He doesn’t look like a bust to me. He looks like a good coach. But I wanted a great coach.

Anyways that’s my initial reaction. Good chance it’s wrong. Feel free to bump in 3 years.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
IMO...There is one predictor of success that is superior to any other and it applies to any field. Has the person demonstrated success in the jobs they've had and have the various jobs they've had come with increasing responsibility?

GTFOH with logic!

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
LOL, Bears gonna Bears.

bearsb_logo.gif
Bears hire HC Matt Eberflus: F Grade
When Matt Eberflus was presiding over a defense that had no answer for Trevor Lawrence in the must-win season finale, the thought, "Wow, this guy will make a great head coach" never popped into my head. The Colts generated a conference-best 33 turnovers in 2021, but they feasted on lots of bad competition. They always came up short in big games, and they struggled to put pressure on the quarterback despite spending a first-round pick on a defensive end.

Eberflus didn't seem like the best candidate at all, or even a viable candidate. He also coaches the wrong side of the ball. Chicago needed to hire an offensive mastermind to help develop Justin Fields. Eberflus could always get a brilliant offensive coordinator, but if Fields makes great strides, that offensive coordinator will be snatched up by another team very quickly to be their head coach, and Fields will have to learn from someone else in a short time frame. That's why the Bears needed to hire an offensive head coach.
Hard to argue with this. I’d give it a C grade myself.