Matt Eberflus hired as Bears head coach

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I'm as low on the Bears' brass being able to find guys who can do the job as anyone but you're just being angry to be angry it seems. What we gave up to get Fields has nothing to do with anything. What's done is done, now you move on. But do you not think the Bears know that they traded a 1st this year for Fields last year? Do you think they would have let lame-duck Pace do that if they didn't think highly of Fields? So there's just no way that Fields didn't factor into whatever coach they hire.

Beyond that, defensive coaches know a thing or two about offense otherwise they wouldn't be good defensive coaches. Beyond that, in a head coach you're looking for a motivator and a shot caller, not a micro-manager. You can bet your ass that Eberflus had good answers for what to do with Fields (at least in management's and Poles' opinion) which helps to explain why he was hired even if he's a former defensive coordinator.

I don't see what the Bears did to specifically minimize Fields other than have a shitty coach who was subsequently fired due in part to not being able to play to Fields' (and Trubisky's) strengths in designing an offense to his team. We're hiring a new guy specifically because the old guy proved he didn't know what he was doing.
Agreed.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Loafing when you make a minimum of like 500k, but more than likely you make 1M or more per year, to play a game, is unacceptable.

Would be nice if our new HC truly attacked this problem.

If you watch the Bears post game shows, they almost always have examples of big plays by the Bears opponents where they exploit Bears players who loaf, often for TDs.

You hear Briggs and Alex Brown say "Just, DO. YOUR. JOB." and the guys on defense (EJax notably) don't do their jobs.

Briggs and Brown did enough of their own loafing, they know it when they see it.

QFT

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
BTW - Eberflus was hired by Josh McDaniels before he left them

Harold is the MAN @Mighty Joe Young

I was giving Anycrime shit, but in reality, Harold = DBB. Different sides of the same coin. Only difference is Harold is a bitch who hates on a guy who's doing the same shit Harold is doing (and if you check the time stamps, has scooped Harold too). So being a fellow bitch, I can see why Anycrime would like him. :ROFLMAO:

Well that, and it was cringe as shit Harold sucking up to Wiederer....

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

For those that think Cover 2 is outdated. Of course, like anything a good QB or O will eventually figure things out which is why you have to continually adjust. Will be interesting to see if Eberflus tries to incorporate some of the coverages and disguises that Fangio is famous for.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
if this is the case then why didnt Nagy work? He worked under Reid. Probably considered the best offensive coach in the league. Has been for years. Why wasn’t Nagy a success? He had a great mentor.

What you’re arguing is complete nonsense. Why don’t teams just hire coordinators who come from great coaches? Why do pretty much all of Belichick assistants fail? They’re working under the greatest coach/mentor ever.

I have no clue if Eberflus will work out. I just know what you’re arguing is ridiculously stupid.
Great post, you nailed it and him.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The vaunted Eberflus defense ranked 29th in points allowed in the 4th quarter. Never ranked above 18th in 3rd down conversion. What a hire.

That's not how the world works though. (Belichick's last stint as DC saw his unit ranked 21st overall before NE hired him as HC).

I am not down on Eberflus for that nor would I be excited if he had the 1st ranked defense in IND. Stats have a weird way of shaking out.

If he is a legitimate football coach, it will come out and be unmistakeable.

I am however cautiously pessimistic because even IF he is legit, he could be prone to influence from up above by people in Halas Hall that have obviously meddled in football while claiming "never to meddle".

Rise

Liked Posts:
That's not how the world works though. (Belichick's last stint as DC saw his unit ranked 21st overall before NE hired him as HC).

I am not down on Eberflus for that nor would I be excited if he had the 1st ranked defense in IND. Stats have a weird way of shaking out.

If he is a legitimate football coach, it will come out and be unmistakeable.

I am however cautiously pessimistic because even IF he is legit, he could be prone to influence from up above by people in Halas Hall that have obviously meddled in football while claiming "never to meddle".

Don’t compare this middle management bum to the goat.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Don’t compare this middle management bum to the goat.

I should have known.

I compare your take that 1 (or more) down years at DC does not project to the success percentage of a HC.

That's not how the world works.

I am revealing to you that, by your logic, NE should have never hired the GOAT.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Wait. I saw something about the Chiefs getting comp picks for Poles? Are there really comp picks rewarded for losing minority coaches or something like that?
Duh - Yes, I did a thread on it several days ago and there's a lot of info in it. You can catch up.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
I was giving Anycrime shit, but in reality, Harold = DBB. Different sides of the same coin. Only difference is Harold is a bitch who hates on a guy who's doing the same shit Harold is doing (and if you check the time stamps, has scooped Harold too). So being a fellow bitch, I can see why Anycrime would like him. :ROFLMAO:

Well that, and it was cringe as shit Harold sucking up to Wiederer....
Gold. It's like the gift that keeps on giving.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Hoge and Jahns emergency podcast on the hire:

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I would've preferred an offensive guy, but I get John Harbaugh vibes from Eberflus, so hopefully the results look similar here.

And something that's promising about DCs that become good HCs is that they seem to put more emphasis on the O Line being dominant and physical. Belichick, Harbaugh, Vrabel, McDermott, etc., all put together good lines and want to run the other team over and out of the building.
good points.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
It is after 5:30PM... Still no official announcement on chicagobears.com, twitter, etc.

Yes, I know the formal contract needs to be signed but nothing official or acknowledgement from the Bears??

Rise

Liked Posts:
I should have known.

I compare your take that 1 (or more) down years at DC does not project to the success percentage of a HC.

That's not how the world works.

I am revealing to you that, by your logic, NE should have never hired the GOAT.

No it’s just a stupid comparison, please look over their resumes. Plus NE was his 2nd chance, for a reason. To think that Eberflus is even close to the prospect that Belichick was is ridiculous.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Doesn’t it look more like Quinn was Bears-or-bust, and that once they hired Eberflus, he took his name out of consideration for other jobs?

That’s what would seem to be indicated by him getting a second interview this week and only pulling out **after** Eberflus got the Bears job.
Agreed.

Rise

Liked Posts:
It is after 5:30PM... Still no official announcement on chicagobears.com, twitter, etc.

Yes, I know the formal contract needs to be signed but nothing official or acknowledgement from the Bears??

That’s because sweaty teddy has to squeeze every nickle out of the contract. This is undoubtedly the cheapest hire they could have made, will probably be the lowest paid coach from this cycle.