Matt Eberflus hired as Bears head coach

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Any word of you “wanting Fields to succeed “ will be taking with a grain of salt. You did nothing but attack him all season so sorry if I am skeptical. Again OCs leaving don’t generally hurt QBs
Me pointing out he did not play well and Jones did is not attacking him. its just pointing out the obvious.
I want the Bears to have a great QB, so my opinion that Pace fucked up and drafted the wrong one does not mean I hate Fields, nor does it mean that I hope I'm wrong and fields turns into a great QB..

Besides the point that I'm literally arguing for in this thread is for a better situation for fields so he can succeed. The fact you took that as me hating on fields just means you might actually be Special person.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
But again, as has been my point this entire time, Eberflus hasn't even hired his first OC and people are worried about his next one.
That’s fair. I’m content to see how it turns out. I don’t see this ending well, but I’d love to be wrong.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Me pointing out he did not play well and Jones did is not attacking him. its just pointing out the obvious.
I want the Bears to have a great QB, so my opinion that Pace fucked up and drafted the wrong one does not mean I hate Fields, nor does it mean that I hope I'm wrong and fields turns into a great QB..

Besides the point that I'm literally arguing for in this thread is for a better situation for fields so he can succeed. The fact you took that as me hating on fields just means you might actually be Special person.
So you REALLY hate Fields

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It doesn’t have to just be a KC guy. It could be anybody in the NFL who wasn’t on the original list of 9. No new names were brought in though.

A couple of you have even been saying they were asking GM candidates during interviews who they liked as potential HC candidates and they explored those options. If that’s the case then why were no new names brought in to interview? Out of all the GM candidates they interviewed all of them just happened to be perfectly in step with the list the Bears ownership had already come up with? That’s ridiculously naive to believe and doesn’t make any sense.
Hoge and Jahns said during their Podcast yesterday that Eberflus had two interviews with the Bears before Poles had one. It sure sounds like Poles was given full autonomy…..on a list of finalists pre-approved by ownership.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Here is what I do know, the Vikings very much wanted Poles as their GM, I’m sure they would let him have his preferred coach. So why wasn’t Eberflus brought into their building?

Again the Bears scheduled a 2nd interview with Eberflus before even interviewing Poles one time. I’m supposed to believe this was Poles letting them know via back channels but he didn’t tell the Vikings the same thing? That’s a huge stretch.

No the more logical conclusion is that the committee picked a top 3, and let Poles choose from that group.

How are sure aside from because you said so?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Hoge and Jahns said during their Podcast yesterday that Eberflus had two interviews with the Bears before Poles had one. It sure sounds like Poles was given full autonomy…..on a list of finalists pre-approved by ownership.
So Eberflus had a secret interview that wasn't disclosed?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No I am asking of examples of a QB that was successfully developed by an OC for a D minded head coach falling apart once that OC got a HC job.

For example, when Brady lost his OC as a young QB, he got better with a new OC despite Bellichek being a defensive HC.

Or for example when Russ lost his first OC, he got better with other OCs under a D minded HC in Carrol.

@dbldrew

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I love how @dbldrew thinks an offensive HC "guarantees" consistently great offense... as if Nagy didn't just completely disprove that during his time here. ?‍♂️
I never said that, I said that if you have a great OC he is going to leave for a HC job.. BUT if that great OC is actually your HC then you are GUARENTEED TO KEEP HIM how is this so hard for people to understand?

You realize that Nagy completely proves my point correct? How much did KC get hurt when we took their OC (nagy)? Not at all.. why because the real offense genius is still there.. that the system I want here for the Bears.. its really not complicated people

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I never said that, I said that if you have a great OC he is going to leave for a HC job.. BUT if that great OC is actually your HC then you are GUARENTEED TO KEEP HIM how is this so hard for people to understand?
But that has been disproven repeatedly. @dbldrew you just don't understand the role of a HC.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
what? the SB winners have all been great QBs what are you talking about?
Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson want a moment for rebuttal and Joe Flacco would like to but in his 2 cents worth.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I know all coaches want to move up. but the most important position in football is the QB.. and I think that having an offensive minded HC that installs his system is the best situation because it guarantees consistency with the most important position. If your OC gets plucked nothing much changes.. just like in KC for example. Do you think it would be in Mahomes best interest if hypothetically Ried was the OC instead of the HC and he got plucked to be the HC from another team? Now Mahomes is a great QB so im not saying he would go from greatness to bust.. but would it be best for him to not have Andy Reid there?

Great OC are going to get plucked.. there is no way to stop it.. unless you make them the HC.

For some reason people are thinking i'm making some proclamation on what will happen... I'm not.. All I'm saying is I like the philosophy of guaranteeing your great OC can never get plucked because he is actually the HC. And the reasoning behind it is because this is a QB driven league that the rules favor the offense so thats why I want that position protected..
But you aren’t seeing the upside to having a O.C that is not the head of his team and play caller. Like we’ve said. If in 3 years the O.C. Is “plucked” it mean he has done a great job ……meaning the quarterback is far along and is comfortable in running an offense. The head coach hires another like minded O.C. because he smart enough to realize it pays to keep running an offense the QB is familiar with….and the H.C. has performed his duties…which is the Overseer of the whole team. It makes more sense this way. Especially with a brand new quarterback. The head coach doesn’t need to be bogged down with 1 player he needs to be on top of everything.

Last edited:

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Remy it's my opinion that having an offensive HC exactly like KC has would be ideal.. I literally gave you the example that I'm basing my opinion on with Nagy
Most people would probably opt for the defensive minded Bill Belichick defensive coach. His resume speaks for itself.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Most people would probably opt for the defensive minded Bill Belichick defensive coach. His resume speaks for itself.
Or Carroll, Tomlin, Harbaugh(ST). TBD McDermott/Vrabel/Staley

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Kinda funny that the guy that came up in the K.C. Organization didn’t pick and offensive minded coach to be the top dog. Nor did he give Bienemy a call. Maybe he knows something.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Remy it's my opinion that having an offensive HC exactly like KC has would be ideal.. I literally gave you the example that I'm basing my opinion on with Nagy

That is not the question. You are claiming that a QB playing for a D minded HC would be ruined if his OC left.

So again I am asking you to name the QBs where this happened.

Again, Bellichek has OCs leave and his QB and O where fine. So has Carroll. So has Tomlin. So has Harbaugh. So I have given you examples that show an OC leaving a D or ST minded HC and it being fine. So there is currently no evidence presented that shows this is an issue for a coach of any persuasion.

Last edited:

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never said that, I said that if you have a great OC he is going to leave for a HC job.. BUT if that great OC is actually your HC then you are GUARENTEED TO KEEP HIM how is this so hard for people to understand? You realize that Nagy completely proves my point correct? How much did KC get hurt when we took their OC (nagy)? Not at all.. why because the real offense genius is still there.. that the system I want here for the Bears.. its really not complicated people

Apologies for paraphrasing your shitty hot take.

I understand your argument fine, I just think it's a dumb hill to choose to die on.

Oh boo-hoo, someone might want to poach our OC if the offense has a good year or two.... What a terrible problem to have, how ever will the franchise possibly recover?!?! Fuck outta here.

Hiring an "offensive guru" as HC isn't some guaranteed cheat code for sustained offensive success. Nagy literally just showed you first hand how it isn't.

In fact I'll argue it's potentially worse. Especially when you get another egomaniac like Nagy that wants to prove he's the smartest guy in the room by passing the ball 60 times a game and is stubbornly married to his "scheme" and would rather get fired than deviate from his precious scheme.

At least with Eberflus he won't be married to a offensive scheme and should be more willing to play complimentary football (i.e. - actually utilize David Montgomery) and adapt and change coarse if things aren't working.

Bottom line is your complaining about an insignificant problem that's actually a good problem to have. If the Bears are getting poached it means Field and the offense just had a great year. Awesome, I'll gladly take that problem.

If Eberflus is smart he'll have hired other coaches on offense that have been preparing themselves to take over the OC role should the current OC get poached. You then promote from within and they continue running the same scheme they ran last year with the new guy adding his own wrinkles to it.

It's hardly the end of the world situation you're trying to make it out as.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The timeline on this makes no sense.

They already had a list of coaching candidates before they interviewed GM candidates. That list never changed. Eberflus was on that list before they even talked to Poles. This was all happening simultaneously. And who were the other GM candidates coaching choices? Who was added because a GM candidate gave them a new name? What are you talking about? The ownership clearly made this decision. I dont know why you’re arguing as if this isn’t all on a freaking timeline or as if what you’re saying makes any sense based off what we know.
Probably because the Bears picked up the phone and spoke with Poles well before the first official interview took place