Matt Mervis Stans only

Bearsy555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Matt Mervis is making a joke of the pitching in the AFL.

If not Mervis, who should be the Cubs opening day starter at 1st?

Castor76

Liked Posts:

Is a reincarnated Lou Gehrig available? No? Maybe Josh Bell to mostly be the DH.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

You started a new thread to post something you already posted in the prospect thread?

Castor76

Liked Posts:
You started a new thread to post something you already posted in the prospect thread?

And this is the same guy who triple posted an article about how the Cubs would regret letting Rizzo go. Very strange indeed. I'm trying to figure out how the Cubs are going to regret letting Rizzo go yet having Mervis is going to be such a great boon.

Bearsy555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And this is the same guy who triple posted an article about how the Cubs would regret letting Rizzo go. Very strange indeed. I'm trying to figure out how the Cubs are going to regret letting Rizzo go yet having Mervis is going to be such a great boon.
Regret letting him go in terms of that he is probably the most likable Cubs player of all time and the fact that the Cubs have had a bag of rocks at 1st base since he left. calm down junior. I hope Mervis can be the answer, I agree with letting Rizzo go it's just hard to see him still producing while the Cubs struggle to find a consistent answer at 1st

Bearsy555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My bad I just thought it was relevant since he is in fact a Cubs prospect. I'll make sure to run everything by you before I do anything don't wanna piss off TL1961 goodness what would we do?

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Regret letting him go in terms of that he is probably the most likable Cubs player of all time and the fact that the Cubs have had a bag of rocks at 1st base since he left. calm down junior. I hope Mervis can be the answer, I agree with letting Rizzo go it's just hard to see him still producing while the Cubs struggle to find a consistent answer at 1st

Bitch, you ain't my daddy so don't act like it unless you want me to treat you like him. While Rizzo was quite likable, Banks and Ryno might differ with you respectfully about that all time claim. And don't ever come at me with that weak ass "still producing" shit when the last time Rizzo hit above .250 or had and OBP above .350 was 2019. The only thing his did this past season of any kind of note was hit some home runs, and The Cubs have had to deal with not having him all of a season and a half. Stop acting like it been as long as the Bears have waited to have a legit starting QB. He can be your all-time fave and that's fine, but don't act like he's a lock for Cooperstown and has been mashing since getting out of Chicago.

Bearsy555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bitch, you ain't my daddy so don't act like it unless you want me to treat you like him. While Rizzo was quite likable, Banks and Ryno might differ with you respectfully about that all time claim. And don't ever come at me with that weak ass "still producing" shit when the last time Rizzo hit above .250 or had and OBP above .350 was 2019. The only thing his did this past season of any kind of note was hit some home runs, and The Cubs have had to deal with not having him all of a season and a half. Stop acting like it been as long as the Bears have waited to have a legit starting QB. He can be your all-time fave and that's fine, but don't act like he's a lock for Cooperstown and has been mashing since getting out of Chicago.
My bad dude. 32 homers and almost 80 Rbi's with gold glove caliber defense is pretty solid. I shouldn’t have came at you like that I apologize . Of course banks and ryno are fan faves but Rizzo is definitely one of the most liked cubs in recent memory. I also didn’t say he was bound for cooperstown but its whatever. My bad man

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Rizzo should be opting out from his deal. I am not against him resigning on a pillow deal. Cubs could use his leadership post Heyward.

With the DH there is little issue with both guys

Another muse out on the mill is Kramer in CF. Davis yet again with lower back issues. Suzuki injured off and on. The only lock is Happ at this point. Add to it his brother is head grounds keeper at Wrigg and both grew up going to the field.

Not that gives much credibility to any claim. But, players sign for many reasons and management will sign discount deals.

If the Cubs go big it will be at SS. LAD are rumored to be in on Correa. They feel last year was a fluke for a plat glove level talent. Turner is a year older and a lesser defender.

Thus Turner might end up as a guy waiting for a job. Cubs could kick the tires as a lead off with speed is lacking. I don't see the Cubs jumping into the 30-35M AAV range. 22-28 yes. So in theory there could be interest.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Rizzo should be opting out from his deal. I am not against him resigning on a pillow deal. Cubs could use his leadership post Heyward.

With the DH there is little issue with both guys

Another muse out on the mill is Kramer in CF. Davis yet again with lower back issues. Suzuki injured off and on. The only lock is Happ at this point. Add to it his brother is head grounds keeper at Wrigg and both grew up going to the field.

Not that gives much credibility to any claim. But, players sign for many reasons and management will sign discount deals.

If the Cubs go big it will be at SS. LAD are rumored to be in on Correa. They feel last year was a fluke for a plat glove level talent. Turner is a year older and a lesser defender.

Thus Turner might end up as a guy waiting for a job. Cubs could kick the tires as a lead off with speed is lacking. I don't see the Cubs jumping into the 30-35M AAV range. 22-28 yes. So in theory there could be interest.
Turner is going to be the most coveted SS because he's the best of the 4 and he will set the market for the others.

With names try to be close so people can have a clue who you are talking about Kramer=Kiermaier correct?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Turner is going to be the most coveted SS because he's the best of the 4 and he will set the market for the others.

With names try to be close so people can have a clue who you are talking about Kramer=Kiermaier correct?
I dont know about the best. I put Correra over him and going forward but that isnt to say Turner isnt top notch

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Def
Swanson: 21.4
Bogaerts 9.5
Turner 7.1
Correa 2.4

fWAR
Swanson 6.4
Turner 6.3
Bogaerts 6.1
Correa 4.4

Correa Def: Turner Def

2016 -6.7 3.5
2017 2.0 3.6
2018 17.3 11.4
2019 9.7 5.1
2020 5.6 -.6
2021 14.9 6.5
2022 2.0 7.1

So what to make out of it? Turner is there for his speed. D wise he is Baez. 2018 both saw a spike so could be a dead ball thing. 2022 was a outlier for Correa. Park factor? Scouting reports less quality? Could be a bunch of factors.

So I think it is pretty justified saying Correa will get 30-35M. Turner will be lucky to get 30M due to age and speed degrades with age.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
My bad I just thought it was relevant since he is in fact a Cubs prospect. I'll make sure to run everything by you before I do anything don't wanna piss off TL1961 goodness what would we do?
Lighten up, Francis.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Def
Swanson: 21.4
Bogaerts 9.5
Turner 7.1
Correa 2.4

fWAR
Swanson 6.4
Turner 6.3
Bogaerts 6.1
Correa 4.4

Correa Def: Turner Def

2016 -6.7 3.5
2017 2.0 3.6
2018 17.3 11.4
2019 9.7 5.1
2020 5.6 -.6
2021 14.9 6.5
2022 2.0 7.1

So what to make out of it? Turner is there for his speed. D wise he is Baez. 2018 both saw a spike so could be a dead ball thing. 2022 was a outlier for Correa. Park factor? Scouting reports less quality? Could be a bunch of factors.

So I think it is pretty justified saying Correa will get 30-35M. Turner will be lucky to get 30M due to age and speed degrades with age.
Looking at those numbers, I don’t see how you come to the conclusion that Correa gets more $$ than Turner

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Bearsy obviously wrote the article for CCS. Cross posting it into CCS and then arguing with board members is only going to make people click less. If you want to be a writer, you have to have thicker skin and not so easily baited and triggered when people disagree with an article.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looking at those numbers, I don’t see how you come to the conclusion that Correa gets more $$ than Turner
Per year, Correa may get more with shorter term deal due to his health issues of past seasons.

Turner has been pretty solid playing since '18 which could net him a longer contract by a team.

I still prefer Correa just for potential move to third later in career. I see Turner being more a second baseman when SS days dwindle down. But, easily would take either one. Swanson was better than both this year but I still dont trust that guy for some reason.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Per year, Correa may get more with shorter term deal due to his health issues of past seasons.

Turner has been pretty solid playing since '18 which could net him a longer contract by a team.

I still prefer Correa just for potential move to third later in career. I see Turner being more a second baseman when SS days dwindle down. But, easily would take either one. Swanson was better than both this year but I still dont trust that guy for some reason.
Swanson doesn't have near the track record of the other guys. If we end up with him then fine, but he'd be last of the 4 for me.