Matt Mervis Stans only

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would say that the Cubs are unlikely to land any of the top 4. They are not in a winning window yet. Phi has a edge over them in luring any of the SS. LAD is proven to over pay and a constant contender. Boston same thing. They will pay top dollar.

Jed and Tom are 20-25M type buyers. This is a very unlikely thing to change. Every offseason everyone expects the top talent to come in. It never happens. last year IMO was great in getting 2 2nd tier talents. I really see more of this.

Established closer.
BP depth
kick the tires on Rizzo returning.

Bryzzo
Swisdom
Wizzo or Rizdom?

Jed would do a 3/45 on Tony. The 26 per he was not going there. But a deal like that, yep.

That is what I expect. even pitching. I would not be shocked if Jed targets Tyler Anderson. He should get a good deal but at his age he would not have much leverage to go much over 3/60.

Pen arms are deep. So this is a area that Jed targets.

SS? I wouldn't be mad if they did nothing.

Howard & Made AA. Hernandez A.

3B Triantos A+ Hernandez potential move.

So the simple answer might be the best.

Keep plugging holes.
Draft and develop talent.
Don't overspend on a players decline.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ya I know Knox. It would be a major disappointment if this was the case. But the Cubs are in a good place right now system wise and payroll wise.

If they were willing to pay out top dollar then Contreras would have been extended already.

So when the Cubs brass talks more room for spending it doesn't mean top F/A targeted. It more likely means closer signed. Hoerner and Happ extended. Smyly's opt pulled. Rizzo returning. Heyward paid off in full.

With PCA in Tenn next year you have to expect a 4th OF needed. K.K. I can see as a signing. Gives stability and experience to give to Davis and PCA when they arrive.

So is it a champ? No but it would be fundamentally built solid . Not locked into potentially bad deals that prevent later adjusting or adding deals.

So we really have to look at Jed's history with the Cubs and the most likely off-season will be this. Top tier will be pipe dream.

When Jed talks he says building the next Cubs team. He never says buying it.

Add to it they just promoted the hitting coach that was working with the next gen. So they are going core internal. Experience external

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Madrigal 2B
Rizzo 1B
Suzuki RF
Happ LF
Wisdom 3B
Mervis DH
Hoerner SS
Gomes C
Davis CF

It is honestly not a bad team. 2 new faces with fan fav Rizzo making the IF D solid. Add to it his OBA should not degrade with age.

Pitching

Stroman
Steele
Hendricks
Smyly
Wesneski

Thompson and Alzolay in the pen. Heuer returning from TJ. Add a established closer this turns into a solid pen.

So we are looking at a solid team next year that can continue with the 2nd half results. Which were really good.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Ya I know Knox. It would be a major disappointment if this was the case. But the Cubs are in a good place right now system wise and payroll wise.

If they were willing to pay out top dollar then Contreras would have been extended already.

So when the Cubs brass talks more room for spending it doesn't mean top F/A targeted. It more likely means closer signed. Hoerner and Happ extended. Smyly's opt pulled. Rizzo returning. Heyward paid off in full.

With PCA in Tenn next year you have to expect a 4th OF needed. K.K. I can see as a signing. Gives stability and experience to give to Davis and PCA when they arrive.

So is it a champ? No but it would be fundamentally built solid . Not locked into potentially bad deals that prevent later adjusting or adding deals.

So we really have to look at Jed's history with the Cubs and the most likely off-season will be this. Top tier will be pipe dream.

When Jed talks he says building the next Cubs team. He never says buying it.

Add to it they just promoted the hitting coach that was working with the next gen. So they are going core internal. Experience external
The grimace was for your insistence upon bringing Rizzo back. It ain’t happening, nor should it

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
The grimace was for your insistence upon bringing Rizzo back. It ain’t happening, nor should it
It's incredible. He had the cubs going heavy spending last season when nobody thought they would. Now he has them signing nobody (other than past his prime rizzo for nostalgia) when everyone assumes they will spend big. Now I just need him to throw in a shot at cheap Ricketts and call it a day

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's incredible. He had the cubs going heavy spending last season when nobody thought they would. Now he has them signing nobody (other than past his prime rizzo for nostalgia) when everyone assumes they will spend big. Now I just need him to throw in a shot at cheap Ricketts and call it a day
LOL....the guy is comic genius. He proposes resigning Rizzo, then says this.......

"Draft and develop talent.
Don't overspend on a players decline."

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Not a cheap shot. Signing one big name is not making any 70 win team into a 90+. It never happens.

So this is not a dis on Jed or Tom. They have invested into the system and it is starting to produce results that are substantial. The last gen was built off fast to the majors low risk picks. This gen has gone across the board

So if anything the future is looking pretty good for the Cubs.

Now on Rizzo. I did not think of him as old. On the contrary I see him as a leader for the next gen. Mervis has little exposure to pro ball in general. Having Rizzo there let's him ease into the role vs being rushed into it.

I feel the same way with Kreimer. Best D CF over the last ten years molding Davis and PCA

I did say vet leadership and the core via development.

It is far more likely than Jed dumping 30M into one guy.

How many off-season has it been and you guys pipe up on the #1.

Machado, Correa, Harper.

The list goes on.

If anything I'm being level headed. And you guys are delusional Cub fans.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Not a cheap shot. Signing one big name is not making any 70 win team into a 90+. It never happens.

So this is not a dis on Jed or Tom. They have invested into the system and it is starting to produce results that are substantial. The last gen was built off fast to the majors low risk picks. This gen has gone across the board

Now on Rizzo. I did not think of him as old. On the contrary I see him as a leader for the next gen. Mervis has little exposure to pro ball in general. Having Rizzo there let's him ease into the role vs being rushed into it.

I feel the same way with Kreimer. Best D CF over the last ten years molding Davis and PCA

Machado, Correa, Harper.

The list goes on.

DC0182DD-68FF-4ABE-B5EF-598ED8BA4451.jpeg

Castor76

Liked Posts:

Machado, Correa, Harper.

The list goes on.

Question, who was the other big name the Cubs signed in the 2014-15 offseason? They went from a 73 win team to a 97 win team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Question, who was the other big name the Cubs signed in the 2014-15 offseason? They went from a 73 win team to a 97 win team.

Must be Cy Young winner Jake Arretta. That other guy had a solid year.

Jake was the reason why they won as many as they did. The one game vs Pit Jake was on the mound. Not the guy that you were alluding to

2014 had no rookie of the year 3B. 2015 did.

So I could go on but your example sucks. Lester did not make the 2014 Cubs into a winner. Jake and Bryant did.

When Jake and Bryant degraded so did the Cubs.

Lester was never the reason why they were winners. He was a solid pick up but not the best player. Heyward was by far a worse investment.

Another reason why to be hesitant on putting all the eggs in one basket.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You can also say that 2016 was more about Jake in the first half and Kyle having the best ERA IN BASEBALL.

Lester has always been a great 2. But don't make him a icon.

Castor76

Liked Posts:

Jake was the reason why they won as many as they did. The one game vs Pit Jake was on the mound. Not the guy that you were alluding to

So I could go on but your example sucks. Lester did not make the 2014 Cubs into a winner. Jake and Bryant did.

Lester was never the reason why they were winners. He was a solid pick up but not the best player. Heyward was by far a worse investment.

But you specified a signing and I gave you a time a team went from a 70 win team to a 90 win team over the course of two seasons. Jake wasn't a signing, he was traded for and no one expected him to be what he was for those few years.

The only thing that sucks here is your defense of your statement that I asked a question about. But you're used to sucking, so I get it. You're the one who said it never happens. I pointed out that it did for this very team within the past decade. Are you correct in that a lot of other things broke right for the Cubs? You are, but we can't pretend that the other stuff didn't happen just to make you happy.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yea, you are wrong here. Lester changed the franchise and set them on the path to be winners. He was the unquestioned leader of the staff and the vet presence. He was the ultimate competitor and put Cubs on the map of they are coming to compete. That means a ton.

Also, our championship season he was second in CY Young. I think that means they won cause of him.

Baseball is a team sport but Lester is probably the most crucial signing in Cubs history. It was the start of the run.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
So we aren't a 70 win team, that is refusing to acknowledge that the Cubs had the 3rd best record in the second half and also 2nd in pitching in the NL. It is time to spend on top FA's and start the window now, especially for this off season that has very strong SS class that can play anywhere, and are relatively young.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Is just me, or Mervis need to practice hitting on MLD level. I like his 1st base play but his hitting needs lots of work. When while back, Haap and recently Morell ended up spending some time in Iowa they comeback much improved. Thoughts?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Is just me, or Mervis need to practice hitting on MLD level. I like his 1st base play but his hitting needs lots of work. When while back, Haap and recently Morell ended up spending some time in Iowa they comeback much improved. Thoughts?

I would rather him get 300 PA's vs MLB and focus on adjusting to the pitching. The league is on him right now.

Morel on the other hand is ripping up the league. So at this point just get him at bats after Hoerner returns.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He needs to hit in the majors. He's got nothing more to prove in AAA. They need to find out if he is real or not.....won't find that out at Iowa. Besides, it's as good a time as any....this team as it stands today is not a WS contender and only a playoff contender because of the division they're in. Let him play.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
He needs to hit in the majors. He's got nothing more to prove in AAA. They need to find out if he is real or not.....won't find that out at Iowa. Besides, it's as good a time as any....this team as it stands today is not a WS contender and only a playoff contender because of the division they're in. Let him play.
All true. That said, @CSF77 cursed him by anointing him the next Jimmie Foxx