Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Unfortunately, came across this this morning.

Matt Nagy: ‘I want to use my experiences in Chicago to help me be better’

In his first public comments since his Bears firing, Matt Nagy told Kansas City reporters it was ‘refreshing’ to be the Chiefs’ quarterbacks coach.

Matt Nagy thought about taking a year off after the Bears fired the head coach in January as part of a franchise-wide housecleaning.

But after spending a few weeks on vacation, Nagy decided to use the way his Bears career ended as motivation at his next stop — which, conveniently enough, was the same as his previous one. The Chiefs — for whom Nagy served as offensive coordinator before Ryan Pace named him head coach in 2018 — chose Nagy as their new quarterbacks coach and senior assistant in late February.

A day after the Bears’ 6-11 season ended, chairman George McCaskey, on the advice of consultant Bill Polian, fired both Nagy and Pace. Nagy finished with a 34-31 record in four seasons and was dogged by a popgun offense in his final three seasons.

“I want to use my experiences in Chicago to help me be better here for our team here in Kansas City …” Nagy told Chiefs reporters Thursday in his first public comments since his firing. “There’s a little bit of humility you have to have to do this.”

Particularly when the results were as frustrating as they were in Nagy’s final three seasons, in which his offense never finished above 22nd in points or 24th in yards.

“You have highs and lows and you learn,” Nagy said. “You have so many hats you put on at that time. You learn a lot. You rely on those experiences that you went through. They’re real-life experiences. I didn’t have that when I went into my interview with Chicago. But I had four years worth of real-life experience of a lot of different situations — offense, defense, special teams. How to deal with players. How to deal with media. …

“What it does is it really allows you to grow, but it puts things into perspective. In life, for me, a lot of my failures that I’ve had, I’ve tried to use to best of my ability to make me better.”

Nagy seemed relaxed during an eight-minute press conference, joking that he was responsible for only three or four people in the quarterbacks room — instead of 250 as the head coach.

“It’s exciting for me,” he said. “It’s fun. And it’s refreshing.”

It helps to be able to coach Patrick Mahomes, the former MVP and Super Bowl champ who beat the Bears 26-3 when he faced his former mentor in 2019.

“He’s rare,” Nagy said with a smile. “But then when Kansas City came to Chicago and you gotta look across the sideline and see that dude over there. It’s like, ‘OK, maybe just score 24 instead of like 42.’

“I’m so excited to be in that room with him.”

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Who hasn't lied in a job interview to get a job

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Hope he falls on his face....I'm a little bitter too.

We had a championship level defense and he could not manage to give the team an average level offense...

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I predict Nagy will grow, mature, and get another head-coaching job and do a much better job. I don't think it will necessarily be in the next 3 years, but I think it will happen.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I predict Nagy will grow, mature, and get another head-coaching job and do a much better job. I don't think it will necessarily be in the next 3 years, but I think it will happen.
I said the same thing with Adam Gase.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Does KC have any swampland?

Granada

Liked Posts:
He said all the right things. He’s not wrong about any of it. The fact is he wasn’t ready to be HC. I don’t blame him, I blame the ones who hired him.
I agree. I don't have as much hate for Nagy as some do; the guy sucked and I'm glad he's out, but I don't hate him. That said, you see the same Nagy-ism crap he has always spouted in that article -- which is ironic because he's talking about how much he's changed. "Humbled," "Learning experience," "rare" (could have sworn he said the same thing about Fields), "grow," "perspective," -- we've heard this garbage his entire tenure, but what else can he say? I certainly won't miss that, and even though he's saying what he needs to say, he certainly sounds like the same ol' Nagy, lol.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I predict Nagy will grow, mature, and get another head-coaching job and do a much better job.
I don't see it. He doesn't have the coaching talent to be a head coach .He isn't a play caller and he isn't a good coach of fundamentals.

He won't fool anyone else again. He had one of the worst 4 year offensive shows in modern NFL history.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see it. He doesn't have the coaching talent to be a head coach .He isn't a play caller and he isn't a good coach of fundamentals.

He won't fool anyone else again. He had one of the worst 4 year offensive shows in modern NFL history.
These are good points, but I never thought Pete Carroll would get another coaching job after he coached the Jets, or Belichick would get another shot after coaching the Browns either. Time will tell I guess.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Fixed it for ya

I predict Nagy will grow, mature, and get another residential real estate job and do a much better job. I don't think it will necessarily be in the next 3 years, but I think it will happen

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I agree. I don't have as much hate for Nagy as some do; the guy sucked and I'm glad he's out, but I don't hate him. That said, you see the same Nagy-ism crap he has always spouted in that article -- which is ironic because he's talking about how much he's changed. "Humbled," "Learning experience," "rare" (could have sworn he said the same thing about Fields), "grow," "perspective," -- we've heard this garbage his entire tenure, but what else can he say? I certainly won't miss that, and even though he's saying what he needs to say, he certainly sounds like the same ol' Nagy, lol.
Yep

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Nagy should send his "NFL Coach of the Year" award over to Fangio because that guy and his defense are the only reason Nagy was able to hold on as long as he did as a HC. Some franchise may give him another shot out of desperation again in the future, but I have my doubts.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

It helps to be able to coach Patrick Mahomes, the former MVP and Super Bowl champ who beat the Bears 26-3 when he faced his former mentor in 2019.

“He’s rare,” Nagy said with a smile. “But then when Kansas City came to Chicago and you gotta look across the sideline and see that dude over there. It’s like, ‘OK, maybe just score 24 instead of like 42.’”

Hey idiot…your defense did exactly that. But what did you do with it???

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

“He’s rare,” Nagy said with a smile. “But then when Kansas City came to Chicago and you gotta look across the sideline and see that dude over there. It’s like, ‘OK, maybe just score 24 instead of like 42.’”

you okay?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

Worked on the whys???

Reactions: Myk