Meet the Rookies: Cole Kmet | Chicago Bears

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Back up OL? You mean to tell me a second round rookie couldn’t beat out the great Rashaad Coward and future Hall of Famer Germain Ifedi?
You suggested competition for Leno or Massie. What guard was available that blew your mind in the draft at the bears pick? I’ll take a possible impact player any day over the next Kyle Long. I know you’re trolling but do better.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
You suggested competition for Leno or Massie. What guard was available that blew your mind in the draft at the bears pick? I’ll take a possible impact player any day over the next Kyle Long. I know you’re trolling but do better.
Ezra Cleveland was available, Denzel Mimms, Chase Claypool was there, Van Jefferson was there. Most of those guys won’t need to have years to develop. Anyways if you want to continue to white knight for a GM that has 1 play off appearance in Im not sure how many years now be my guest.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bars is a UDFA who has literally never played a snap at the professional level. If you want to hedge your bets on that be my guest. Better you than me. And no, I’m saying if Kmet doesn’t out perform the players picked around him it’s just another dumb pick by Pace. Playing the long game in a closing window is stupid.

Bars appeared in 5 games last year, making his NFL debut in the Week 13 Lions game.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
When your starting RG is a bust who moved there from tackle, and a converted DL I find it hard to believe a 2nd round guard wouldn’t have needed a couple years to overpass that level of competition. And not to mention we don’t have a solidified #2 next to Robinson either. Not to mention you probably could have at least given some competition to Leno or Massie too.

The Bears had so many holes to fill after last year, they couldn't possible cover all their bases. So, they made the conscious decision to bring in cheap replacements. I don't think it was a bad choice, actually. Frankly, I don't think they had ANY choice. Here's what has to happen for the O-line to be AVERAGE now and the future:

1) Leno and Massie return to form - possible
2) Whitehair and Daniels play to their capabilities - probable
3) Between Coward, Ifedi and Bars - one of those will be average at left guard....gonna go with probable on that. That's three legit rolls at the dice.
4) Spriggs can step in for Leno or Massie if one of them falters.
5) Arlington Hambright and Lachovious Simmons - one of them is able to be a contributor a couple of years from now. Not likely. Though, I do find Hambright's measurables intriguing. In the right system, he may do well.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
Bars is a UDFA who has literally never played a snap at the professional level. If you want to hedge your bets on that be my guest. Better you than me. And no, I’m saying if Kmet doesn’t out perform the players picked around him it’s just another dumb pick by Pace. Playing the long game in a closing window is stupid.

Bars played preseason not too far after his knee surgery. I focused in on him. I thought he did well. What worried me most is that he didn't seem like a zone blocking offensive lineman. But with the new O-line coach and, perhaps, the commitment to the running game, he may be a better fit this year. He's a decent player.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Kmet doesn’t become Kyle Rudolph then Pace needs to go.

His work at TE will be as bad as his work at QB.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Rooting for him is going to be real easy as he is a lifelong bears fan! Could you imagine getting that opportunity? I hope he turns out to be great!!!!

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I personally think the way the draft fell with teams selecting a ton of ol and wr’s didn’t leave many impact players at those positions.

I wasn’t psyched about this pick at the time but I hope I’m wrong! Kmet will befun to root for as a bears fan in my opinion but I just don’t think te is the best value Pick where the bears drafted him. Again, I hope I’m wrong and he turns out to be a stud but so many teams get great players at TE at the middle to end of drafts. Kittle?

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Well that's obviously not true. We saw a lot of Bars in the preseason last year and he was active at the end of the year.

In any case, it doesn't matter that you haven't seen him play. It matters what the coaches have seen. That's how development works. New England tried to sign him away for a reason. It's not like he's a nothing prospect. Like I said, he was regarded as a mid-round pick before his injury.

Considering what went wrong on offense last year, the logic of why the Bears doubled down on TE in FA and then the draft makes sense.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears had so many holes to fill after last year, they couldn't possible cover all their bases. So, they made the conscious decision to bring in cheap replacements. I don't think it was a bad choice, actually. Frankly, I don't think they had ANY choice.

This is the logical conclusion some here seem to be ignoring. Given limitations of draft picks and cap space, Pace had to prioritize resources.

There's fair criticism to make of Pace in that, but his moves have been consistent and logical. He had a plan and went all in when he felt he had a winning roster in place, but the regression of Trubisky (and by extension the offense) last year threw a wrench in the gears.

While the roster certainly has question marks, I don't think the Bears are the dumpster fire some make them out to be.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Well that's obviously not true. We saw a lot of Bars in the preseason last year and he was active at the end of the year.

In any case, it doesn't matter that you haven't seen him play. It matters what the coaches have seen. That's how development works. New England tried to sign him away for a reason. It's not like he's a nothing prospect. Like I said, he was regarded as a mid-round pick before his injury.

Considering what went wrong on offense last year, the logic of why the Bears doubled down on TE in FA and then the draft makes sense.
I wasn’t counting pre season since it wasn’t against starting level competition but technically yes you are right he has played snaps at the professional level. I understand the need at the TE as well but we also have other big needs at the other positions on offense as well, and they wouldn’t need as much time to develop unfortunately. We could have taken one in the later rounds as well.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wasn’t counting pre season since it wasn’t against starting level competition but technically yes you are right he has played snaps at the professional level. I understand the need at the TE as well but we also have other big needs at the other positions on offense as well, and they wouldn’t need as much time to develop unfortunately. We could have taken one in the later rounds as well.

Why exactly would other rookies develop faster than Kmet? You keep saying that as if he's somehow behind the curve strictly because of his position.

All indications are that he's been mature and professional in the offseason program. He's a multi-sport athlete used to seasonal transition. He's physical enough to play the position inline. He's athletic enough to make plays with the ball. Even if he has a modest rookie season in terms of catches, that's a massive upgrade to 2019.

On the other hand, OL is probably sitting without offseason reps to work into the lineup. WR isn't passing Miller so at best #3 and possibly inactive if they don't play special teams.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Why exactly would other rookies develop faster than Kmet? You keep saying that as if he's somehow behind the curve strictly because of his position.

All indications are that he's been mature and professional in the offseason program. He's a multi-sport athlete used to seasonal transition. He's physical enough to play the position inline. He's athletic enough to make plays with the ball. Even if he has a modest rookie season in terms of catches, that's a massive upgrade to 2019.

On the other hand, OL is probably sitting without offseason reps to work into the lineup. WR isn't passing Miller so at best #3 and possibly inactive if they don't play special teams.
I am saying that 100% because of the position he plays. It’s just the norm for TEs to develop slowly. There’s a huge learning curve between a college TE and a professional TE. Even the best go through this learning curve. Like I said it’s not a knock on Kmet as an individual just didn’t like taking a TE that high because of the learning curve.