Mel Kiper doesn't think Bears can trade out of the top pick

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
He's hearing what teams want him to hear.

This. Exactly this. Fanbases want to convince themselves the Bears will stand pat and make a selection at #1. Both the Texans and Colts would prefer us to. No one wants to give a boatload of draft picks up, as there is always going to be a risk of getting a bust, not matter what QB you decide.

But at the end of the day there is going to be demand for our #1 pick. There may not be as much demand as we originally hoped, but some team is going to want a QB and will be willing to pay "something" to get first priority.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I could see saying "Fuck it, we will get one QB out of Stroud, Levis or Young if I am the Texans. So they may choose to stand pat. But those teams that fall in love with a QB and aren't in position one or two will have to make the trade.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Stroud will be a monster in the underwear Olympics.

All he has to do is make 2 teams fall in love with him for us to get paid. Even one paranoid mother fucker like Pace will do.
If you got underwear pics, you could prolly sell em to taint rainbow for a nice haul

Speaking of Pace…falcons could use a QB unless they get lucky with the QB carousel

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Nothing heats up until after the combine and teams have crunched tape.

If it comes down to it and the Bears have to take a package closer to the 2nd or 3rd overall I would still do it. The phone will ring plenty before draft day comes and Bears will still have plenty of opportunities.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
C'mon. It is all about him making just a few mock drafts. If he has to play the trade down game, he has to come up with a copious amount of mock drafts EVERY TIME he does a mock draft. He is trying to save himself a shit ton of work.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
If we recoup the value of the Claypool second, and still land Anderson or Carter…I’m happy.
Yep, if the Texans give up 2 & 33, I'm psyched. You lose absolutely nothing and gain a top 33 player along with the guy you wanted all along.

Texans do it because they ensure they get the cream of the crop, they still have their 2 first round picks, meanwhile their rival Ballard is punching air.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think Anderson is the best player in the draft. If we don't move and draft him, I'm fine with it. The issue is that we need a volume of picks to replenish talent on this team. The rebuild will take longer if we don't get more draft picks.

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Well that bodes well, this is the time of year where misinformation starts to make the rounds. If your team is completely desperate to move up for a qb, other than Indy saying they would, why wouldn't you try to drive down the cost.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Between Will Anderson Jr. and the three quarterbacks somebody is going to have a monster workout, crush interviews and catapult to slam-dunk first overall status. For all the consternation about 2023 being a worse year than 2022 for wide receivers, overall this is a vastly better draft for top line talent and to be picking first overall.

The question is really going to be whether the Bears can pass up on Will Anderson Jr. if he crushes workouts and elevates himself to a Myles Garrett level cant-miss prospect.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd be very disappointed if they stayed at #1 and took Carter. I'd hate to stay and take Anderson at #1 but he is the best player in the draft. I'd prefer moving to #2 to get additional picks, and then take Anderson there. Moving to #2 and/or #4 and getting Anders would be a dream come true, but pretty unlikely. I MIGHT be okay with #2 and then #4 for Carter IF we got significant picks and Carter was indeed a stud.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Nothing heats up until after the combine and teams have crunched tape.

If it comes down to it and the Bears have to take a package closer to the 2nd or 3rd overall I would still do it. The phone will ring plenty before draft day comes and Bears will still have plenty of opportunities.
To be fair there are years like 2020, 2012, even 2021 where its basically settled by this in the year who is going number one overall and a team would have to be crazy not to take that player. This isn't Joe Burrow or Andrew Luck becoming available, but its also not a year where Eric Fisher or Travon Walker will be going first overall due to lack of better options.

That said Kiper Jr. could eventually be correct. None of these guys are so outstanding right now that you do whatever it takes to get them. Workouts could change that.

mecha

Liked Posts:
1) people have been saying every single draft for about the last 13 years have been the worst for quarterbacks; if that were the case there would be no good quarterbacks in the league.
1a) also the strength of schedule doesn't mean much because teams trend up/down year by year, so stop with the "omg this is going to be the hardest schedule ever!!!111" nonsense.
2) Kiper will just say shit for proverbial clicks. he has you all talking about it, doesn't he?
3) we don't really know how the draft is going to play out until it happens. but please, keep wasting your time making mock drafts, it's not like the order the draft is slated to happen will actually happen due to these trade scenarios you've been talking about for what already seems like an eternity.
4) Mac Jones sucks, but Brock Purdy looks pretty good. I've been saying for several years now you can draft quarterbacks outside the 1st round.

continue to be nerds

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
If the draft was tonight, I'd be worried. But since it's not for another 3 months, I'm not going to worry today about whether the Bears get a suitable trade down partner or not.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Oh thank god. Mel Kiper has spoken. I was beginning to worry…

He’s never been wrong before. Better take his word to the bank.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
They are going to trade down. It doesn't make any sense that teams aren't in love with the QBs, yet he has 4 going in the top 9 of his mock draft. They don't love anyone individually yet, because they haven't even met, interviewed or worked them out yet. But teams will certainly have preferences and those preferences will lead to a trade up. The Bears don't even need to rape a team. Just recoup an early 2nd and a 2024 early pick and it's a good trade.