Mel Kiper doesn't think Bears can trade out of the top pick

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
On ESPN today he was saying that what he was hearing was that teams were not in love with Young, Straud and Levis and while they will be drafted high, teams might not throw in the farm to get them. And if the Bears do not get substantial compensation to move down, they will stay put at 1.

He has the Bears taking Carter at 1. Has Straud going 2 to the Texans and Young going 4 to the Colts.

This scenario would suck ass for us.
I promise you OP the following cynicism is not directed at you; you're just delivering the message you saw on ESPN, and thank you! With that said, it's unlikely that teams will be sharing their draft plans with Mel Kiper even if he is a self-proclaimed draft expert. I pay no attention to him (or any ther mock draft analyst) as they are usually 100 percent wrong, sometimes embarrassingly so. Nobody has a friggin' clue what the Bears are planning except for the people in Halas Hall.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
What if we gave the Colts our first round pick next year? You think they'd trade with us to get #4?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He can do it in the same interview segment.

On ESPN today he was saying that what he was hearing was that teams were not in love with Young, Straud and Levis and while they will be drafted high, teams might not throw in the farm to get them. And if the Bears do not get substantial compensation to move down, they will stay put at 1.

He has the Bears taking Carter at 1. Has Straud going 2 to the Texans and Young going 4 to the Colts.

This scenario would suck ass for us.

It's simple. If the Colts want to assure that they get Young, they need to trade to #1.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I promise you OP the following cynicism is not directed at you; you're just delivering the message you saw on ESPN, and thank you! With that said, it's unlikely that teams will be sharing their draft plans with Mel Kiper even if he is a self-proclaimed draft expert. I pay no attention to him (or any ther mock draft analyst) as they are usually 100 percent wrong, sometimes embarrassingly so. Nobody has a friggin' clue what the Bears are planning except for the people in Halas Hall.
To use the phrase (accurately) we heard throughout the administration of TFG, Mel is a "useful idiot" to NFL teams wanting to spread falsehoods.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To use the phrase (accurately) we heard throughout the administration of TFG, Mel is a "useful idiot" to NFL teams wanting to spread falsehoods.
Shit will get real once you hear the phrase, "Welcome to the 2023 NFL Draft!! The Chicago Bears are now on the clock." If you see the Goodell approach the Mic, probably about 7-8 minutes into the timer, you'll know that the Bears made a trade. If you see a Bears rep approach the stage with like 30 seconds left, you'll know the Bears kept the pick. Either way, you know that some of those same allegedly aloof teams were working those phones like crazy.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Shit will get real once you hear the phrase, "Welcome to the 2023 NFL Draft!! The Chicago Bears are now on the clock." If you see the Goodell approach the Mic, probably about 7-8 minutes into the timer, you'll know that the Bears made a trade. If you see a Bears rep approach the stage with like 30 seconds left, you'll know the Bears kept the pick. Either way, you know that some of those same allegedly aloof teams were working those phones like crazy.
If the Bears still have the #1 pick on draft day they failed.......and nobody will be suddenly calling during that 10 minute window to make a trade when they've had 3+ months

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seattle resigns Smith to a long term contract
Indy trades for Aaron rodgers.

then shit gets real

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seattle resigns Smith to a long term contract
Indy trades for Aaron rodgers.

then shit gets real
You forgot Houston or Carolina signing Derek Carr in your doomsday scenario to try and rile up Bears fans.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
If there are no serious bidders then offer a discount to Houston or the Colts for the pick.

The Bears can’t stay at #1 with 2 of the top 4 teams needing a QB and at the same time only owning 1 pick in the top 50. If they get only a 2nd to move back 1 or 2 spots, take it.

Or just draft the best QB and immediately put him up for auction lol. That’s a bold move cotton!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If there are no serious bidders then offer a discount to Houston or the Colts for the pick.

The Bears can’t stay at #1 with 2 of the top 4 teams needing a QB and at the same time only owning 1 pick in the top 50. If they get only a 2nd to move back 1 or 2 spots, take it.

Or just draft the best QB and immediately put him up for auction lol. That’s a bold move cotton!
If you're certain the market is there, you absolutely do that. Worst scenario would be taking the QB and not being able to move him while the next few team are on the clock. I've mentioned this in the past but you can't guess wrong here without it likely becoming a disaster.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If you're certain the market is there, you absolutely do that. Worst scenario would be taking the QB and not being able to move him while the next few team are on the clock. I've mentioned this in the past but you can't guess wrong here without it likely becoming a disaster.
He suggested “offering a discount”, and you say to definitely do that “if the market is there”?

I want to be on the opposite side of a negotiation with the two of you.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If you got underwear pics, you could prolly sell em to taint rainbow for a nice haul

Speaking of Pace…falcons could use a QB unless they get lucky with the QB carousel
Rumors here in Atlanta is they are making a play for Jackson.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He suggested “offering a discount”, and you say to definitely do that “if the market is there”?

I want to be on the opposite side of a negotiation with the two of you.
I assumed that 'a discount' means taking less than raping the other team for the pick and accepting an amount closer to JJ's chart. The market is the market. I believe the market will be better than that scenario but it's early. He wasn't suggesting it as a goal but is simply thinking about all the variables like a GM would. It's a very unlikely one.

Last edited:

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This. Exactly this. Fanbases want to convince themselves the Bears will stand pat and make a selection at #1. Both the Texans and Colts would prefer us to. No one wants to give a boatload of draft picks up, as there is always going to be a risk of getting a bust, not matter what QB you decide.

But at the end of the day there is going to be demand for our #1 pick. There may not be as much demand as we originally hoped, but some team is going to want a QB and will be willing to pay "something" to get first priority.
problem is, there is no Lawrence or Burrow in this draft

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it is early to worry about what Kiper thinks. If you want to worry at all.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Rumors here in Atlanta is they are making a play for Jackson.
I’m sure they would love to, I cant imagine Baltimore let’s him walk though

Bust

Liked Posts:
still early, combines haven't even started.

Poles needs to play poker. Spread false rumors. It's why the Bears bit and moved up to #2 for mitch cause Pace thought the Browns were moving up for jock itch mitch as well (probably spread by the 49ers)

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I’m sure they would love to, I cant imagine Baltimore let’s him walk though

It’s been trade speculation not free agency. Problem is Atlanta has few players to offer that Baltimore would want

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It’s been trade speculation not free agency. Problem is Atlanta has few players to offer that Baltimore would want
Yeah, if I’m Baltimore it’s give me 2 1sts, 2 2nds, Kyle pitts, and Calvin Ridley(just for shits and gigs, love me a gambling man)