Mel Kiper doesn't think Bears can trade out of the top pick

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Doesn't Lamar Jackson become a free agent once the league year begins in March? So it would have to be a sign and trade.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah, if I’m Baltimore it’s give me 2 1sts, 2 2nds, Kyle pitts, and Calvin Ridley(just for shits and gigs, love me a gambling man)
They wouldn’t want Pitts with Likely & Edwards. But maybe London or AJ Terrell?

Ridley is on the Jags.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
They wouldn’t want Pitts with Likely & Edwards. But maybe London or AJ Terrell?

Ridley is on the Jags.
Holy hell, I totally forgot that Ridley trade happened

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Doesn't Lamar Jackson become a free agent once the league year begins in March? So it would have to be a sign and trade.
There's little doubt they will tag him if he doesn't sign.

Last edited:

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
There's little doubt they don't tag him if he doesn't sign.
That is true. I just think that a team that is giving up a boat load of assets to trade for him is going to want to make sure he doesn't leave after one year and they don't want the burden of him playing hardball on a new contract negotiation.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That is true. I just think that a team that is giving up a boat load of assets to trade for him is going to want to make sure he doesn't leave after one year and they don't want the burden of him playing hardball on a new contract negotiation.
Trade don't happen without that.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
problem is, there is no Lawrence or Burrow in this draft
Maybe not a Burrow or Lawrence, but I'd argue Bryce Young coming out is better than other #1 picks..Kyle Murray, Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff,
and James Winston,.

Also, when has the top 2 QBs been as highly touted? Maybe Lawrence-Fields should have been if the media doesnt talk themselves into stupid things during the offseason like Zack Wilson.

Either way, It doesn't happen often QBs go 1-2. And when all is said and done that is the more likeky outcome in my opinion this year. Right now, I think fans and the media are all getting cold feet and scared to committ early to a QB. They all want to play it safe right now as everyone wants to day dream about staying put and having a QB fall to them. But over time emotional connections are made and teams enter bidding wars to get their guy.

Reality is, this is a pretty good draft to have the #1 pick. Bryce Young is a heck of a QB and compares well to other #1 picks. Just be patient. There is a reason why we will end up waiting a few more months before trading out of #1.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mel Kiper's Hair must have taken the day off.

SiDe WaYs

Liked Posts:
On ESPN today he was saying that what he was hearing was that teams were not in love with Young, Straud and Levis and while they will be drafted high, teams might not throw in the farm to get them. And if the Bears do not get substantial compensation to move down, they will stay put at 1.

He has the Bears taking Carter at 1. Has Straud going 2 to the Texans and Young going 4 to the Colts.

This scenario would suck ass for us.
No he said he made that mock draft for a base basically. He wasn’t doing any trades he just put where everyone he thinks would go in his FIRST mock draft. He said they can trade back twice. But just like every year that team needs to be in love with them.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
On ESPN today he was saying that what he was hearing was that teams were not in love with Young, Straud and Levis and while they will be drafted high, teams might not throw in the farm to get them. And if the Bears do not get substantial compensation to move down, they will stay put at 1.

He has the Bears taking Carter at 1. Has Straud going 2 to the Texans and Young going 4 to the Colts.

Good thing Mel is wrong so often.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Nothing heats up until after the combine and teams have crunched tape.

If it comes down to it and the Bears have to take a package closer to the 2nd or 3rd overall I would still do it. The phone will ring plenty before draft day comes and Bears will still have plenty of opportunities.
Yes a good market will develop no doubt.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Mel kiper was clearly high on cocaine or some other stimulant during the last draft.

I wouldn't trust what that idiot has to say about anything anymore. Good for him for getting his bag and doing it for as long as he has, but the dude is a moron.

How dare you slander Mel!

1674776911637.png

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Packers reportadly will only trade him to an AFC team.

And the Colts will not be that team. Maybe the Jets or Raiders. Why the hell would a 40 year old want to go to a team that bad?

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:

Lol! Its January. Wait till one of these guys tears it up at a work out and suddenly its a free for all to get the #1 pick. When has the #1 not had any interest ? Mel should know better.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Again

Why would a 40 year old QB, with a no trade clause, choose a bad Indianapolis team with zero weapons over other AFC teams? and take away two first rounders so what help is he supposed to get?

He can play with Adams or the better WRs with the Jets

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I don't think that's really what Kiper meant by that, but I would just remind everyone that it's smokescreen season. Of course the Bears would want people to think they might stay at #1. And of course other teams would want the Bears to think they might not be willing to trade up to #1.

Anyone who thinks the Bears won't have trade-down options is sorely mistaken. The closer we get to the draft, the more GMs will fall in love with particular prospects, some of whom will get in "I HAVE TO HAVE HIM" mode. Those are the GMs you can exploit. Chris Ballard is probably one of those guys. John Schneider and Brad Holmes (#4 and #5) may also end up in that category.

And if even one of those GMs wants to jump, the Texans have to seriously consider not letting it happen. Then AT THE VERY LEAST, it becomes worth it to trade back with *whatever* the Texans are offering, if you're worried about losing your pick at a top D player (b/c the Texans are obviously not going defense).

Long story short, there will be options, and at the very least, the Bears will be able to do a mild trade-back and still get assets and their pick of the litter. Or they can swing for the fences and go big on assets while having fewer high-draft options. Again, there will be choices available to the Bears. They're not staying at #1 if they don't want to.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
I’ll hold onto my dick for now
I ripped mine off after the original post, now frantically trying to tape it back on.

If there’s one thing that’s guaranteed on draft day it’s that a GM will be in love with a QB and reach up to get them. I would be shocked if there isn’t a significant offer for that number one pick.