Mel Kiper grades the Bears' draft (B-)

SouthSida773

Liked Posts:
Chicago Bears: B-
Top needs: S, CB, DT, WR
Needs: B Value: C+
Summary: The Bears have some questions on value, but I think they did a solid job of targeting needs. Kyle Fuller may not be a star at CB, but the floor is probably a really good player for a long time. I didn't mind that pick at all, especially after Cleveland moved up to get Justin Gilbert, who isn't superior to Fuller. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix would've been a solid pick here as well. The Bears did a great job of rebuilding what was a defensive line in tatters at the end of 2013, and Ego Ferguson and Will Sutton round out the depth chart there. Ferguson was a reach, but the talent is enticing. Sutton is interesting, because his 2012 tape is fantastic. If he can get his weight down and play lighter and with more explosiveness, he's a nice addition in Round 3. Ka'Deem Carey has great tape, but the 4.7 40 time puts him in a category of RBs that rarely offer much. Hopefully the Bears get the tape version, but the 4th round is pretty rich. Brock Vereen can help at safety, a pretty massive need area. David Fales has talent but questions on the arm -- we'll see if he's a case of improved arm strength. Charles Leno can make this roster. Good work on needs, outside of depth at wide receiver, but I think they missed on value more than one. That said, the Bears had a really good offseason. They're better than the team that finished 2013.

Reactions: WCL

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think WR was a top need......LBer....Mel, LBer.

Reactions: 1ke

msadows

Liked Posts:
wish i could get paid to be wrong more often than im right

Reactions: 1ke

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
He said depth at WR is a need.

That could be said about any team.....

He didn't mention LBer which is a bigger need than a 4th WR or depth at TE.....I think depth at TE is more important to us right now than a 4th or 5th WR...

msadows

Liked Posts:
we have two 1,200 yard WR's. our 4th wr will catch like 3 passes.

Guess we need more depth!

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
That could be said about any team.....

He didn't mention LBer which is a bigger need than a 4th WR or depth at TE.....I think depth at TE is more important to us right now than a 4th or 5th WR...

True. However, not saying it should have been a priority in this draft but it can't objectively be said that Kiper is wrong about the depth issue. The Bears have arguably the best starting wr tandem in the league but there are no proven back ups.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
True. However, not saying it should have been a priority in this draft but it can't objectively be said that Kiper is wrong about the depth issue. The Bears have arguably the best starting wr tandem in the league but there are no proven back ups.

He listed it as a top need........

in your opinion do you think LBer and backup TE are more important that the Bears 4th or 5th WR.......

I don't think the Bears consider their WR depth desperate as they were comfortable dropping Earl Bennett. Would you consider anyone the Bears picked up in the 6th or 7th round going to displace Dominik Hixon as the 4th WR? Would you consider it a top need?

Do you think someone to back up DJ Williams more pressing based on what happened last year, or the problem we have if Briggs goes down? I would consider backup LB more pressing. We have little option if Bennett goes down at the TE position. Is that more pressing than a 4th or possibly 5th WR......we picked up two veteran WRs in the offseason so they could catch 5 to 15 passes this year.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Mel Kiper.............Who the hell is Mel Kiper, my postman knows more about football than Mel Kiper.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
He listed it as a top need........

in your opinion do you think LBer and backup TE are more important that the Bears 4th or 5th WR.......

I don't think the Bears consider their WR depth desperate as they were comfortable dropping Earl Bennett. Would you consider anyone the Bears picked up in the 6th or 7th round going to displace Dominik Hixon as the 4th WR? Would you consider it a top need?

Do you think someone to back up DJ Williams more pressing based on what happened last year, or the problem we have if Briggs goes down? I would consider backup LB more pressing. We have little option if Bennett goes down at the TE position. Is that more pressing than a 4th or possibly 5th WR......we picked up two veteran WRs in the offseason so they could catch 5 to 15 passes this year.

I would agree that LB is more pressing. But the ultimate variable of course is always injuries. If Marshall and Jeffery stay healthy...

Do you think the Bears are still the market for a back up TE?

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I guarantee Carey runs faster than 4.7. I've watched the kid every year for the last three years at UofA he led the nation in rushing as sophomore and was second or third In the country as a junior. He doesn't have a great OL in front of him, he gets his yards by himself. He's a tremendous talent. Stop listening to people who never watched him play.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
I guarantee Carey runs faster than 4.7. I've watched the kid every year for the last three years at UofA he led the nation in rushing as sophomore and was second or third In the country as a junior. He doesn't have a great OL in front of him, he gets his yards by himself. He's a tremendous talent. Stop listening to people who never watched him play.

I have never been sold on forty times without pads. Some guys get slower once the pads go on.