Member all those dominant Roquan performances

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel if you cause more turnovers and havoc you should get paid more. That's just not really Roquans game. He is very good, very very good, but you can't be paid top end dollar when there are other's creating more havoc IMO
It seems like even top ILBs don’t create many turnovers these days, therefore I’d include sacks and TFLs in creating havoc when comparing them

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Still one season more than the guy that is seeking the highest LB contract in the league. Don't you think he should have more than 1 in a season let alone in his whole career before he starts seeking a contract that big?

I don't understand how adults like you can be so damn dumb and excuse making for somebody that is clearly overplaying their hand here. There are so many undeserving contracts in professional sports. This would be another one. Just because he's the "best" player on a bad team, that doesn't mean he deserves a contract like that. He's not special. We could draft Will Anderson from Alabama and get equal production for less money.
I don’t think forced fumbles are the only way to evaluate a player, that’s seemingly all you’re willing to consider and yet calling others dumb ?

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In a study conducted by the Harvard Sports Analysis Collective, it was found that a team that wins the turnover margin in a game wins 69.6 percent of the time.

Yeah who want the Bears to win 70% of their games. They should just pay a guy that is one of the poorest starting LB at causing turnovers and dead last in turnover/tackle during his career #1 NFL LB money.
Better trade Jaylon Johnson now then?

Why do you expect an ILB to be a turnover machine? Who are all of these ILBs you use to compare?

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
"...Smith joined arguably the greatest linebacker of all-time, former Baltimore Ravens great Ray Lewis in an elite statistical category, they are the only two linebackers in NFL history to tally over 300 tackles and 30 tackles for a loss in back to back seasons.

That’s it, that’s the entire number of players in the history of the league to do that in consecutive years..." Excerpted from an article I just read.
Pay him.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I like Roquan as a player, but he's really only had standout games against Jared Goff and that incredible pick-6 this past season against the Bengals. He is definitely a tackle hog though.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
If you don’t think he’s worth the contract that’s understandable, but are we really going to pretend that he wasn’t far and away the best defensive player for the bears last year? Like, it wasn’t even close.

mceownr22

PacetheGawd
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If you don’t think he’s worth the contract that’s understandable, but are we really going to pretend that he wasn’t far and away the best defensive player for the bears last year? Like, it wasn’t even close.
The Bears best player last year in general

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
He’s an elite ILB in the current NFL. If you don’t want to pay an ILB regardless that’s a different argument

Ok, I can settle at that. A team as bad as the Bears in an offensive league with no weapons that scare anybody has no business "setting the market" for an ILB.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
I don’t think forced fumbles are the only way to evaluate a player, that’s seemingly all you’re willing to consider and yet calling others dumb ?

Not dumb. Dense. You seem to be. Nobody said that forced fumbles are the only criteria, but are a category where Smith has produced one in his whole career. That's not being the best, therefore you don't deserve the best contract.

It's clear that you support Smith getting a huge contract or just support the athletes in general.

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not dumb. Dense. You seem to be. Nobody said that forced fumbles are the only criteria, but are a category where Smith has produced one in his whole career. That's not being the best, therefore you don't deserve the best contract.

It's clear that you support Smith getting a huge contract or just support the athletes in general.
So you focus on a category that suits your narrative.
Fred Warner set the ILB market and Smith has more INTs, sacks and TFLs than him. Who’s better?

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok, I can settle at that. A team as bad as the Bears in an offensive league with no weapons that scare anybody has no business "setting the market" for an ILB.
It’s far from ideal but I don’t think the Bears have any business losing that level of talent from this roster

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Tackles mean basically nothing. CJ Mosley was atrocious for the Jets this past season yet finished with more tackles than even Roquan Smith. TFL's? Eh, whatever. They're nice I suppose but unlike sacks they don't lead to turnovers.

It is all about turnovers. Roquan doesn't get them. Bears can pay somebody a rookie contact to force one fumble every four seasons and get a pick a year.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Fred Warner set the ILB market and Smith has more INTs, sacks and TFLs than him. Who’s better?

I don't care about who you think is better or who I think is better. The Bears don't need to pay the highest ILB contract to Smith when they have so many holes on the team. It's an offensive league. If the Bears think Fields is the answer, I do not think he is, you need to spend on OLine and weapons to give him every opportunity to succeed. Smith doesn't mean much to this team. They aren't winning regardless of what he's doing on the field.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Fred Warner got paid last off-season and then underperformed this year.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Tackles mean basically nothing. CJ Mosley was atrocious for the Jets this past season yet finished with more tackles than even Roquan Smith. TFL's? Eh, whatever. They're nice I suppose but unlike sacks they don't lead to turnovers.

It is all about turnovers. Roquan doesn't get them. Bears can pay somebody a rookie contact to force one fumble every four seasons and get a pick a year.

Will Anderson...........

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

How many turnovers do the great ILBs account for?

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Whether we extend Roquan for 15 mil a year, 20 mil a year or anything in-between will not take away from us having the most cap in the league for 2023. We have 90+ mil in space. Thats 40+ mil more than the next team. If there is a top receiver that hits the market next season, whether we sign Roquan or not will not make one iota of a difference in our ability to sign the top WR.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Whether we extend Roquan for 15 mil a year, 20 mil a year or anything in-between will not take away from us having the most cap in the league for 2023. We have 90+ mil in space. Thats 40+ mil more than the next team. If there is a top receiver that hits the market next season, whether we sign Roquan or not will not make one iota of a difference in our ability to sign the top WR.
But then you are looking at maybe having to pay Jaylon Johnson and Darnell Mooney next off-season. Plus there is a long-term need at edge rusher (Robert Quinn is old), left tackle, wide receiver and potentially quarterback. Maybe Braxton Jones works out and is great, still that's only one of the four settled. Roquan Smith might not hurt you in the 2023 off-season, but come 2024 Ryan Poles might be wishing he had twenty million or so bucks freed up to pursue something more impactfull

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't care about who you think is better or who I think is better. The Bears don't need to pay the highest ILB contract to Smith when they have so many holes on the team. It's an offensive league. If the Bears think Fields is the answer, I do not think he is, you need to spend on OLine and weapons to give him every opportunity to succeed. Smith doesn't mean much to this team. They aren't winning regardless of what he's doing on the field.
Again, a different discussion