Michael Lombardi: Belief around the NFL is that Pace's job is safe.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My memory could be wrong, but I don't think Pace hired Fox, did he? Wasn't Fox here before Pace? so technically Pace has only fucked up one coaching hire.

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
My memory could be wrong, but I don't think Pace hired Fox, did he? Wasn't Fox here before Pace? so technically Pace has only fucked up one coaching hire.

Nope. He was Pace's hire. They both came to the org in early 2015 (Emery/Trestman fired after 2014 season). I think he was kinda' forced to hire Fox though.

mcbear34

Here for the Wins
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be surprised if George - sends everyone packing- including Teddy. Complete blow up. #callingit

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We don't know if he has trouble identifying offense, tbh, because he identified matt nagy as the coach he wanted to develop that offense.

We know matt is a bum, we don't know how anthony miller, monty, mooney, kmet, ridley, wims, cohen, daniels, whitehair, etc. would have all developed under a competend coaching staff.

Obviously you blame pace for hiring the wrong guy, but I think that bunch of guys has flashed more than enough to show they have talent, but nagy somehow makes all of his players worse every damn year.

Let’s take a look at his track record just prior to the Nagy hire and a couple of seasons after the first few rebuilding years. So 2017. Ryan Pace knowingly went into the 2017 season with Mike Glennon as his starting QB and Cam Meredith + Kevin White as his #1 and #2 wide receivers. He also paid Marcus Wheaton 6 mil for a grand total of 3 receptions. At TE, he paid Dion Sims 6 mil per season and drafted Shaheen. He gave up 3 draft picks to move up one spot and drafted Trubisky. He gave Leno a 4 year contract extension.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let’s take a look at his track record just prior to the Nagy hire and a couple of seasons after the first few rebuilding years. So 2017. Ryan Pace knowingly went into the 2017 season with Mike Glennon as his starting QB and Cam Meredith + Kevin White as his #1 and #2 wide receivers. He also paid Marcus Wheaton 6 mil for a grand total of 3 receptions. At TE, he paid Dion Sims 6 mil per season and drafted Shaheen. He gave up 3 draft picks to move up one spot and drafted Trubisky. He gave Leno a 4 year contract extension.
To be fair, I remember quite a few posters who thought Glennon could be a starter in the NFL.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think he's put together a team, outside of the OL.
So you think the Bears have a starting QB on the roster?

The Earmuff bitch-boy shows his stripes once again. Just pretends not to be in the brigade because the opposing forces are too strong. You’re not fooling anyone, Jr.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm frightened by Pace's vision for this team since it seems to involve drafting one QB in 6 years and forgetting there's a thing called the offensive line on football teams.

Amen...

Some Bears fans have gotten so use to failure that they no longer look at winning, games, playoff games & SBs to measure a GM’s success. Pace deserves more criticism then Nagy & the only reason he isn’t getting it, is because he is hiding behind the scenes. Pace has been the one common denominator between the last 2 failed coaching regimes. How can any head coach be consistently successful when the GM saddles him with bad QBs & olines, in an offensive trending league?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
This is nowhere near the worst set of offensive personnel we have seen on the Bears. There are good players on this team and many of them are being mismanaged and misused. Now the guy who is doing the mismanaging was hired by Pace, so there's definitely some blame to be given to the GM for that.

I go back and forth on what to do about Pace. I tend to err on the side of keeping him, since I the odds of replacing him with an improvement are low.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Yea, i already said he fucked up the HC pick and the QB pick, other than that, compare his draft record versus the other gm's in the league. Hit rate on first rounders is 50%. It gets a lot lot lower(obviously) the further rounds you drop down.
Actually his track record in the second and third rounds are both perfect. Everyone Pace has drafted in the second and third round his entire career is starting football games somewhere in the NFL. The guy is a draft god.

edit- Cole Kmet is not starting yet. Forgot about him.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Actually his track record in the second and third rounds are both perfect. Everyone Pace has drafted in the second and third round his entire career is starting football games somewhere in the NFL. The guy is a draft god.

edit- Cole Kmet is not starting yet. Forgot about him.
Cole Kmet should be though. Graham should be a red zone target, and maybe short yardage chain mover.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I love watching jackson play but i dont think he'll ever win a superbowl with his passing skills.

Did u know....he was the #1 passer in 2019?

and how did they do that year? jackson averaged about 27 attempts a game that year, bottom 5 in attempts, bottom 5 in yards per game which is expected with a very heavy run scheme. Against the titans jackson had 59 pass attempts, more than double his avg during the season. The run game got shut down in that game and the ravens fell behind and had to rely on jackson to pass his way out of it and he failed. Like i said, i love watching him play, juke players out of their pads and make amazing running moves but once they fall behind and their run game gets stuck in neutral, its over, jackson has not proven he can carry them with his arm if need be. Since its bye week for the bears i'll be watching the rematch of titans vs ravens sunday

So I was basically responding to your critique on his passing. With the wr corp he has ....ya gotta give more credit for his passing ability. Plus he did finish #1 in passing.

I watched his last game and not only did the wr's not get separation, they weren't even smart enuff the run for open space. Plus, they a habit of dropping passes right in the numbers. There was a game last year where they dropped 6-7 passes.
There a couple things to consider in the Ravens passing game.. the play-calling, sometimes Roman abandons the run game to quickly and of course the below avg wr's.

Last edited:

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
From what I remember there were many who thought Emery would be retained and only Trestman getting fired. Emery was seen in the press box with Ted Phillips etc weeks leading up to his firing..yet he was canned.

Huge difference though, those Emery teams were thoroughly embarrassed on the field.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Michael Lombardi: Belief around NFL is Ryan Pace's job is 'safe' with Bears
Lombardi feels Pace is a "really, really blessed person" if he doesn't get fired.

"The word around the league is that he's endeared himself to the family. I don't think there's any doubt that he would be back. Now, maybe that's because nobody really knows and they expect that."

"The Bears are 39-51 since Pace took over the Bears' front office in 2015.
Among Pace's greatest missteps with the Bears was selecting quarterback Mitchell Trubisky over stars in Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson in the 2017 draft. Chicago's quarterback situation remains unsolved this season.

"If you're Ted Phillips, you have to take a step back and say, 'OK, this general manager really cost us, a $100-million mistake in a sense we passed on a really good player,'" Lombardi said. "That alone should get you fired. When you enter the NFL, me included, when you enter the NFL and you make that mistake, you know you're not going to keep your job. If you keep your job after that mistake, you're really, really a blessed person. "
-----------

All this goes back to ownership not really putting winning FIRST.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Thank you. I'm collecting quotes like yours for ppl. who don't understand how Bear ownership works. How long have u suffered as a Bear fan?

Too long, saw them win a Super Bowl when I was in grade school and have been suffering ever since.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
So I was basically responding to your critique on his passing. With the wr corp he has ....ya gotta give more credit for his passing ability. Plus he did finish #1 in passing.

I watched his last game and not only did the wr's not get separation, they weren't even smart enuff the run for open space. Plus, they a habit of dropping passes right in the numbers. There was a game last year where they dropped 6-7 passes.
There a couple things to consider in the Ravens passing game.. the play-calling, sometimes Roman abandons the run game to quickly and of course the below avg wr's.

you keep referencing his #1 pass rating, thats great and all, it sounds like you watch him a decent amount, you have to be seeing his inability to be consistent in placing the ball correctly for his WR's/TE's. His number 1 target is a TE, that seems to be by design, the ravens employ a run heavy play action scheme where if the run game is successful, the TE is going to thrive if they are relatively competent. Andrews is better than competent, the guy can make some circus catches which is why he's done well with jackson. This year the run game hasn't been as good or consistent forcing jackson to throw to his WR's more.
As for the pats game, your right in that the WR's didnt get much separation but jc jackson is no slouch, the guy is a shutdown corner and mccourty was ready on the other side for brown's deep speed...belichek is very good at scheming a defense. Jackson again had some off target throws and head scratching throws...The pick before halftime to brown, what was he thinking? the corner had inside technique and didnt bite on the double move so no idea why jackson threw the ball and lost a potential 3 pts. He did it again later in the game, not sure what he's seeing to think he should throw that ball.

Like i said, i love watching his escapability but if the ravens dont get to the superbowl during jackson's rookie deal(1yr left), its over, once he gets paid, the ravens wont be able to sustain having a stud defense, a strong ground game (rb/ol) and stud WR's, something has to give.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
you keep referencing his #1 pass rating, thats great and all, it sounds like you watch him a decent amount, you have to be seeing his inability to be consistent in placing the ball correctly for his WR's/TE's. His number 1 target is a TE, that seems to be by design, the ravens employ a run heavy play action scheme where if the run game is successful, the TE is going to thrive if they are relatively competent.

Andrews is better than competent, the guy can make some circus catches which is why he's done well with jackson. This year the run game hasn't been as good or consistent forcing jackson to throw to his WR's more.
As for the pats game, your right in that the WR's didnt get much separation but jc jackson is no slouch, the guy is a shutdown corner and mccourty was ready on the other side for brown's deep speed...belichek is very good at scheming a defense. Jackson again had some off target throws and head scratching throws...The pick before halftime to brown, what was he thinking? the corner had inside technique and didnt bite on the double move so no idea why jackson threw the ball and lost a potential 3 pts. He did it again later in the game, not sure what he's seeing to think he should throw that ball.

Like i said, i love watching his escapability but if the ravens dont get to the superbowl during jackson's rookie deal(1yr left), its over, once he gets paid, the ravens wont be able to sustain having a stud defense, a strong ground game (rb/ol) and stud WR's, something has to give.

I hear ya on the throws. Many Qb's throw up picks at the end the half. Like I mentioned, more times than not the guys is on target. You're right, the TE is the primary target. That's a problem for any passing offense. We'll see what happens during and after his rookie deal.