Michael Mayer Notre Dame

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
He wasn’t effective all game though. The 2 drops were part of the game, they can’t be dismissed. What’s the point in getting open if you aren’t gonna catch the ball. He had a good game but could of had a great game. In my opinion

ND’s QB found him all night & he wouldn’t have looked for him if he was dropping the ball all night. However not much can be proven going back & fourth. None of us knows the future for sure. I think he has talent & is a good TE with a future. Time will tell & then we can revive this discussion.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
ND’s QB found him all night & he wouldn’t have looked for him if he was dropping the ball all night. However not much can be proven going back & fourth. None of us knows the future for sure. I think he has talent & is a good TE with a future. Time will tell & then we can revive this discussion.
Nobody is saying he isn’t talented though. We all, for the most part, think he has talent. We are mostly saying his drops were big and it kept him from having a great night. The coaches see those and wonder why they happened more than the catches because he is supposed to catch them ….they don’t dismiss the drops like you are. That’s all.

Last edited:

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nobody is saying he isn’t talented though. We all, for the most part, think he has talent. We are mostly saying his drops were big and it kept him from having a great night. The coaches see those and wonder whythey happened more than the catches because he is supposed to catch them ….they don’t dismiss the drops like you are. That’s all.

He dropped more then he caught? When he dropped 2 balls & caught 9?

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nobody is saying he isn’t talented though. We all, for the most part, think he has talent. We are mostly saying his drops were big and it kept him from having a great night. The coaches see those and wonder whythey happened more than the catches because he is supposed to catch them ….they don’t dismiss the drops like you are. That’s all.

I’m sure the coaches know players do drop some balls & the drops were an anomaly & not the norm for him.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Yes I watched the game & I’m not fixated on two drops but how well he played 90+ % of the game. Mayer did a great job of getting open all game & played well. I saw some nice talent. A couple of drops doesn’t take away the fact that he was effective all game. If you are basing his talent just off the two drops (got open then too). Then you are the one I need to be asking, If you watched the game.
What was once said about Eric Ebron. Yes,, he has potential elite TE talent as a receiver, but you cannot ignore huge drops, you just can't. Hopefully, this issue is fixed. Yes, it's an issue already in his young career

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol the stats people come up with. Guess it’s a good thing the bears didn’t draft Diggs then since he’s #3 on this list. He would hurt the team so much to have!!!
Cooper Kupp is also on that list LOL

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Liked Posts:

Would love to see Mayer in a Bears uni. Bears need a TE that doesn’t have brick hands.
He's a solid prospect, still not worth a top 10 pick given the amount of weaknesses the bears have....but this narrative of Kmet not being a good pass catching TE has died. It was a rough start to the season, but he's only had 2 drops this year and really turned into a really good player.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He's a solid prospect, still not worth a top 10 pick given the amount of weaknesses the bears have....but this narrative of Kmet not being a good pass catching TE has died. It was a rough start to the season, but he's only had 2 drops this year and really turned into a really good player.
Welcome to CCS. Where ill-informed narratives don’t die. Mayer was always the top-rated TE in the draft so this isn’t news. He’ll get drafted in the high teens, which is where the Bears won’t be drafted.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I think we are back to over rating kmet. He's a solid in line TE. Bears could certainly continue looking for a TE that is more of a threat in the passing game. Kmet is a nice short yardage option, but he doesn't make a ton of chunk plays. Maybe that improves when he isn't in protection as much, but his movement skills are lacking a bit.

Also not interested in Mayer, but if the Bears have a chance at bowers next year I wouldn't be mad. The 2 1sts next year will be bowers and Harrison jr.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Welcome to CCS. Where ill-informed narratives don’t die. Mayer was always the top-rated TE in the draft so this isn’t news. He’ll get drafted in the high teens, which is where the Bears won’t be drafted.
Right? There's so many more pressing needs than TE.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:

Initial scouting report​

"Mayer has great size for the tight end position. He showcases strong hands and an ability to get upfield quickly after the catch. The Kentucky native is not going to test off the charts physically, but there is zero wasted motion in his game. Mayer is a bear to bring down in open space, and he does a sufficient job of blocking both in space and inline. There is comfort for teams in knowing what they are getting by selecting Mayer -- nicknamed "Baby Gronk" dating back to his freshman campaign." -- CBS Sports NFL Draft analyst Josh Edwards (Sept. 6)

God no, Bears already had a "Baby Gronk".

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
I can't see why we wouldn't draft a TE in the first round. Let's just have an all ND receiving crew what could go wrong?

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Now that’s the kind of TE the Bears need. Very good size, good route runner, nice hands & can block!
I’m not sure. We don’t really need a Y. We need a flex, moveable, pass catcher.

Don’t get me wrong; if we get him, I’ll be happy. It’s just he’s being projected as a 1st round pick. That’s too rich for my tastes when we don’t need a do it all. We just need a pass catching UTE.

So, he would be a great pick, but, for where he’s going, we can get a better value.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I’m not sure. We don’t really need a Y. We need a flex, moveable, pass catcher.

Don’t get me wrong; if we get him, I’ll be happy. It’s just he’s being projected as a 1st round pick. That’s too rich for my tastes when we don’t need a do it all. We just need a pass catching UTE.

So, he would be a great pick, but, for where he’s going, we can get a better value.
This. He would be an awesome addition, like bijon, but would cost a 1st rounder. Team needs to focus on other areas. The FA TE market has a lot of options to get that move TE.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
This. He would be an awesome addition, like bijon, but would cost a 1st rounder. Team needs to focus on other areas. The FA TE market has a lot of options to get that move TE.
Or, later on in the draft. 3rd or later would be fine, unless we can pick up a couple more 2nd rounders.