Middle-aged Married Couple Wanted for Mars Trip

Stapler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
WASHINGTON (AP) — It's a road trip that could test the best of marriages: Mars.

A tycoon announced plans Wednesday to send a middle-aged couple on a privately built spaceship to slingshot around the red planet and come back home, hopefully with their bodies and marriage in one piece after 501 days of no-escape togetherness in a cramped capsule half the size of an RV.

The trying circumstances include: no showers, limits on toilet paper and clothing, drinking water made from the crew members' recycled urine and sweat, and almost no privacy. But the flight also comes with never-before-seen views of Mars. And there's ample time for zero-gravity sex in space, something NASA doesn't like to talk about.

As for why a man and a woman will be selected, "this is very symbolic and we really need it to represent humanity," MacCallum said.

He said if it is a man and a woman on such a long, close-quarters voyage, it makes sense for them to be married so that they can give each other the emotional support they will probably need when they look out the window and see Earth get smaller and more distant: "If that's not scary, I don't know what is."

The private, nonprofit project, called Inspiration Mars, will get initial money from NASA engineer-turned-multimillionaire investment consultant Dennis Tito, the first space tourist. The organizers hope to raise the rest through donations, advertising and media partnerships.

http://news.yahoo.com/tycoon-wants-send-married-couple-mars-flyby-224042579.html

I asked my wife if she wanted to go with me on a round trip to Mars and she said "sure" until I mentioned we'd have to drink our recycled pee and sweat...so I guess we're out. Anybody else think they could talk their spouse into going?

Dogstar

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
  2. Wisconsin Badgers
Hell no. I can't even get my wife to go camping for a weekend.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hmmm, I've threatened to send my wife to the moon . . . but never Mars

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
What if one of them died like 100 days into the trip?...

Also, it's like sending a cat and a dog together. I would guess only one comes back alive.

Stapler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What if one of them died like 100 days into the trip?...

I guess you'd have a supplemental food source while saving on oxygen. (weightless sex would probably take on a weird dimension tho...)