Might start watching hockey again. What do I need to know?

Granada

Liked Posts:
I used to watch hockey when I was way younger. Like when Chelios played for the Blackhawks. For whatever reason, I totally stopped paying attention to it in the mid 90s or so...but for some reason I want to start watching again. Maybe to give myself other sports to watch outside of the NFL.

So what do I need to know about this franchise? I saw the Fleury signing. The consensus seems to be that this improves the roster enough to be semi competitive, but not good enough to make a run at the Stanley Cup.

Please help educate this hockey noob who for whatever reason stopped paying attention for like 20+ years.

TIA.

Hagel is the most promising young player on the team, even though his ceiling is not "superstar." He was just signed to an awesome contract at 3 years, 1.5 per -- solid signing by Stan, I'll admit.

Dach needs to improve this year. His ceiling is superstar.

Lankinen needs to build off a decent year last year.

Toews is a gigantic question mark, hopefully he returns.

Johnson, Jones, McCabe, and Fleury are the biggest additions to the team.

Keith was traded. Seabs and Shaw retired.

This team should be better than last year, but they are not Cup contenders. They're a playoff team at best, and even that isn't a given considering they have coaches like Colliton and Brookbank.

That's just off the top of my head.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Hagel is the most promising young player on the team, even though his ceiling is not "superstar." He was just signed to an awesome contract at 3 years, 1.5 per -- solid signing by Stan, I'll admit.

Dach needs to improve this year. His ceiling is superstar.

Lankinen needs to build off a decent year last year.

Toews is a gigantic question mark, hopefully he returns.

Johnson, Jones, McCabe, and Fleury are the biggest additions to the team.

Keith was traded. Seabs and Shaw retired.

This team should be better than last year, but they are not Cup contenders. They're a playoff team at best, and even that isn't a given considering they have coaches like Colliton and Brookbank.

That's just off the top of my head.
Dach, superstar? A bit of stretch don’t you think. He certainly has the intangibles to be a very good hockey player, but placing him under the superstar category you are equating him with the likes of Mcdavid or his very own team mate Pat Kane. Just saying buddy.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I'm also going to get back into Hockey but not the Blackhawks. After this sex abuse investigation is over, this team is toast.

Think I might become a Golden Knights fan. Are they any good yet?
The sex abuse situation is terrible but I’m not holding players responsible for that or rooting for a different team. If there are members of the current management team that or culpable then their heads should roll. But I’m not changing my allegiance to Las Vegas or some damn thing.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The sex abuse situation is terrible but I’m not holding players responsible for that or rooting for a different team. If there are members of the current management team that or culpable then their heads should roll. But I’m not changing my allegiance to Las Vegas or some damn thing.
Cool but apparently all sorts of players were down for covering this up. That's a nasty assraping culture. Hope they at least apologize to fans if all this comes out like it seems it will. I'm not going to accept that apology is all.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're about 13 years late for a once in a lifetime run for the franchise.

There are some decent young players on the team, and they are trying to be competitive by bringing in Fleury, Jones , and Johnson.

They should be competitive enough to make the playoffs, but there are a lot of question marks.
this might(might) be a playoff team in 2 divisions, but ours is not one of them.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Dach, superstar? A bit of stretch don’t you think. He certainly has the intangibles to be a very good hockey player, but placing him under the superstar category you are equating him with the likes of Mcdavid or his very own team mate Pat Kane. Just saying buddy.

You're saying a third overall pick isn't expected to eventually become a superstar? He has been touted this whole time as Toews' replacement.

I'm not saying Dach is there yet, I'm saying that's his ceiling. Whether he hits that ceiling or not is TBD.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Cool but apparently all sorts of players were down for covering this up. That's a nasty assraping culture. Hope they at least apologize to fans if all this comes out like it seems it will. I'm not going to accept that apology is all.
and where is the proof of that?

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
You're saying a third overall pick isn't expected to eventually become a superstar? He has been touted this whole time as Toews' replacement.

I'm not saying Dach is there yet, I'm saying that's his ceiling. Whether he hits that ceiling or not is TBD.
Cam Barker

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils

There are quit a first overall picks that have not become superstars, I cant see him in the same category as Crosby, Kane, Mcdavid, Mackinnon,. When you use the word superstar that’s what I envision.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I used to watch hockey when I was way younger. Like when Chelios played for the Blackhawks. For whatever reason, I totally stopped paying attention to it in the mid 90s or so...but for some reason I want to start watching again. Maybe to give myself other sports to watch outside of the NFL.

So what do I need to know about this franchise? I saw the Fleury signing. The consensus seems to be that this improves the roster enough to be semi competitive, but not good enough to make a run at the Stanley Cup.

Please help educate this hockey noob who for whatever reason stopped paying attention for like 20+ years.

TIA.

I am in the same category. I followed hockey big time in the 90's with Smith, Chelios and Belfour. Roenick, Daze and Amonte. But I fell off with the team after grade school. I actually became a half-assed Capital fan with all of their runs and failures up until they won the cup. But I can't proclaim Hawk fandom when they won their 3 titles as I didn't give a shit.

I don't follow the NBA anymore either but am very intrigued by the Ball, Rozen signings or trades or whatever. Jordan and the Bulls took it all out of me. It was "must see" TV back in the day. I still follow college B-Ball so I know most of the players. I just don't tune in by the time they reach the NBA.

For me it goes Bears- Cubs-Terps-start of Nascar-NHL playoffs-and then maybe cornhole championships on ESPN the ocho. I also enjoy the Olympics and world cup every 2 and 4 years respectively. I also like to watch Rugby if I ever catch the right channel while surfing.

For me, as I got older and continue to age; my time to consume all sports is dwindling with all of lifes' other priorities. But my wife and fam know to either join in or not mess with Dad when the Bears are on!

So the Hawks like to rape? What rock was I under during all of this?

Granada

Liked Posts:
There are quit a first overall picks that have not become superstars, I cant see him in the same category as Crosby, Kane, Mcdavid, Mackinnon,. When you use the word superstar that’s what I envision.

That's a separate argument. Any top 3 pick has incredibly high expectations whether they fail or flourish. To claim Dach doesn't have those same high expectations (i.e. as high a ceiling) isn't accurate. Shit, TT was being labeled as "Baby Kane" and he was an 18th pick. He certainly didn't live up to that moniker, but again, the expectation was certainly there.

I would hope it's not the case, but Dach may very well fail. I think it's way too early to say right now though, and the expectations for him are still sky high.

Last edited:

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:

Pretty sad that a member of the CCS staff has his head buried in the sand over very serious allegations because their favorite team is involved.

I bet @jts1207 and @greg23 are blaming the victim. They seem classy like that.