Might start watching hockey again. What do I need to know?

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
I used to watch hockey when I was way younger. Like when Chelios played for the Blackhawks. For whatever reason, I totally stopped paying attention to it in the mid 90s or so...but for some reason I want to start watching again. Maybe to give myself other sports to watch outside of the NFL.

So what do I need to know about this franchise? I saw the Fleury signing. The consensus seems to be that this improves the roster enough to be semi competitive, but not good enough to make a run at the Stanley Cup.

Please help educate this hockey noob who for whatever reason stopped paying attention for like 20+ years.

TIA.

Welcome back to the best sport on earth.
The Hawks will be entertaining. Many here are more negative than needed.
Watch the Kraken if you can some time-dont know how good they'll be, but they will have a fun barn and they will be tough.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Pretty sad that a member of the CCS staff has his head buried in the sand over very serious allegations because their favorite team is involved.

I bet @jts1207 and @greg23 are blaming the victim. They seem classy like that.
Nice try. Go back to the other forums with the whales you love to reel in.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
That's a separate argument. Any top 3 pick has incredibly high expectations whether they fail or flourish. To claim Dach doesn't have those same high expectations (i.e. as high a ceiling) isn't accurate. Shit, TT was being labeled as "Baby Kane" and he was an 18th pick. He certainly didn't live up to that moniker, but again, the expectation was certainly there.

I would hope it's not the case, but Dach may very well fail. I think it's way too early to say right now though, and the expectations for him are still sky high.
Fair enough, I am sure we will be traveling down this road again about Dach. This is crucial year for him, it could be a bang or bust sort of year for him. The organization needs him to breakthrough this season.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Welcome back to the best sport on earth.
The Hawks will be entertaining. Many here are more negative than needed.
Watch the Kraken if you can some time-dont know how good they'll be, but they will have a fun barn and they will be tough.
Who you calling negative ??

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ohhh man if PuckJim were still on the board to talk about his favorite player.

Oh man, he sure went down with that ship didn't he.
I have no clue what he saw in the guy.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I’m known as one of the biggest Montreal Canadians fans around.

I might check out the Kraken. Maybe even consider going by KrakenBud from here on out.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
That's a separate argument. Any top 3 pick has incredibly high expectations whether they fail or flourish. To claim Dach doesn't have those same high expectations (i.e. as high a ceiling) isn't accurate. Shit, TT was being labeled as "Baby Kane" and he was an 18th pick. He certainly didn't live up to that moniker, but again, the expectation was certainly there.

I would hope it's not the case, but Dach may very well fail. I think it's way too early to say right now though, and the expectations for him are still sky high.
Idk about the TT comp.

If anybody screams knock off Kane who plays a hint of defense,it’s TT.

As for Dach, if he takes a step forward taking face offs and actually shooting the puck, they might have something. He’s very solid defensively but really needs work in transition to live up to the hype. I know a lot of fans want him playing with Kane but that’s just so he can leech points to make him seem more impactful then he really is in the offensive zone.

Rather have a midget line with Johnson centering Cat and Kane and a line of Reichel, Dach, and Hagel banging and bum slaying mis matches, but that’s just me. Reichel and Dachs game is so similar and both are good along the boards that Hagel could potentially net 25 next year.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Oh man, he sure went down with that ship didn't he.
I have no clue what he saw in the guy.
Ovi, Malkin , Barker??? That pick I tell you, but I guess it kinda even out since Andrew Ladd was 4th and the Hawks picked him up for a huge Cup run and victory.