Mike Glennon is pretty good?

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
i liked glennon coming out of college and would have liked for the bears to have taken him in the mid rounds. hell, i even wouldnt have minded the bears trading/signing him as a free agent in and of itself. and i dont even hold glennon being winstons backup against him. i said it when lovie benched him that it was fucking stupid, he had a solid rookie season and should have been allowed to develop. but its lovie we are talking about. so, by the time winston was drafted tampa had invested in a #1 overall pick and as a result glennon wasnt starting regardless of how good he may have looked. again, lovie.

so, my problem with glennon at this point is the way pace handled it, pretty much outbidding himself, over paying and seeming to put all his eggs in the glennon basket.

as someone mentioned my fear isnt so much that hell be terrible, but, much like fox, will end up being mediocre enough that the bears fo remains content and the team ends up lingering in .500 purgatory for years. yet again.

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
Jameis Winston is around the 15-20th best QB in the league. Glennon was his back up and Tampa let him go.

We need a top 10 QB, anything else is a tanked season or bridge QB or sell a few more seats.
They didn't release him.... he was a FA and left. I'm sure he liekly saw himself as more than just a back up and wanted to test the market. the Bears 'may' have over paid some.. but he was liklely going to sign somewhere he felt he had a chance to compete for a start. Winston was TBs starter and with his best days ahead of him.. that wasn't going to change.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not from what we've been hearing. I think he'll end up taking Peterman in the third or something similar to insulate himself from a Glennon either being terrible or getting injured but I think he's still here in 2018 regardless of what happens.

How does a rookie like Peterman insulate Pace from a bad Glennon signing? Peterman is like the 6th to 7th QB in this class. That would get Pace hammered even more. I don't even know if Peterman is better then Fales.

Luke

Liked Posts:
They didn't release him.... he was a FA and left. I'm sure he liekly saw himself as more than just a back up and wanted to test the market. the Bears 'may' have over paid some.. but he was liklely going to sign somewhere he felt he had a chance to compete for a start. Winston was TBs starter and with his best days ahead of him.. that wasn't going to change.

TB offered him 8mil a year to be the backup, that's crazy. I'm having a difficult time distinguishing the #1 overall pick in his draft from the 75th pick in his draft and JW had all starter reps thru OTA's, camp, preseason and regular season while MG didn't.

JW
pct 59.6
td 50
int 33
rating 85.2

MG
pct 59.4
td 30
int 15
rating 84.6

Washington

Liked Posts:
However, that doesn't preclude taking a top QB when you're at #3 in the draft. Packers took Rogers when they had Farve. That's the right way to handle the essential position in football.

And Wash had just given the farm for RGIII and took Cousins and Seattle had signed Flynn to a large contract and took Wilson. That is how you tackle the problem.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My biggest knock against Glennon is that he's the shortest QB since Doug Flutie, after you deduct the neck that is

Washington

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I agree with the second paragraph. If he sucks badly, I'd hope we took a developmental QB that can start the last five or six games. Worse case scenario for me is that Glennon is good enough for 7-9 but not good enough to do much better.

Thing is, 7-9 with that shit roster would be a great year for this team.

Luke

Liked Posts:
And Wash had just given the farm for RGIII and took Cousins and Seattle had signed Flynn to a large contract and took Wilson. That is how you tackle the problem.

yep draft one in the 3rd or 4th round.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Originally Posted by laputan View Post
Jameis Winston is around the 15-20th best QB in the league. Glennon was his back up and Tampa let him go.

We need a top 10 QB, anything else is a tanked season or bridge QB or sell a few more seats.

Fact is glennon didn't do enuff to convince Tampa not not to draft Winston

AussieBear

no what ifs about it...

he already slayed the jay... what else could he accomplish dats greater than dat..

AussieBear

only enough to be offered the biggest backup contract in nfl history.... and more money than hoyer be getting as the possible numero uno in sf

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Quote Originally Posted by run and shoot View Post

only enough to be offered the biggest backup contract in nfl history.... and more money than hoyer be getting as the possible numero uno in sf

well to his credit.....Pace can drop glennon next yr. without much $$$ repercussion.

AussieBear

well to his credit.....Pace can drop glennon next yr. without much $$$ repercussion.

sure, da pace can. its a good contract for both parties involved. Pace can easily move on if the glennon magically sucks.. The glennon gets dat decent guaranteed money now and can easily extend in 3 yrs for a long term big money deal if hes da truth.. or walk in 3 yrs and still get paid elsewhere..

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Technically true, but fact is after playing one season for one of the shittiest coaches (Schiano)in recent NFL history, he was benched before ever playing for a HC with zero clue about QB's (Lovie) for a career back up in McCown. No amount of play by a 2nd year third round QB was going to stop a completely shitty TB team from drafting Winston with the 1st overall or playing the first overall over him. It would be true with every team in that situation.

Glennon may or may not be better than what people think he is, but his time in Tampa is little indicator.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
sure, da pace can. its a good contract for both parties involved. Pace can easily move on if the glennon magically sucks.. The glennon gets dat guaranteed money and can easily extend in 3 yrs for a long term big money deal if hes da truth.. or walk in 3 yrs and still get paid elsewhere..

"hes NOT da truth"......or he'd sill be in Tampa. We ain't gonna do that much better than last yr with glennon in 2017.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
"hes NOT da truth"......or he'd sill be in Tampa. We ain't gonna do that much better than last yr with glennon in 2017.
Pace knows this guy that played in San Diego and despite his play was let go for a guy drafted 2nd overall in 2004. His buddy went on to become pretty good with his second team. Just sayin'

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
How does a rookie like Peterman insulate Pace from a bad Glennon signing? Peterman is like the 6th to 7th QB in this class. That would get Pace hammered even more. I don't even know if Peterman is better then Fales.

If Glennon gets injured or sucks and we have to play Mark Sanchez with no developmental QB in place, I will lose my mind.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace knows this guy that played in San Diego and despite his play was let go for a guy drafted 2nd overall in 2004. His buddy went on to become pretty good with his second team. Just sayin'

Yes but Brees started turning it on in San Diego at the end but by then they already drafted Rivers. The only thing that held teams back was the shoulder. Brees was far better and more established when he departed San Diego than Glennon is. With Glennon there is a ton of unknown but definitely worth kicking the tires on at this point.