Mike Glennon is pretty good?

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
If there is a guy that Pace thinks is worth #3 Pace will absolutely take him. Thing is some don't even think there is a 1st round worthy QB. Do you think that if Mariota, Wentz or Winston were in this draft that Pace would pass on them?

The Bears being the Bears seem to have bottomed out in a QB poor draft year. It just seems they are destine to languish in QB purgatory

I honestly don't know if he would or wouldn't, each of those guys had major questions marks and were by no means a sure thing. Poor QB draft year? Maybe, maybe not. If I recall you were a fan of Trubisky right? What changed?

Mariota playing in a gimmick offense and only being an average thrower of the football was a risk, so was Winston and his off the field antics, and Wentz and his small school background. But their teams took that risk and it paid off. The Bears are only destined to languish in QB purgatory if they continue to never invest in the position.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not necessarily true. He had good numbers in his starts for a very bad team... but he wasn't Lovie's guy. All of us should know about Lovie and his tendencies when it comes to handling QBs. But, unless your QB was named Brady, Bress or Rodgers.... you had to draft Winston with the #1 pick the year he was available...couldn't really blame Lovie for pulling that trigger on then player who was considered the #1 prospect that year... Lovie was not going to be cute and to 'not' pick him after TB had messed up so much on thier last first round 'franchise' QB, Freeman... Lovie was desperate to have his own franchise QB.. something he couldn't get in Chicago.

Glennon was just caught in a bad situation for him

And lets not forget about him having zero chance in '14 due to McCown coming in on the heels of a 13 td 1 int season.
In a league where there has been a resurgent Palmer, Fitzpatrick, Brees (to a minor degree, he did kick ass before his injury in SD), Favre, Alex Smith, and Warner- Smith was convinced he scored the next free agent gem that would go on a late career tear and save his ass in tampa.

The kid looked to be really solid his rookie year and seems to be the best possible chance at an undiscovered gem that could have been found in free agency.
Should pace draft a guy as well, I will be happy as hell going in to the season knowing Pace was willing to take 2 big swings at the position.

Maybe it is the joy of seeing Cutler gone clouding my judgement, but I am really hopeful about this team moving forward and very pleased with Glennon- especially if they draft a QB high.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I honestly don't know if he would or wouldn't, each of those guys had major questions marks and were by no means a sure thing. Poor QB draft year? Maybe, maybe not. If I recall you were a fan of Trubisky right? What changed?

Mariota playing in a gimmick offense and only being an average thrower of the football was a risk, so was Winston and his off the field antics, and Wentz and his small school background. But their teams took that risk and it paid off. The Bears are only destined to languish in QB purgatory if they continue to never invest in the position.
I still think Trubisky is the class of this QB draft. I just think that Pace may not value any of these QB's as high 1st rnd talent. And he tried to move up for Mariota and allegedly Wentz and Winston was the consensus #1 overall so I think if that level talent were in this draft Pace would jump at any of them.

Maybe he values one of these guys like that, if he does I think he gets him at #3. If I had to make a single guess I would bet Kayaa in the 3rd. I think he has the arm talent Pace covets and I think he thinks the value there would be in his favor.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace has shown a tendency to like QB's that are traditional QB's. Field aware, accurate, more pocket calm and ball secure. Brees, Mariota, Wentz, and Glennon. Mariota has more mobility and Glennon is on the lower accuracy end of things, but I think there is a visible pattern. I think he likes Trubisky, Kayaa and Peterman in that order.
I don't think he values Trubisky at #3 and that is why he went after Glennon. I think he sees Trubisky as a mid to late 1 that will be drafted too early. I think he is zeroing in on the other 2 in the 2nd to 4th round and figures they will need a year to adapt. At least that what my source tells me.
:troll:
That sounds at least as true as any of the other speculative comments.

Luke

Liked Posts:
I still think Trubisky is the class of this QB draft. I just think that Pace may not value any of these QB's as high 1st rnd talent. And he tried to move up for Mariota and allegedly Wentz and Winston was the consensus #1 overall so I think if that level talent were in this draft Pace would jump at any of them.

Maybe he values one of these guys like that, if he does I think he gets him at #3. If I had to make a single guess I would bet Kayaa in the 3rd. I think he has the arm talent Pace covets and I think he thinks the value there would be in his favor.

The value will be the key thing which is why I believe that Pace won't take a QB at 36. I have always thought that 67 would be the first legitimate spot where the Bears might draft a QB and even then it depends on who is there. If I was a betting man, I would still think that a day 3 QB is most likely.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I think if the Bears draft a QB in the 1st it will be after they trade back to between 8-15 or if Pace's favorite slides, a trade back into the late first.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think he'd jump at the right guy at 36. I just don't see that guy making it to 36 and am in line with the Doc's take on it. I think that what aquiring Glennon may have done is prevent that trade back into one but I hope not if Pace actually values one of the prospects enough.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears are only destined to languish in QB purgatory if they continue to never invest in the position.

Yep.

71-7117-BQQV100Z.jpg

Luke

Liked Posts:
I think he'd jump at the right guy at 36. I just don't see that guy making it to 36 and am in line with the Doc's take on it. I think that what aquiring Glennon may have done is prevent that trade back into one but I hope not if Pace actually values one of the prospects enough.

We basically said the same thing about 36 and I also don't believe Pace will trade back up into the 1st. We also don't know what he thinks of the QB's and how he grades them. Assuming the top 4 are gone by 36, who is his next highest graded QB? Is he close enough to 36 to warrant the selection or is he closer to 67 and therefore selects the bpa? Then you get to 67 and by this time you are probably looking at QB graded like MG was or worse and is probably not close to bpa.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think that if the top 4 (or 3 is that's all he likes) are gone by 36, we wait until round 3 or 4. More likely 4 or trade back into 3 to get the one he likes that may have fallen. Depends on what he likes. If he likes Evans for instance, he can probably wait until 5 or because he needs development but has a very high potential.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If he passes on the 2nd tier guys like Kaaya, I'd just as soon he didn't bother at all and waited until next year. The chances of a late round QB becoming anything meaningful are slim to none and these picks could be used far more productively than another Enderle/Fales project.

At some point you have to take a swing early and really prioritize the position. The endless dumpster diving is never going to cut it.

Luke

Liked Posts:
if the top tier are gone at 36 which seems likely, it all depends on how he has his 2nd tier graded and that we don't know.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
If he passes on the 2nd tier guys like Kaaya, I'd just as soon he didn't bother at all and waited until next year. The chances of a late round QB becoming anything meaningful are slim to none and these picks could be used far more productively than another Enderle/Fales project.

At some point you have to take a swing early and really prioritize the position. The endless dumpster diving is never going to cut it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dobbs in the 4th, better than picking another useless DB.

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
Bottom line... I think Glennon has a better chance to be good for the team short term than any QB the team would take at #3... and he could be long term... has just as good of a chance at that as a drafted rookie from this class would.

I look back at past drafts and their tendencies and I don't see teams taking QBs rated like the top ones this year very high in the draft.... they often slide down into the 2nd or latter rounds... even though many professional mock drafts had them going earlier to teams who may have had need at QB.

I really believe the Bears can wait until the 2nd pick and still come out with a Kizer, Mahommes or Watson. Along with Tribinsky... I just can't see more than two of them going latter in the first round if they aren't picked at the top by SF or CLE.... KC and/or HOU may go for QB.... and those are big 'mays' but pass that... the chances of most of those guys going 2nd round or later is very strong.

Two much talent in the secondary in this draft and many teams do have needs at other positions they will address as most teams towards the bottom of the first got thier QBs and are not likely to go QB. I think this year will see a mid 1st round secondary run.... and the Bears are in a position to get the guys at the top of that run... rather than wait and pick someone in the middle or end of the run.

The team needs to pick Adams/ Hooker at S or maybe Latimore at CB (but I do worry about past injuries with him)

If the team wait until the 2nd pick to address QB they may still get thier top target at that position.... if he isn't there... Glennon gives the safety net for it to not be a disaster and they can just go BPA that we need at another position like TE or WR... give Glennon or whomever our future signal caller will be someone to throw the ball too.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Average the top 4 and once they have established themselves, Glennon could easily be better. Obviously we don't know but odds are 1/2 of them become perennial starters and the other 1/2 bust out or become journeymen.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I like Trubisky's ability to make the first pass rusher miss and his arm. I do not like his inexperience and game management decisions sometimes. He is a big reach at #3 but so is Watson. The best thing would be a trade down or Garrett if he makes it to #3.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
His game management is actually pretty good but everyone saw that pick in the bowl game. I get why some would think his management wasn't sound after seeing that but it was the exception.