Mike Martz says mean things about the Bears and Justin Fields. (Non football talk OK. This may not be a safe thread)

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Why wouldn't he? Is he in the business of trying to get himself fired?
Well we don't have enough cap to take care of all the needs we have and it sure would of been a good idea to give your 2nd year QB some offensive help, real offensive help, this last offseason and draft but didn't, so i'm just hoping he'll take advantage of it next offseason like i wish he would have this offseason. I'm sure he'll do some work on offense but will he do enough in one offseason or will he keep trying to sign tier 2 or 3 type players and build through the draft. I'm expecting at least 2 or 3 big signings.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Martzes doubtfire is an alt

Zerovoltz

Liked Posts:
Even if you don't want to take what Martz says seriously....the way the Bears have approached the season is telling you....screeming at you, all you need to know.

They have a young 1st round QB on his rookie deal. Usually that's the time to start using the cap space on putting a roster around that guy and trying to win. It's also usually the time to go find an offensive minded coach to partner up with the QB to put an offense together that maximizes the QB and skill players on the roster.

The Bears instead have decided 2022 is the year to eat a bunch of dead money and they hired a defensive minded head coach.

They didn't do these things to make 2022 a foundational year for a QB they believe in on a cheap deal. They are completely burning this season and building toward drafting the next QB...the one THEY pick themselves and believe in.

Ask yourself if this is how you'd go about building up Fields if he was your QB?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Even if you don't want to take what Martz says seriously....the way the Bears have approached the season is telling you....screeming at you, all you need to know.

They have a young 1st round QB on his rookie deal. Usually that's the time to start using the cap space on putting a roster around that guy and trying to win. It's also usually the time to go find an offensive minded coach to partner up with the QB to put an offense together that maximizes the QB and skill players on the roster.

The Bears instead have decided 2022 is the year to eat a bunch of dead money and they hired a defensive minded head coach.

They didn't do these things to make 2022 a foundational year for a QB they believe in on a cheap deal. They are completely burning this season and building toward drafting the next QB...the one THEY pick themselves and believe in.

Ask yourself if this is how you'd go about building up Fields if he was your QB?
You think your chiefs have a loaded wr group. I'll pass on your opinions, thanks though

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:

So, what would they have done if they didn't hate Fields like you are claiming?

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
You think your chiefs have a loaded wr group. I'll pass on your opinions, thanks though
What about the Packers? And they are Superbowl favs, but probably have a WR room equal the Bears one.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Actually this is not “the media” but a former Super Bowl winning coach. So I understand why people dont like him after his disaster in Chicago… but lets at least label him correctly. Thanks!
Assistant on a Super Bowl winning team that had three HOFs on offense, a coach inducted into the HOF, and the #6 D in the league that year.

He then failed to win a SB with the same personnel.

Just setting the record straight.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
First Martz says:
"Fields is a guy that makes a lot of mistakes and is not particularly accurate at times. He’s not a quick read-and-react guy"

" It’s going to be a rough career for (Fields) there. And I’ve seen a lot of really good players go to bad teams, and then their career just never takes off, and I think that’s what will happen with Fields."

Also Martz: "I think he’s a talented guy as a passer, but you don’t know how to evaluate him because he just doesn’t have anything around him."

So hes not a very good qb bound for failure with a bad team but hes a talented passer that you cant really evaluate because he just doesnt have anything around him? Makes sense if you dont think about it.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
“I don’t know if I’ve seen an offense that bad since the 0-16 lions.”

Ouch.

Except the 2008 lions had the 30th ranked offense.

How’d Martz’s useless ass do here? 31st ranked offense in 2010. 23rd in 2011. He can sit down and shut the fuck up.

I have almost zero faith in this offense, but Martz deserves the old yeller treatment if Getsy can manage better than 31st overall offense.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Assistant on a Super Bowl winning team that had three HOFs on offense, a coach inducted into the HOF, and the #6 D in the league that year.

He then failed to win a SB with the same personnel.

Just setting the record straight.

I think we can apply this scenario to Dave Wandstedt as well. Except going to the SB with the same team.

Martz's personnel decisions were quite awful when he basically made the Rams picks

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Witten had way more yards and was a much more complete TE. (He could actually block)

Like not even in the same ball park as players.

I am surprised he never hit double digits on TD’s though.
Because Dallas had plenty of other weapons. Bears traded their best one because they had Knox, Williams and Sausagebacon. :rolleyes:

Martz isn't entirely wrong about Fields at this point in his development but his true development started less than 6 months ago. We really need to see this o develop against various Ds before anyone should judge here. We don't know how much Fields is pushing the envelope to see what he can get away with vs just running it easy etc.

What I find interesting is that Martz would consistently get his QBs killed waiting for deep routes and then has that comment about a QB that prefers to read deep to short. Maybe he saw that one play where Fields passed on a 1st down and waited for Mooney in the corner before throwing an uncatchable. I personally felt it was the wrong choice but we also don't know the intent there or if that's the same choice he'd make in the regular season. I suspect Martz has witnessed a very small sample size and is unfamiliar with a lot of the personnel that the Bear have promoted, just like a casual fan.

Last edited:

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
It appears that Martz is unaware that the Bears have cleaned house and that Nagy and Pace are both gone....

I'm not saying there is not an air of truth to this article, but this is a completely different team than what he spoke about.

All of the media is talking about how bad the team will be, but the reality is NO ONE knows. I see us getting our asses handed to us in the first two games, but could really see us have a good run at some point in the season.

Martz is a dumb ass, regardless what he wrote here. He was the dumb ass that stopped running the ball in a monson, because the Colts were going to adjust, even though we run the ball at will against them.

Fuck Martz

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
“I don’t know if I’ve seen an offense that bad since the 0-16 lions.”

Ouch.

Except the 2008 lions had the 30th ranked offense.

How’d Martz’s useless ass do here? 31st ranked offense in 2010. 23rd in 2011. He can sit down and shut the fuck up.

I have almost zero faith in this offense, but Martz deserves the old yeller treatment if Getsy can manage better than 31st overall offense.
That's just it. Martz couldn't run his O without top skill players and OL so sees our personnel and thinks back to his O's and personnel. Dude always had tunnel vision.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It appears that Martz is unaware that the Bears have cleaned house and that Nagy and Pace are both gone....

He doesn't care. Taking shots at the Bears and Lions in one fell swoop sure sounds like the talk of a bitter ex that got dumped in both cities.

That's just it. Martz couldn't run his O without top skill players and OL so sees our personnel and thinks back to his O's and personnel. Dude always had tunnel vision.

He was basically Matt Nagy with a much higher football IQ. Where Nagy struggled to outcoach most other teams, Martz started to outcoach himself with a 6000 route playbook that literally no one would ever figure out. Even those GOAT Rams' receivers were kinda lost in the end.

All that said, the bulk of what he said about the Bears and Fields is absolutely true until this franchise fields an offense that proves otherwise.

Zerovoltz

Liked Posts:
So, what would they have done if they didn't hate Fields like you are claiming?
A great question!

you make the one big FA signing Teron Armstead at OT.

Then you throw small FA dollars at a bunch of OG and OT and see what might stick.

You sign a TE. Uzomah maybe, or Ty Conklin. Someone to pair up with Kmet.

you keep Khalil Mack........more because his dead money would prevent you from doing the above...but also, you are tyring to win, and Mack could still help with that.

You hire Brian Daboll....an OC who developed Josh Allen from a raw prospect to star QB....as your HC.

That's what it would look like if you were tyring to help out Fields and were focused on developing him.

As it is now, it has the look of eating a year to clear out dead cap/bad contracts, hired a D minded coach.....and traded assests for the kind of draft ammo you use when you are considering a new QB the next year......