Goldman is a luxury at this point

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Defense would have been fine without Goldman last year with a better scheme

Goldman is a luxury at this point
I think the money could be better deployed in other areas.

To me, Nichols is the priority on the DL.

I am not sure how many highly paid DLmen a 3-4 team needs or can have?

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I think the money could be better deployed in other areas.

To me, Nichols is the priority on the DL.

I am not sure how many highly paid DLmen a 3-4 team needs or can have?
meh, roll his money into Graham's replacement or a new LT, worry about Nichols later

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
He also expected him at the mini camp, so maybe instead of believing what a couple fo third parties say we just judge Goldman on his actions?

If someone takes a leave of absence from work and then doesn’t show up for their start date… I think it is fair to question whether they are coming back.
Go nuts pushing a bullshit narrative that has no merit, no substance, and his own fucking coach says his 2021 season isn't in doubt, he was just disappointed that EG wasn't at minicamp. But what does the head coach know?

Can we let pre-season start to see what happens or do we have to unnecessarily dissect another major improbability because you have ideas for the money he wouldn't get?

It cost him 200k to not show up. Why would anyone give up 200k because they are embarrassed to take their shirt off at the pool?
200K matters to people like you and me who aren't making 7+ figures to play a game.

Goldman still has 10.75 mil guaranteed money coming his way on his present deal and has already banked tens of millions. I still don't even know because last year he was due just under $4 mil guaranteed--but took the Covid opt-out of $350K--so I don't know if that's lost or if he gets another crack at it.

Pretty sure he's in a position to scoff at 200k while schlubs like you and me aren't. Consider it a stupid move, you're free to--but nobody said NFL players were exactly bright.

Last edited:

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't understand why people think he's retiring. If he really wants to retire, wouldn't something have come out about it already? I don't see the point in letting rumors float around and beating around the bush.

Montucky

Liked Posts:

@HeHateMe

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Goldman is clearly 400+ lbs and will spend the next 5 weeks doing a turbo cleanse to come in weak and a cardio disaster. Dude is gonna tear a hammy in the TC fitness tests and collect a season's worth of pay on IR.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Go nuts pushing a bullshit narrative that has no merit, no substance, and his own fucking coach says his 2021 season isn't in doubt, he was just disappointed that EG wasn't at minicamp. But what does the head coach know?

Can we let pre-season start to see what happens or do we have to unnecessarily dissect another major improbability because you have ideas for the money he wouldn't get?

200K matters to people like you and me who aren't making 7+ figures to play a game.

Goldman still has 10.75 mil guaranteed money coming his way on his present deal and has already banked tens of millions. I still don't even know because last year he was due just under $4 mil guaranteed--but took the Covid opt-out of $350K--so I don't know if that's lost or if he gets another crack at it.

Pretty sure he's in a position to scoff at 200k while schlubs like you and me aren't. Consider it a stupid move, you're free to--but nobody said NFL players were exactly bright.
It isn’t a bull shit narrative.

He didn’t show up for mandatory camp. He didn’t tell the team he wasn’t going to be there.

What Nagy thinks is irrelevant, because Nagy thought he would be there this week.

Until he shows up, you have to assume he is going to continue to flake out, they are, that is why they signed Pennel.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Goldman has 0 guaranteed dollars still coming to him.

In fact, if he no shows the Bears can claw back 6 million in signing bonus.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't understand why people think he's retiring. If he really wants to retire, wouldn't something have come out about it already? I don't see the point in letting rumors float around and beating around the bush.
Because he hasn’t shown up to work in almost 600 days.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Because he hasn’t shown up to work in almost 600 days.
Again, someone explain then why he wouldn't just say it? What is the point in leading your team on, only for you to just retire? It's such a terrible spot to put the guys you have fought with and for for years.

It makes zero sense for him to just keep not showing up only for him to end up retiring when he could just retire. Even if i disagree with it, missing last year makes sense. This doesn't.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
or RT. Jenkins can’t play 2 positions at once.
Did news not make it to the Left Coast that the Bears also drafted Larry Borom?

Borom also had the lowest QB pressure percentage (0%) last season among FBS offensive tackles according to Pro Football Focus.

I may be only a fan, but allowing 0% pressures against SEC DL's seems kinda like he may be servicable.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Goldman isn't retiring. He didn't show up for voluntary workouts. Big deal. He's clearly out of shape so it made more sense to show up at the end of July ready to go instead of showing up now and making it look even worse.
Wasn't there some interview during rookie OTAs where someone asked Nagy if he had seen Goldman and he responded that he looked great?

Did he mean great as in huge?

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Signing Mike is a very good move. NT insurance. Mike's also playing some of his best ball of recent.

Does anyone know what sort of physical shape Eddie is in?!

Also he had concussion issues which might be playing into his actions...

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Again, someone explain then why he wouldn't just say it? What is the point in leading your team on, only for you to just retire? It's such a terrible spot to put the guys you have fought with and for for years.

It makes zero sense for him to just keep not showing up only for him to end up retiring when he could just retire. Even if i disagree with it, missing last year makes sense. This doesn't.
He isn't going to retire with guaranteed money left on the table. If the Bears cut him he still gets quite a bit of cash. Right now that kind of feels like what may be going on, though nobody really knows aside from Goldman himself. I doubt the Bears even really have an idea of his current physical state.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
or RT. Jenkins can’t play 2 positions at once.
I never said he could…. But at this time it’s unknown whether we need to upgrade the LT or RT position. Jenkins and Borom might be able to hold down those spots for a while.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Could be he has been inside his own head a bit. Ever had a situation where you planned to do something you didn't have your heart into months in advance and when the day came you decided, "you know what I can't do this?" We have seen guys retire in their primes before for multitude of reasons, Patrick Willis, Luke Kuechly, Terrell Davis, Barry Sanders, Pat Tillman.

Could be he is showing doubt about his commitment to football and the Bears are trying to talk him into continuing his career.

Goldman doesn't come off as a workout warrior with a unquenchable thirst for the NFL. Regardless of what he would be giving up, he has made enough money to live the rest of his life as he sees fit. Maybe that is enough for him.

He very well may show up go to go at TC , but to not see warning signs is a bit naive, as the signing of Pennel proves.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Maybe he hasn’t made a final decision. Maybe he is trying to figure out the financial ramifications.

But no showing a mandatory camp after sitting out a year is a big red flag.