Miller: Carter to Bears at #9 (if available)

Moses Moreno

Liked Posts:
O
That means jack squat in regards to what's going to happen.

You don't think Vegas has a decent idea of what's happening? They're tuned into the rumors better than you and I and adjust the odds accordingly.

Friday update: Carter is now +270 to get drafted here, Lions are down to +380

He'd be our most talented defensive player we've drafted since Urlacher IMO.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
O

You don't think Vegas has a decent idea of what's happening? They're tuned into the rumors better than you and I and adjust the odds accordingly.

Friday update: Carter is now +270 to get drafted here, Lions are down to +380

He'd be our most talented defensive player we've drafted since Urlacher IMO.
More talented than Urlacher was coming out, imo.

Moses Moreno

Liked Posts:
More talented than Urlacher was coming out, imo.

I don't want to jinx it, but I was thinking about how fortunate the Hawks were that their mid to late 2000s moves worked out in such a way that gave them so much success for so long. Toews, Kane and Keith were such a core.

Fields should have never fallen past the second pick in his draft, to have him fall to 11 and be able to trade up for him was insane. Followed by us getting the 1st overall pick in such a crazy way and getting a pretty good haul for it was also insane. If Carter fell to 9, it would be another one of those charmed moments that hopefully led to an incredible run like the Hawks just had.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
The reason Carter could drop to the Bear is because it's not just about Carter. There is risk reward with him and other players with higher ratings than will be there at 9 that will off better alternatives at other positions of need for those teams. Lions need a CB and there's at least one special one. Raiders need a QB, CB, edge etc more than a DT and guys like Wilson, Gonzalez etc may still be options besides a couple QBs.

#1 greatest need for the Bear is a 3-tech and this is a very deep draft at OT. If Carter is gone at 9, which is still likely, or the Bear have crossed him off their sheet, I do not take a T. I maneuver to get a targeted 3 tech later in one or early 2 unless there's an edge/hybrid I really like to just stay there. If Poles and Cunningham are truly OL whisperers, they'll get their OT later in 2. Basically, I think it would be a mistake to not get a 3-tech before pick #53. Now they may have a sleeper 3-tech projected for later but that's playing smartest person in the room and other scouts will have similar grades on your targets. Better have 2 or 3 you really like to go that route.

So other teams should draft for their needs, Bears should ignore their needs and draft BPA as long as it's Carter and not OT?
#1 need for the Bears is to protect Fields. Failure to do so either costs 2 firsts next year to move up or a $25m/yr contract for a QB who hasn't proven they're worth keeping beyond 4 years.

If the Bears are whisperers of anything that would be defense who can wait until the late rounds. Bears have never proven themselves to be able to coach up an offense outside of RBs.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
So other teams should draft for their needs, Bears should ignore their needs and draft BPA as long as it's Carter and not OT?
#1 need for the Bears is to protect Fields. Failure to do so either costs 2 firsts next year to move up or a $25m/yr contract for a QB who hasn't proven they're worth keeping beyond 4 years.

If the Bears are whisperers of anything that would be defense who can wait until the late rounds. Bears have never proven themselves to be able to coach up an offense outside of RBs.
Your post makes no sense. The Bears have plenty of needs. So if they go another route other than OT then it’s probably BPA at another position of need.

Explain to all of us how failure to draft OT at #9 means coats the Bears 2 first round draft picks next year?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Your post makes no sense. The Bears have plenty of needs. So if they go another route other than OT then it’s probably BPA at another position of need.

Explain to all of us how failure to draft OT at #9 means coats the Bears 2 first round draft picks next year?
Rat guy almost never makes logical statements

BeerFan

Liked Posts:
Carter too much of a risk. Bears, in my personal opinion which means nothing like nearly all who post here, Bears should draft Paris, OT OSU, to anchor position for the next 10 years. Given recent history,, I think if they draft Carter, they will trade him in 3-4 years prior to exercising 5th year option on him. I think he's a higher risk of derailing similar to Aldon Smith of the 49ers. Great flash but extinguished too soon due to poor decisions.

BeerFan

Liked Posts:
Carter too much of a risk. Bears, in my personal opinion which means nothing like nearly all who post here, Bears should draft Paris, OT OSU, to anchor position for the next 10 years. Given recent history,, I think if they draft Carter, they will trade him in 3-4 years prior to exercising 5th year option on him. I think he's a higher risk of derailing similar to Aldon Smith of the 49ers. Great flash but extinguished too soon due to poor decisions.
With that said, if there's a team that wants Carter at 9 and a trade to a team lower in the draft would not jeopardize the Bears be able to take Paris, by all means, go for it!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
With that said, if there's a team that wants Carter at 9 and a trade to a team lower in the draft would not jeopardize the Bears be able to take Paris, by all means, go for it!
The Bears are not trading the number nine pick to a team lower than them to grab Carter. If Carter falls as far as number nine, which is unlikely, the Bears are definitely drafting him.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

If only drafts could be as simple as you are. 3-tech DT may be the weakest position in this draft and is also our greatest need. It's a deep T draft and will be a lot easier to pick up a viable RT later. Same with Edge. Obviously, you don't fuck your entire board to do things like that but you also get picks in that trade down. I know that many here will be upset if Poles goes D (if Carter and Wilson are gone) with the 1st pick after last year's draft but he couldn't give a shit. He'll do what he feels is overall best for this team.

He already got his 1st round WR in trade and the DL is a bigger problem than the OL right now. There will be lots of highly rated Ts in our 2nd and 3rd round picks this year plus , Poles will also gain a pick to trade up in 2 if there's one he prefers. There will be no projected top 3 techs by 53. It's a draft, so maybe they have a DE targeted that they think can play inside and available with a later pick but we don't know that.

Keion White is a guy I haven't seen projected there that I think could be moved inside at 3-tech and might still be on the board at 53 but it's not a given. Van Ness shows a ton of potential and is quick off the snap. He'd need to get lower but probably can. Neither is likely an instant 3-tech fix inside though they would help immediately, would likely take a year to become a more proto 3 tech if it ever happened.

Last edited:

bear4life21

ChiCitySports Newb
Liked Posts:
I sense that this is a ploy.. a smokescreen. tis the season. Draft is less than two weeks out. I bet Poles floated that out to drive up the interest in that player for a pick before 9 to better ensure a player more to Poles' liking drops to #9. for instance edge Wilson, Tackle Johnson Jr. or ermst CB Gonzo. Poles' could always trade the pick for more Capital as well.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I sense that this is a ploy.. a smokescreen. tis the season. Draft is less than two weeks out. I bet Poles floated that out to drive up the interest in that player for a pick before 9 to better ensure a player more to Poles' liking drops to #9. for instance edge Wilson, Tackle Johnson Jr. or ermst CB Gonzo. Poles' could always trade the pick for more Capital as well.
Teams do NOT draft players to prevent a team farther down the draft order from getting them!

They draft players they WANT, not players they don't want someone else to have.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'd actually love to see us trade down into the teens and take Calijah Kancey, and pick up an extra early 2nd rounder that we can use hopefully on an OT.

Liked Posts:
I'd much rather have Jalen Redmond with a later pick. When I watch Redmond I see alot of Tommie Harris.

Ultimately I'm holding out hope that Paris Johnson.

The Bears can finally end this merry go round at LT if Johnson is still there. Johnson is going to make a fine LEFT Tackle, not RT, but LEFT Tackle at the pro level

Every first round of the draft has that player that just quietly does everything right and this year its Paris Johnson.

Last edited:

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This would be a near perfect draft if the Bears could nab Jalen Carter. He’s the guy they would have initially probably drafted at #1 before the trade up and car incident. I’m not saying he doesn’t come with major risks, but he might be the most talented player in the entire draft. And a massive need on top of that.

IMO, him and Gonzalez are the best players in this draft class. But 3T is such a major need that Carter becomes the no brainer pick at #9, at least talent wise.