Mina Kimes insists Justin Fields is best QB situation NFC North

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I agree. Probably more because of the dysfunction in our division than our greatness...but I agree!

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The Vikings have a pretty good gig for a QB. Dome team, no rush for the rookie to play and Jefferson is a nice guy to hitch your wagon too.

My thoughts are Mina's assessment is still a bit off. Chicago is a good place, but there's still a chance coach/GM changes happen and ARob leaves in the 2022 offseason. If that's the case then there's a lot of unknown.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they were prepared to shift course at QB, how do you not trade up?

It is potentially a franchise altering move and they did nothing.

Pedro V

Liked Posts:
The Vikings have a pretty good gig for a QB. Dome team, no rush for the rookie to play and Jefferson is a nice guy to hitch your wagon too.

My thoughts are Mina's assessment is still a bit off. Chicago is a good place, but there's still a chance coach/GM changes happen and ARob leaves in the 2022 offseason. If that's the case then there's a lot of unknown.
QB situation. Not situation for a QB.
She's fucking right too!
Mina knows more about the NFL than this entire board combined.
Finally

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
too early to say this, mostly cause Rodgers prob isnt going anywhere. and while yes, he is a crybaby bitch fuckin weirdo, he also plays better when he is all pissed off

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
i hope Fields is the guy, i just watched OS vs Northwestern and he had a couple cheap INT's but man this dude runs like a RB...he is a great runner, IMO at least as good as Lance and I think he's a far better passer than Lance.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
QB situation. Not situation for a QB.
She's fucking right too!
Mina knows more about the NFL than this entire board combined.
Finally
Mina is extremely smart and unlike 99% of the sports world she's a legit journalist.

I somewhat disagree with her assessment, but that's just my opinion. Here's my take on all 4 NFC North spot with respect to the QB position:

Lions
  • Current roster talent - They are the worst. Really not much to get excited about.
  • Leadership - This might be the main problem with the franchise. They have a long history of being hands off and not holding GMs accountable. Their cap situation is good, but that's largely because they aren't that talented.
  • Salary Cap - Currently have 6th most cap room and In a good spot, but it's largely because they don't have many good players. 2022 actually has them with a relatively low amount of $, which is weird for such a crappy team.
  • Playing conditions - They play in a newer dome, so fairly consistent. I should say, this impacts players differently. It can form a specific team advantage for some, but certain QBs work best in consistent weather conditions.
  • Draft - They traded away their 2022 forth, got the Rams first rounder and an extra 7th

Bears

• Current roster talent - Offensively ARob, Mooney, Graham and Kmet are good and the defense could easily be top 10. If you remove ARob and Graham next year things look worse, but that's an unknown.
  • Leadership - You know about Virginia, George and Ted, so that's what it is. It's important to know there isn't much job security for Nagy or Pace.
  • Salary Cap - 2021 is pretty much done. Had to cut Fuller, which was unfortunate. In short, there won't be much cap room carrying over, but 2022 looks good.
  • Weather - Well, it's the windy city and it's earned that name. I'd add, all the 'QBs go to Chicago to die' does carry some weight when 1/2 your games are on Soldier Field.
  • Draft - Trading away the 2022 first and forth isn't great. Many feel based on the number of JRs that returned to school to build their draft profile it could be a stacked group.

Packers
  • Current roster talent - Probably the best right now, even without Rodgers, but certain contracts are coming due soon. Their OL is probably the best in the Division.
  • Leadership - Well, the whole Rodgers situation does show some of the inherent problems with their ownership model where there's no single individual you can appeal to if the GM is fucking things up.
  • Salary Cap - They have no money this year and predict to be ~$32M over the cap next year. They are boned there especially if they have to eat Rodgers' dead cap space.
  • Weather - It sucks, but it appears it creates a home field advantage. I do think with how Rodgers and before that Favre really excelled in the choppy weather we think any Packer QB can play well there. I have no idea how Jordan Love will perform under those conditions.
  • Draft - They look to have all their picks, but this could materially change if they trade Rodgers. I'm sure some team will go dumb trying to trade for him.
Vikings
  • Current roster talent - Offensively they are looking good for a few years with Cook, Jefferson and Smith. Defensively it's a work in progress.
  • Leadership - Spielman has been accumulating future assets. Organizationally they seem to be in a decent situation overall.
  • Salary Cap - They are better than the Bears this year and quite a bit worse next year.
  • Weather - They are a dome team, so fairly consistent.
  • Draft - Next year they lose either their 3rd or 4th due to the Yannick trade, but might also get a 5th.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The question was which QB situation was better not which QB has the best talent around them. The comparison was between Fields/Goff/Cousins/Love as she was assuming Rodgers was gone. Of those 4 choices I take Fields all day.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The question was which QB situation was better not which QB has the best talent around them. The comparison was between Fields/Goff/Cousins/Love as she was assuming Rodgers was gone. Of those 4 choices I take Fields all day.
If that's the case I'd go with Cousins.

1 - Of those QBs he's done the most in the NFL.
2 - His team's running game dictates favorable coverages.
3 - Jefferson + Thielen + Smith is probably the best 3 in the division in terms of getting open consistently.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If that's the case I'd go with Cousins.

1 - Of those QBs he's done the most in the NFL.
2 - His team's running game dictates favorable coverages.
3 - Jefferson + Thielen + Smith is probably the best 3 in the division in terms of getting open consistently.

At this point Cousins has no upside. He has shown he is a guy that gets nice stats but can't put a team over the hump. I take the unknown potential of Fields over him every day. This is especially obvious since the Vikes were prepared to draft Fields and move on from Cousins.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
At this point Cousins has no upside. He has shown he is a guy that gets nice stats but can't put a team over the hump. I take the unknown potential of Fields over him every day. This is especially obvious since the Vikes were prepared to draft Fields and move on from Cousins.

Yes, but you also have to know a rookie QB rarely performs that well in their first season. Look all the best QBs in the league and see how they did in their first year. I'm not saying their first year starting, but their first season. Look at the rookie seasons of Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson, etc...

All their rookie years were essentially a 'learning season'. If you like Kirk Cousins or not, his 2020 numbers of 16 games started, 67.6 completion percentage, 4265 yards, 35 tds, 13 ints for a 105 passer rating is better than any rookie will do in 2021. If that's around his floor you gotta like that for 2021.

Now if you are looking past this season and asking who will be better going forward, then no kidding I'd take the 22 year old first round pick over the 33 year old vet.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Yes, but you also have to know a rookie QB rarely performs that well in their first season. Look all the best QBs in the league and see how they did in their first year. I'm not saying their first year starting, but their first season. Look at the rookie seasons of Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson, etc...

All their rookie years were essentially a 'learning season'. If you like Kirk Cousins or not, his 2020 numbers of 16 games started, 67.6 completion percentage, 4265 yards, 35 tds, 13 ints for a 105 passer rating is better than any rookie will do in 2021. If that's around his floor you gotta like that for 2021.

Now if you are looking past this season and asking who will be better going forward, then no kidding I'd take the 22 year old first round pick over the 33 year old vet.

if his comp is Newton (hopefully) newton had a crap ton of INT's his first year but had a lot of rushing TDs, i honestly think Fields could legit be a RB in the league