Mina Kimes insists Justin Fields is best QB situation NFC North

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
if his comp is Newton (hopefully) newton had a crap ton of INT's his first year but had a lot of rushing TDs, i honestly think Fields could legit be a RB in the league
I wouldn't touch the Cam Newton comp for a few reasons:

1 - Usage - When Cam went to Carolina they were a run heavy offense where he essentially became their goaline back. No way Nagy sings that far in his scheme.

2 - Body - Newton had over 20 lbs on Fields at the same point in their careers (entering the league).

3 - You don't want that - Cam just turned 31 and he's somewhat of a shell of his former self. So many hits and injuries. If you think about it he's aged more like a RB than a QB, which is not what you want. IMHO you want Fields running, but also showing he knows how to avoid contact. If that's the case he shouldn't be fighting for that last yard to cross the goaline.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
hcx1xl0n50x61.jpg

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
i hope Fields is the guy, i just watched OS vs Northwestern and he had a couple cheap INT's but man this dude runs like a RB...he is a great runner, IMO at least as good as Lance and I think he's a far better passer than Lance.
As much as people hold the Northwestern and Indiana games against him, he's still young. If he is the truth like we hope he is, he learned from those games. The game he played against Clemson in the playoffs was fucking masterful.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
There was a rumor that the Vikings were taking Fields. So maybe they thought he would be better for their team than Cousins as well.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes, but you also have to know a rookie QB rarely performs that well in their first season. Look all the best QBs in the league and see how they did in their first year. I'm not saying their first year starting, but their first season. Look at the rookie seasons of Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson, etc...

All their rookie years were essentially a 'learning season'. If you like Kirk Cousins or not, his 2020 numbers of 16 games started, 67.6 completion percentage, 4265 yards, 35 tds, 13 ints for a 105 passer rating is better than any rookie will do in 2021. If that's around his floor you gotta like that for 2021.

Now if you are looking past this season and asking who will be better going forward, then no kidding I'd take the 22 year old first round pick over the 33 year old vet.

Don't think the question in the OP was limited to just this year. It was more a question of the best QB situation and it was left open as to how you define it. Watson was 103 his rookie year and Herbert was 98.3. I take both their rookie years over Cousins because you talking a comparable year with more future potential. I think it is also likely that if Mahomes had started his rookie year he probably has a Herbert rookie year given he threw for 50 TDs his 2nd year.

With the NFL going more and more to spread and college concepts, I think QB are more and more ready for the NFL. I view Fields as pretty NFL ready right now and so I don't think he ends up much worse than Cousins in 2021 and I think his upside beyond that is fair superior. Cousins underachieves when it counts. I personally don't view him as a particularly good QB and he wastes Jefferson, Thielen, Smith and Cook IMO. That Vikings team should be a perennial 10 win team with an actual good QB.

Last edited:

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
That Vikings team should be a perennial 10 win team with an actual good QB.
You mean, a QB like Justin Fields. I'm sure they would really like to get a guy like that.

Oh yeah!

Da Bears are dangling their nuts in their faces! OuR ballz are in deir facez!!!!!

It just feels so good, doesn't it, bro? Doesn't it?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The Vikings have a pretty good gig for a QB. Dome team, no rush for the rookie to play and Jefferson is a nice guy to hitch your wagon too.

My thoughts are Mina's assessment is still a bit off. Chicago is a good place, but there's still a chance coach/GM changes happen and ARob leaves in the 2022 offseason. If that's the case then there's a lot of unknown.
To hear anyone here tell it, coach gm changes would absolutely make it the best situation.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
As much as people hold the Northwestern and Indiana games against him, he's still young. If he is the truth like we hope he is, he learned from those games. The game he played against Clemson in the playoffs was fucking masterful.
His throwing hand was injured in the northwestern game.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Mina Kimes?

She’s married to Ashton Kutcher, right?

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
You mean, a QB like Justin Fields. I'm sure they would really like to get a guy like that.
They have had all the pieces except for that last part. Glad they and the Lions are in the NFCN. Sorry the Bears are “bearly” better than them. !!!!!!!!!

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
if his comp is Newton (hopefully) newton had a crap ton of INT's his first year but had a lot of rushing TDs, i honestly think Fields could legit be a RB in the league

Newton comp is dumb. Newton was a premium athlete with a big arm.

Fields is significantly better as a passer prospect. He is pass first, with elite touch and good decision making.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Fields is significantly better as a passer prospect. He is pass first, with elite touch and good decision making.
You wouldn't describe Fields as a premium athlete with a big arm?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Imagine the state of the Bears and this board if Vikings landed Justin Fields to pair with Justin Jefferson and we were left with Andy Dalton and Kellen Mond...
yup

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here is a highlight video of Fields...there are several things I see that I like.....

Pump Fakes
His ability to step up into the pocket to avoid pressure
and his determination.....take a look at the play at around the 5:11 mark

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:

In his introductory press conference Fields mentioned Cam Newton as his favorite QB growing up, but more recently has idolized Russel Wilson. Either way, I wouldn't say its a dumb comparison. I'm sure there are still components of Field's game that he originally took from Newton's style of play

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Yes, but you also have to know a rookie QB rarely performs that well in their first season. Look all the best QBs in the league and see how they did in their first year. I'm not saying their first year starting, but their first season. Look at the rookie seasons of Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson, etc...

All their rookie years were essentially a 'learning season'. If you like Kirk Cousins or not, his 2020 numbers of 16 games started, 67.6 completion percentage, 4265 yards, 35 tds, 13 ints for a 105 passer rating is better than any rookie will do in 2021. If that's around his floor you gotta like that for 2021.

Now if you are looking past this season and asking who will be better going forward, then no kidding I'd take the 22 year old first round pick over the 33 year old vet.

I took "QB situation" to mean more than this year, but for this year and beyond.

But to argue for the sake of it, Patrick Mahomes first real, full season was his MVP 50 TD season. Same thing could essentially be said and Lamar Jackson who was inserted at the end of his rookie year, but his first full season was an MVP year. Both those guys style seemed to take the league by storm their first year and have since slightly cooled off.

Also, Justin Herbert had a great year this past season, very similar to Kirk Cousins stats with not as good skilled players.

But with that said, most of these top rookie QBs are going to teams with depleted rosters. Many don't have a true #1 receiver yet. In many cases they are scrapping the roster and going through a complete rebuild. They are usually not inserted into a position to succeed. The odds are against guys like Zack Wilson and Trevor Lawrence because of this exact thing.

I agree though that Cousins had a very good, underrated year last season. Once Justin Jefferson got going, their offense was very formidable. Dalvin Cook, Thielen, and Jefferson are certainly the best skilled position group in the division. But in the end, Kirk Cousins is just not a winner. When the game is on the line, he usually comes up on the other end. Sure though, the Vikings supporting cast is better for their QB to succeed this year.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Disney. Agendas. Wakka wakka wakka

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I don't like the Newton comparison either. Fields can run, yeah. But I think he's a much better passer than Newton. I think that's what will set him apart from previous QBs that can run, and are mediocre passers.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't like the Newton comparison either. Fields can run, yeah. But I think he's a much better passer than Newton. I think that's what will set him apart from previous QBs that can run, and are mediocre passers.
I heard someone on the radio mention that at the worst, Fields is Daunte Culpepper