Minority Hires & Draft Picks

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That makes no sense. Where is the incentive for the team to make a minority hire? In fact, it would discourage minority hiring if it's someone in your division and you don't want to see your competitor pick up a third rounder due to your actions.

I believe the incentive is meant to be, the Team hires more minority candidates and, more importantly, commits to their development and long-term success, in order to build a pipeline of minority success stories whom get hired, and result in the Team receiving compensatory picks.

The flaw you describe is true, but it would still achieve more minority candidates if NFL Owners are participating in the overall scheme.

I think the real question, is if the NFL's Owners will participate in a meaningful way.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The only reason you should hire someone is because they are the best available person to make your club successful. The color of the person's skin should not matter.

That's the ideal.....but does it really happen? If "the best available person" is always hired why do these "discussions" still exist in the NFL? Why don't these issues exist in the NBA?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Question........Why doesn't the NBA have a Rooney Rule?
No ideal. I don't watch the NBA. Hockey or MLB don't have one either.

You want to be well versed on the issues and how they correlate to the professional sports landscape.
What If the NHL had only one white coach??? Look at the make up of NBA coaches compared to the NFL, Look at the make up coaches in the XFL compared to the NFL.

Ya gotta be able to compare & contrast when it comes to uncomfortable discussions. Ya gotta throw all the pieces out on the table

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You're right. We've seen so many posts on this board, twitter, other boards claiming the Bears are interviewing minority coaches because McCaskey is focused on that. It's then followed by "It's ok if they interview these guys as long as they hire the right guy." Maybe, just maybe, the Bears are bringing in the most qualified candidates, and what the Bears are doing SHOULD be the norm. Racism exists in the world and especially in the NFL.

Thanks.

Here's my deal. If Chubs41 has record of NFL success i,e. been a HC, been to SB, has 10-20 yrs of experience, respected as a leader, maybe has developed players, maybe is an x-NFL player etc. Then I come along
with say a total of 4-5 yrs experience and some marginal recent success and get the HC job over you, I just think that
scenario should be closely examined.

@Noonthirtyjoe

Last edited:

MurrDogg34

Liked Posts:
Thanks.

Here's my deal. If Chubs41 has record of NFL success i,e. been a HC, been to SB, has 10-20 yrs of experience, respected as a leader, maybe has developed players, maybe is an x-NFL player etc. Then I come along
with say a total of 4-5 yrs experience and some marginal recent success and get the HC job over you, I just think that

@Noonthirtyjoe
I'm not disagreeing with that. Nobody has been hired yet, though. All I'm saying is that the mindset of "They're interviewing minorities so he must not want to hire a white guy who has previous success." is completely wrong. The Bears are bringing in coaches/GMs with a variety of experience that show promise or have shown success, regardless of their color. That's a good thing. Teams haven't been doing that. That's a bad thing.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
This is how ppl think when they worship a bag of Cheetos.

Promoting diversity = racism.
So its not racism to promote one color over the other? Who knew America was never racist at all. cool.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Thanks.

@Noonthirtyjoe
That scenario should be examined. I want the guy that can devolope players and win games. Race should not factor in. Agree?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
That scenario should be examined. I want the guy that can devolope players and win games. Race should not factor in. Agree?

but what if that the first guy is a Pep Hamilton-Jim Caldwell type vs a Kellen Moore type
Yeah.....I just want it all to be fair, so these discussions don't have to exist about the NFL

Also >>>#45
and>>>#46

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's the ideal.....but does it really happen? If "the best available person" is always hired why do these "discussions" still exist in the NFL? Why don't these issues exist in the NBA?
Because not everyone rates things exactly the same....some attributes may be better for a given franchise. Its also fairly subjective.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Because not everyone rates things exactly the same....some attributes may be better for a given franchise. Its also fairly subjective.

The NBA doesn't go through this.
I just want it all to be fair, so these discussions don't have to exist about the NFL .

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This is how ppl think when they worship a bag of Cheetos.

Promoting diversity = racism.
It’s the wrong way to do it. Once you assign a different “value” to a person based on skin color it’s racist IMO. The Rooney rule isn’t racist because it’s just making sure you talk to people.
Actually making someone more “valuable” by assigning draft picks to it crosses into racism.

And I hate Cheetos for the record.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
It’s the wrong way to do it. Once you assign a different “value” to a person based on skin color it’s racist IMO. The Rooney rule isn’t racist because it’s just making sure you talk to people.
Actually making someone more “valuable” by assigning draft picks to it crosses into racism.

And I hate Cheetos for the record.
This guy gets it. I love cheetos myself but that subject and this one are unrelated in any way. Let's stay on topic just to say we did it once.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I'm not disagreeing with that. Nobody has been hired yet, though. All I'm saying is that the mindset of "They're interviewing minorities so he must not want to hire a white guy who has previous success." is completely wrong. The Bears are bringing in coaches/GMs with a variety of experience that show promise or have shown success, regardless of their color. That's a good thing. Teams haven't been doing that. That's a bad thing.
Their bringing in a diversity team to be part of the hiring process. Does that sound like their interested in getting the right football people or being pc??? What does a diversity team know about running a NFL football team? Is the diversity team looking out for our team or their own ajenda / interests?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The only reason you should hire someone is because they are the best available person to make your club successful. The color of the person's skin should not matter.
There's a decent amount of posters here who think the recommendations that Polian is going to make are a bunch of "his guys." So, yeah, the color of the person's skin shouldn't matter. Unfortunately, the NFL doesn't seem to be there yet.