Minority Hires & Draft Picks

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I'm not gonna go deep into a political thing. But if what you say is true.....why is the NFL down to 1 black HC?
Why do these 'discussions' still have to take place in the NFL, if everything "has changed". And why is it the NBA never has to have these 'discussions'?
I don't have all the answers but I know if a team thinks a guy can help them win they will hire that guy. Race religion sexual preference means nothing in todays world. Winning trumps them all. Lovie was my personal favorite coach. Never thought much of Iron Mike as a coach. Great guy tho.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I disagree. There was a time when that was the case but it's no longer that way. The world has changed.

I'm not gonna go deep into a political thing. But if what you say is true.....why is the NFL down to 1 black HC?
Why do these 'discussions' still have to take place in the NFL, if everything "has changed". And why is it the NBA never has to have these 'discussions'?

I don't have all the answers but I know if a team thinks a guy can help them win they will hire that guy. Race religion sexual preference means nothing in todays world. Winning trumps them all. Lovie was my personal favorite coach. Never thought much of Iron Mike as a coach. Great guy tho.

You say "I don't have all the answers" BUT...... ? :)Then u go back to "Race means nothing in todays world. Winning trumps them all."

Ok, then why do marginally to unqualified ppl continually get hired over more qualified ppl?
why is the NFL down to 1 black HC?

And as mentioned earlier ......

why is it the NBA never has to have these 'discussions' and or these issues on fair practices for HC's / decision makers?

If ya can't honestly answer these questions, then we should let it go.

Last edited:

menacemanic

Liked Posts:
I disagree. There was a time when that was the case but it's no longer that way. The world has changed.

You say "I don't have all the answers" BUT...... ? :)Then u go back to "Race means nothing in todays world. Winning trumps them all."

Ok, then why do marginally to unqualified ppl continually get hired over more qualified ppl?
why is the NFL down to 1 black HC?

And as mentioned earlier ......

why is it the NBA never has to have these 'discussions' and or these issues on fair practices for HC's / decision makers?

If ya can't honestly answers for these questions, then we should let it go.
Care to explain the last part everything else was on point

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Care to explain the last part everything else was on point

I was in a hurry........ what I meant to say too the OP was...If ya can't honestly answer these questions, then we should let it go.

Canth

Liked Posts:
That makes no sense. Where is the incentive for the team to make a minority hire? In fact, it would discourage minority hiring if it's someone in your division and you don't want to see your competitor pick up a third rounder due to your actions.
If I remember right, at the time, there were rumors they would give comp picks to the hiring team. However, the concern there was that the hiring team would potentially just be hiring the person for the comp picks - and that it could turn them into a figurehead position. So, they would have other people making the decisions and they would fire/hire a minority every so often for draft picks.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bears promote champ and get the comp picks. Assistant GM hired by Kelley……Ryan pace. Bears playing 4D chinese checkers

You only get the picks if they are hired by another club and stay employed for 2 years.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
The incentive in regards to this is to open up an infrastructure within your own organization to allow for minorities to see a more steady pathway to meaningful promotion. This allows there to be a more equal representation to the positions that precede a GM position.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
I think it is the right way to go about this issue - as it stems from a disparity within scouting and personnel departments from the ground up. The best person for the job is only going to be the best person or the job if they have the ability to operate under tutelage and grow within an organization. It also still allows for the hiring team to still hire the GM of their choice without a sense of bias via benefit of immediate and impactful draft choices being awarded.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
The incentive in regards to this is to open up an infrastructure within your own organization to allow for minorities to see a more steady pathway to meaningful promotion. This allows there to be a more equal representation to the positions that precede a GM position.
A pathway to meaningful promotion is not meaningful at all if given for any reason other then it's earned by being better then the competition. Racism is promoted by rules like this roony rule. Equal means equal as in no form of favoritism to anyone. No edge for anyone.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
A pathway to meaningful promotion is not meaningful at all if given for any reason other then it's earned by being better then the competition. Racism is promoted by rules like this roony rule. Equal means equal as in no form of favoritism to anyone. No edge for anyone.

Question........Why doesn't the NBA have a Rooney Rule?

Bust

Liked Posts:
Bears shouldn't be pressured into any minority hires by my girl Tanesha, they already met their quota by hiring Lovie Smith back in the day and giving the Hindu vegan Sean Desai a first ever opportunity as d-coordinator.

It's Jim Harbaugh or bust boyz . . .

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I have black friends.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Interesting question.
That's it. Hire Smith as a QB coach and then rehire him as GM. LOL Doubt that works.

I agree that it seems odd to give compensation to the team that the black hire is being promoted from.
Maybe the old guard can't get past their slave trading heritage.

BOOM!!!

Honestly, it seems counterintuitive and a way to do some token civil rights.

What am I missing?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only reason you should hire someone is because they are the best available person to make your club successful. The color of the person's skin should not matter.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The NFL should pay 5-10% of first time minority HC’s and GM’s salary along with comp pick structure that is already in place.

That way both clubs have incentive to hire and develop minority coaches and execs.

Negotiate the cost out of the owners shared profit. Put the rule in place until minorities have a statistically proportional amount of high ranking jobs. This will further incentivize the owners who aren’t receiving the minority benefit to hire qualified minorities as eventually the money set aside for this program will be put back in the profit share.

Of course it is highly unlikely the NFL and the owners put actual money where their mouths are. Extra draft picks don’t cost the owners shit and will barely affect the way they do things.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
The NFL should pay 5-10% of first time minority HC’s and GM’s salary along with comp pick structure that is already in place.

That way both clubs have incentive to hire and develop minority coaches and execs.

Negotiate the cost out of the owners shared profit. Put the rule in place until minorities have a statistically proportional amount of high ranking jobs. This will further incentivize the owners who aren’t receiving the minority benefit to hire qualified minorities as eventually the money set aside for this program will be put back in the profit share.

Of course it is highly unlikely the NFL and the owners put actual money where their mouths are. Extra draft picks don’t cost the owners shit and will barely affect the way they do things.
So youre for racism? Lets give one group based on skin color preferential treatment over the others.

MurrDogg34

Liked Posts:
You're right. We've seen so many posts on this board, twitter, other boards claiming the Bears are interviewing minority coaches because McCaskey is focused on that. It's then followed by "It's ok if they interview these guys as long as they hire the right guy." Maybe, just maybe, the Bears are bringing in the most qualified candidates, and what the Bears are doing SHOULD be the norm. Racism exists in the world and especially in the NFL.