Minshew vs Trask, Mond, Mills

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Let's for the sake of this thread assume Pace can't get one of the top 5 QB's in the draft.

Who is more likely to succeed long term in your opinion in the NFL? Is it Minshew? or one of the next three QB's? Trask, Mond or Mills.

Minshew has started 20 games in the NFL already with a 62.9% completion percentage. 93.1 rating. 37 TD's to 11 INT's.

Looking at the "second tier" of QB's do you think any of them can match or exceed those numbers? Given the history of QB's in the draft there's a real shot all three of these guys bust and don't exceed that level of production.

I think Pace is obviously going to try and move heaven and earth to trade up. It's his MO. But if that doesn't work..... what's a better plan B? Trask, Mond, Mills? or a Minshew trade?

Anyways..... just a thought. I'm bored and hope one of the top 5 QB's falls but I sure as hell ain't expecting it.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
iI would rather have a guy like Mills or Mond with a higher ceiling. Minshew has already been figured out by the NFL and he sucks. Mike Glennon was getting starts in front of Minshew last season.

2Deep

Liked Posts:
I think Minshew is better then Mond, Trask.............I just think that Davis Mills is going to be a good NFL QB. One caveat to Mills is he needs to sit for one year and learn. He cannot come in right away and start.

So I would take either of Mills or Minshew.

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
Short answer: Nobody

Minshew is great throwing short, quick reads, but his arm strength is lacking. I’ve seen people on this forum say you can fix that, but really you can only get the most out of what’s already there—so with Minshew the field gets compacted. He’s a fun player and I’m glad he’s found success, but I believe we are looking for more than he offers.

Mond I don’t hate, but I wonder what about the game comes easily to him? It doesn’t seem to be anything that happens on the field. I think you need to have something effortless to fall back on and I don’t see it here. Maybe it’s his preparation? Is that enough?

Trask is likely going to be a solid backup for many years. There’s nothing inspiring about his game, but there’s nothing horrifying either.

Mills is a weird one. He looked kinda rough in-game, but then he had that really good pro day. Still, you’d rather have it the other way around, right?

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
Without a great OL they will all suck. Build the OL, and the QB will come.

if pressed, and we just can’t wait, then Minshew.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I don't know what's up with Minshew. Jags obviously don't think he's the guy and no other team appears to be offering much for him.

I don't get it, but then again, I don't watch many Jags games, so maybe the stats are a bit misleading. I'm thinking he's like Blake Bortles where the stats are mainly garbage time/checkdown stuff, but again without watching that's just a guess.

For the other guys I'd default to Dane Brugler's 'The Beast' draft prep, which has them ranked Mills, Trask then Mond. Just for your reference he puts a 3rd round grade on Mills and a 4th on Trask and Mond.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
With the way this draft seems to be running, I think Pace'd still grab Mond. I get that Mills passes the eyeball test, but the issue is that Pace knows he needs to walk away with a QB. I was listening to a podcast and the guy who was doing a mock draft, Bear Report I think, contacted the dude who runs the Jaguars' site and that guy said that he thinks Minshew could be had for a fifth!

Now, I think I'd rather have the 2nd go to BPA as opposed to a QB. I don't think Mills, Mond, or Trask falls into the 3rd, let alone the 4th, and that's my problem with them. I'd rather have Jabril Cox with a 2nd pick then Mond, and I like Mond. So, I'd rather chuck a 5th at the Jags and retool the shed for next year with good players at OT, DB, and WR.

bufordht

Liked Posts:

if pressed, and we just can’t wait, then Minshew.

I don't exactly agree, but it does bet the question if they can get Minshew for Dalton/Foles plus a 5th or something and then build the trenches through the draft, does that build a better team than giving up a fortune to move up? I don't know what jax would ask for him, they don't really need to move him, he's a nice backup for cheap

We'll never know.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Trask most likely, followed by Mond and Mills. Trask is the best thrower and its not even close.
Mond is more athletic, good in the clutch and more battled tested, but a less talented passer.

Mills... 11 starts at a small school, not particularly accurate, doesn't process the whole field yet, just huge questions marks. At least the other 2 actually did something in a real conference.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
With the way this draft seems to be running, I think Pace'd still grab Mond. I get that Mills passes the eyeball test, but the issue is that Pace knows he needs to walk away with a QB. I was listening to a podcast and the guy who was doing a mock draft, Bear Report I think, contacted the dude who runs the Jaguars' site and that guy said that he thinks Minshew could be had for a fifth!

Now, I think I'd rather have the 2nd go to BPA as opposed to a QB. I don't think Mills, Mond, or Trask falls into the 3rd, let alone the 4th, and that's my problem with them. I'd rather have Jabril Cox with a 2nd pick then Mond, and I like Mond. So, I'd rather chuck a 5th at the Jags and retool the shed for next year with good players at OT, DB, and WR.

I think if that were the case Minshew would already be traded. My purely uniformed guess is they're holding out for a team to get desperate and offer up a second or third plus another pick.

46plank

Liked Posts:
Trask most likely, followed by Mond and Mills. Trask is the best thrower and its not even close.
Mond is more athletic, good in the clutch and more battled tested, but a less talented passer.

Mills... 11 starts at a small school, not particularly accurate, doesn't process the whole field yet, just huge questions marks. At least the other 2 actually did something in a real conference.
Stanford is a small school? And in the PAC 12

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Its about cost. If Gardner Minshew comes in and succeeds then the Bears only have two cheap years left. Kyle Trask, Kellen Mond and Davis Mills (presuming they are taken in the second) all have four years of control.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Minshew is not a destination and upside is now limited compared to his current play. Mond has the best physical tools but his in game indecisiveness is a concern. Trask has questionable arm strength beside needing to stay in pocket.

The reason Mills is 6th on many boards is because he has the tools and seemed to go through progressions in his short career. Not the most mobile but mobile enough, all the throws but occasionally throws a flyer. If a team sees an easy fix for that, hell go 6th simply due to potential while Mond and Trask have shown so much more in their college careers. I'm glad I don't need to make that choice.

Last edited:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Minshew sucks and has one or two years left. The other we can have locked up for four years and have a chance they won’t suck but the inevitable is they all suck so might as well stick to cheapest options. Why give another draft pick to Jaguars pace already got fleeces with the foles trade

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Let's for the sake of this thread assume Pace can't get one of the top 5 QB's in the draft.

Who is more likely to succeed long term in your opinion in the NFL? Is it Minshew? or one of the next three QB's? Trask, Mond or Mills.

Minshew has started 20 games in the NFL already with a 62.9% completion percentage. 93.1 rating. 37 TD's to 11 INT's.

Looking at the "second tier" of QB's do you think any of them can match or exceed those numbers? Given the history of QB's in the draft there's a real shot all three of these guys bust and don't exceed that level of production.

I think Pace is obviously going to try and move heaven and earth to trade up. It's his MO. But if that doesn't work..... what's a better plan B? Trask, Mond, Mills? or a Minshew trade?

Anyways..... just a thought. I'm bored and hope one of the top 5 QB's falls but I sure as hell ain't expecting it.

Give me the rookie, more upside and unkown.

The time to trade for Minshew was before you pissed away 10 million on Andy Dalton.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Give me the rookie, more upside and unkown.

The time to trade for Minshew was before you pissed away 10 million on Andy Dalton.

That's easy to say as an internet GM..... but when you're Pace and Nagy with your jobs on the line? I'm not saying I'd love this move. But I could really see Pace thinking two vet QB's might be the safer way to go. And yeah we have Foles but that failed miserably.

Anyways, hopefuly a picture of one of the top 5 QB's wearing a bong mask surfaces on draft day.

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats

Maybe that's Pace's secret plan - build up the rest of the team, let the QB suck, and then the top FA QBs will want to come to Chicago. Until the QB savior signs on the dotted line, we'll be getting decent draft picks to keep upgrading the team.